Author Topic: Forum Avatar - limitations? Size restriction?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Thundercraft (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
Forum Avatar - limitations? Size restriction?
« on: April 09, 2022, 01:28:56 PM »
I've been away a while. And I noticed that my old forum avatar was broken because the URL it was linked to is gone.

So, I replaced it. However, the "Personalized Picture" section on the "forum profile" area seems very vague. Unlike other forums I've participated on, there is no mention of the size (resolution) restriction for avatars, nor is there a mention of whether .PNG, .JPEG, .GIF or whatever formats are accepted.

Can anyone tell me?

I also noticed that most forum avatars are tiny at 65x65 pixels, while the automatically-generated forum avatars ("T", "W", "S", etc.) are quite large at about 125x125.

I did notice at least one large avatar that was not auto-generated which has a resolution of 120x120. So, I created my own avatar image at 120x120 resolution in .JPG and uploaded it. But, for some reason, the forum automatically reduces the display of this avatar down to 65x65...? ??? Is that normal?

Q: Is there some combination of image format and resolution that the forum will display above a resolution of 65x65? If such a thing is really not possible, then why is it some forum avatars (e.g., forum member TMaekler) display as 120x120?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:31:49 PM by Thundercraft »
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Forum Avatar - limitations? Size restriction?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 02:13:08 PM »
Not sure about the resizing, but TMaekler's icon is one of the "provided" icons.