Author Topic: 4.1 Bugs  (Read 10246 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: 4.1 Bugs
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
You are going to hate me!
Not at all. This was the whole reason for releasing the game before I had completed testing. With several people looking, the bugs get found much faster.

I created a new game, but then noticed it wasn't what I preferred so deleted it and then went in and created another one.

All I changed from the default settings was game name, empire name, main empire theme, commander theme, and unchecked 'assign starting tech points automatically'

Error in CreateShippingLine
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Recordset
No Current record.

Had to click through a few of them.

I restored the v4.1 DB and tried it again and it worked fine. Maybe something to do with the DB cleanup when deleting a game?
CreateShippingLine selects a random record from a couple of tables to generate a name - just a guess but do you have a machine race name theme selected? Or are you using NPRs, because one of those might be using the theme. The machine race theme generates names rather than selecting theme from a list so the CreateShippingLine function wouldn't find a name, resulting in this error. I have added a generic name in case this happens in future.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 09:28:36 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
You are going to hate me!
Not at all. This was the whole reason for releasing the game before I had completed testing. With several people looking, the bugs get found much faster.

I created a new game, but then noticed it wasn't what I preferred so deleted it and then went in and created another one.

All I changed from the default settings was game name, empire name, main empire theme, commander theme, and unchecked 'assign starting tech points automatically'

Error in CreateShippingLine
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Recordset
No Current record.

Had to click through a few of them.

I restored the v4.1 DB and tried it again and it worked fine. Maybe something to do with the DB cleanup when deleting a game?
CreateShippingLine selects a random record from a couple of tables to generate a name - just a guess but do you have a machine race name theme selected? Or are you using NPRs, because one of those might be using the theme.

Steve

I was using the US theme, not sure what the generated NPR was using and I have since overwritten the DB. So far so good with the game I am currently on.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
I was using the US theme, not sure what the generated NPR was using and I have since overwritten the DB. So far so good with the game I am currently on.
I'll bet it was the NPR - didn't happen in my game because the machine race theme was never used but that would cause the exact problem you described.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
Magazines do not appear on the Technology Report dropdown.

Is it possible for you to display technology dropdowns in alphabetical order by any chance? Tis just a nice to half, nothing world ending though :)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »
Completion Date is blank on a commercial shipyard when constructing.

New game, retool shipyard for a GE design and it got retooled straight away. Select the shipyard, task type construction, select the GE design -> no completion date is displayed. You can set task and it seems to be added correctly, with a completion date displaying in shipyard tasks window.

Is 2 years and 10 months to build a 15k ton GE in a 16k ton commercial shipyard correct?

My game started with 4 commercial shipyards and 0 navy shipyards, ranging from 80k tons to 15k tons. It kinda freaked me out a bit until I remembered that you had increase commercial engine sizes and cargo holds etc!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
Magazines do not appear on the Technology Report dropdown.

Is it possible for you to display technology dropdowns in alphabetical order by any chance? Tis just a nice to half, nothing world ending though :)
Magazines added and dropdown changed to alphabetical. However, magazines won't automatically appear until the next version with a database update even though the code will be in the next exe update. If you want to activate them in the next exe update, you will have to manully tick the Components field of the Magazine record in the ResearchCategories table.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »

New game, retool shipyard for a GE design and it got retooled straight away. Select the shipyard, task type construction, select the GE design -> no completion date is displayed. You can set task and it seems to be added correctly, with a completion date displaying in shipyard tasks window.
I can't recreate this one. Just to be certain, do you mean the completion date for a ship built in that shipyard, not a completion date for an upgrade or retooling for the shipyard?

Is 2 years and 10 months to build a 15k ton GE in a 16k ton commercial shipyard correct?

My game started with 4 commercial shipyards and 0 navy shipyards, ranging from 80k tons to 15k tons. It kinda freaked me out a bit until I remembered that you had increase commercial engine sizes and cargo holds etc!
Commercial shipyards are really designed to build large, cheap (in terms of cost per ton) ships. Building an expensive (in terms of cost per ton) ship will be very slow. You need a naval shipyard for smaller, expensive ships.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
Quote from: "rdgam"
Also ships under overhaul can leave the planet without leaving overhaul.
I got some warning about survey ships not being able to carry out their special orders in Sol.  Before this only occurred after overhaul was done.
I ordered them away and was surprised to discover that they still had overhauling listed on the ship when the fleet was not in Sol.
Fixed this one. Fleets will no longer carry out orders when in overhaul

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »
Error in SetupPirates
Error 3201 was generated by DAO.Recordset
You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Missiles'.
These can appear several times in one new system or just once.
Found this one too and it is a serious one. Fixed without a DB upgrade but I will need to get a new exe out tonight

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »

I can't recreate this one. Just to be certain, do you mean the completion date for a ship built in that shipyard, not a completion date for an upgrade or retooling for the shipyard?

