Author Topic: Sudden appearance of Rakhas!  (Read 2984 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Sudden appearance of Rakhas!
« on: January 29, 2022, 04:59:03 PM »
Found a planet with a colony cost of 0.127. Fully surveyed the system landed infrastructure and 1.87 million colonists. So far so normal. Then a survey ship went to visit and suddenly a  ground force of 1700 Rakhas had appeared. They have not attacked (yet). But they should have at least shown up on the initial planetary survey. They have not used STO weapons either.

The game is 72 years in v 1.13. I have found 7 other Rakhas colonies all but one cost a survey ship. One appeared to only attack with one STO, all the others were overwhelming.
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Sudden appearance of Rakhas!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »
Found a planet with a colony cost of 0.127. Fully surveyed the system landed infrastructure and 1.87 million colonists. So far so normal. Then a survey ship went to visit and suddenly a  ground force of 1700 Rakhas had appeared. They have not attacked (yet). But they should have at least shown up on the initial planetary survey. They have not used STO weapons either.

The game is 72 years in v 1.13. I have found 7 other Rakhas colonies all but one cost a survey ship. One appeared to only attack with one STO, all the others were overwhelming.

Not all Rakhas have STO. The other ground forces would only be detected by active sensors.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:30:25 PM »

Not all Rakhas have STO. The other ground forces would only be detected by active sensors.

Ok but is it normal for them to just ignore a defenseless civilian colony like that?

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 05:33:17 AM »
Update: I have dropped a substantial ground force on the planet. No response from the Rakhas. Change their status from neutral to hostile and I still cannot engage the Rakhas.
IanD

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 03:17:49 AM »
I have rock checker scouts.  They visit every colonizable rock with a res 1 active sensor.  The range is pitiful in deep space, but since they get within 10,000 km, they can detect anything detectable with an active sensor quite economically.

Much cheaper to have them visit anything you are considering landing on before sending colonists and infrastructure there.  A fraction of the cost of a survey ship, and they don't need anywhere near at much time to scan each rock.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
Putting a small resolution 1 active sensor on survey ships ensures that you will not get shot into pieces by Rakka or Precursor STOs, as you will detect ground forces at maximum sensor range. As long as that is > 5 light-seconds you are golden and your ships cannot be engaged. Passive sensors are pretty nice, as STOs have active sensor components, which allow you to distinguish between grunts and anti ship weapons.

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:12:12 PM »
Putting a small resolution 1 active sensor on survey ships ensures that you will not get shot into pieces by Rakka or Precursor STOs, as you will detect ground forces at maximum sensor range. As long as that is > 5 light-seconds you are golden and your ships cannot be engaged. Passive sensors are pretty nice, as STOs have active sensor components, which allow you to distinguish between grunts and anti ship weapons.

If the turn increment sub-pulse is long enough for your ship to move from outside active sensor range to inside the STO's firing range, you will still get blown up.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 10:45:43 PM »
Update: I have dropped a substantial ground force on the planet. No response from the Rakhas. Change their status from neutral to hostile and I still cannot engage the Rakhas.

Are your formations set on field position front line attack?

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 04:07:07 AM »
The initial scout had its active sensors off! I assume that's why I missed the Rakhas initially, they don't all have STOs.

However, the ground units always have the super heavy and ultra heavy armour units set to front line attack. The infantry brigades are set to front line defence until resistance lessens. In this case I set all to front line attack once there was no engagement. I have kept a garrison of 550,000 tons of ground forces just in case the Rakhas suddenly spring to life.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 04:09:05 AM by IanD »
IanD

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »
I just had Rakhas appear in my 1.13 game as well.  This occurred on one of my first colonies (1 jump from Sol).  I landed colonists on the world in 2049.  The atmosphere was breathable but it was an iceball - about 1.5cc.  After thawing it out the terraforming fleet moved on to other worlds leaving a pair of ships behind to dry things out a bit (100% Hydrosphere).  It is now 2062 and I have 27M colonists with over 200 construction factories and a refueling and maintenance depot.  I sent a geo survey ship in for overhaul and it discovered the Rakhas ground forces.  My early survey ships did not have active sensors but after one was blown up by precursors I started including basic thermal, EM, and R1 active sensors.  So it is possible they've been there all along but somehow I never noticed them.