Commercial shipyards are really designed to build large, cheap (in terms of cost per ton) ships. Building an expensive (in terms of cost per ton) ship will be very slow. You need a naval shipyard for smaller, expensive ships.

Steve

I was building the GE and SS ships and they were being classified as commercial, guess if I had wanted thermal and em sensors it would have been changed to navy.

see attached gif for the missing date

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »
Also ships under overhaul can leave the planet without leaving overhaul.
I got some warning about survey ships not being able to carry out their special orders in Sol.  Before this only occurred after overhaul was done.
I ordered them away and was surprised to discover that they still had overhauling listed on the ship when the fleet was not in Sol.
Fixed this one. Fleets will no longer carry out orders when in overhaul

Steve
A related one from 4.0b (that this reminded me of) - If an order fails for a ship that's in overhaul, (e.g. you accidentally gave it's task force a refuel order after the "enter overhaul" order, which then failed with "ships in overhaul can't carry out order), the task force's location goes away from being in orbit - this can be seen on the 3rd tab of the TF (F12) screen.  This causes the ship to not actually get overhauled, since it's not in orbit.

Haven't done an experiment to prove that's what's going on, but I've had this happen to me several times and am pretty sure that's what's going on.

Low priority....

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »
I was building the GE and SS ships and they were being classified as commercial, guess if I had wanted thermal and em sensors it would have been changed to navy.

see attached gif for the missing date
Thanks for the screenshot. If you reselect on the construction option or the class type, does a date appear?

Edited: Sorry I mislead you with the original reply - updated one is here

Commercial ships build slowly compared to a naval vessel of the same size. That isn't usually a problem because commercial ships are usually much larger and larger ships build faster so it evens itself out. Large but relatively cheap ships are best in commercial shipyards. Small, expensive commercial vessels are very slow to build. Commercial shipyards can be increased in size really quickly compared to naval shipyards and far more cheaply in both money and minerals so very large commercial shipyards are easy to get. The downside is that commercial vessels are are treated as one quarter their actual size in terms of build speed and you can only build 'commercial vessels' in commercial shipyards. That is fine for a 40,000 ton freighter that only costs 400 BP but for a 10,000 ton commercial geosurvey ship that costs 1200 BP, it will be incredibly slow. A naval shipyard can build a military version of the geosurvey ship more quickly but couldn't build the freighter because it is far too big.

The actual formula for build rate is:

Class Size is tons/50
If Commercial Vessel = True Then Class Size = Class Size / 4

BRMultiple = ClassSize / 100
BRMultiple = 1 + ((BRMultiple - 1) / 2)
Actual Build Rate = BRMultiple * Racial SY Build Rate

I guess the bottom line is, if you want a commercial geosurvey ship that uses little fuel and doesn't require maintenance, you can get one but it will be slow to build and probably slow in tactical terms. A military version will be smaller and faster and will be built much quicker but it will require maintenance and it will use more fuel.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
Beersatron - I updated the previous reply. Just flagging it in case you didn't notice

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 10:45:30 PM »
Two (both minor):

1)  With a "conventional" start (not TN), it says that you get 1/4 as many research points, but no tech or RP appear after the game has started (it appears).  I had auto-select tech ticked.

2)  On the tech tab of the F2 screen, selecting the "Research Project" field doesn't update the Technology Description box.  Clicking the "Field" field does, however.  Also, if you play with the column widths (moving "Field" to the left) shows a "Pre-Req Two" column appearing.  More weird than a problem....

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
Did a non-TN start, but had 3 NPR.  My first 5 day increment only went 2 days (but blindingly fast :-) ), presumably due to the NPR.  Got an "Error in NPRPopPlanning" in the first econ update.  Note that I was getting these sporadically for the last couple of weeks in my 4.0b game - it looked like it was due to NPR running out of minerals.

John