Author Topic: Potential vs Confirmed Bugs  (Read 18450 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Potential vs Confirmed Bugs
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 07:34:55 AM »
I agree that it is more work to set it up, but this work only needs to be done once and can probably be assigned to the volunteer bug moderators. Dwarf Fortress worked with a bug report forum just like this one for years, but now I don't think they would ever go back to that. The advantages are a benefit for everyone.

At work, several teams in my department uses JIRA for analytics requests and we also use Confluence for IT projects, so I am familiar with the type of software involved. I avoid them personally because my experience has been that they create a bureaucratic wall between the stakeholders and the delivery department, but if the various teams believe they can make it work I am not going to stand in their way. I always deal direct with people by email or instant chat because it works better for me and that personal connection helps a lot I need their help. My philosophy is always the least amount of process necessary to get the job done.

I am hoping that the moderator concept will keep communication flowing in an easy way but enable me to spend my own time more effectively. I'm not trying to make Aurora players into professional testers - I just need a low process approach that can handle the fact they are not.
With all due respect, Steve, and having suffered under such idiocy myself at work, the moderator system itself is that very 'bureaucratic wall', not whichever software tool happens to be in use.  The problems happen when the lines of communication are cut off entirely, which in my experience is invariably due to incompetence and petty turf wars among management, and frankly I haven't seen any of that from your team.  As long as there is open communication between yourself, your mods, and us players, so that systemic problems can be brought to light and dealt with, then the system will continue to work as intended.  As for what tool is used, whether the old bug thread, the new bug forum, or a more specialized system, that really comes down to workload, and time will tell.

Cheers.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »
About WAI or not. In cases where this is not certain I think we should pass it on to Steve as long as the bug report meet other criteria. He is the ultimate and as I see it only authority on such things. If we can filter out the ones where he already answered in the past we still save a lot of his time here compared to before.
I think it would be worth feeding most or some of the results into the FAQ thread.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 11:03:39 AM »
I wanted to note that the confirmed bug thread is still invisible, and that's kind of annoying. I want to know what bugs have been fixed so far, basically.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 11:16:30 AM »
I wanted to note that the confirmed bug thread is still invisible, and that's kind of annoying. I want to know what bugs have been fixed so far, basically.

I've created a changes post with the bug fixes so far.

The following users thanked this post: Zincat, punchkid, skoormit, Pedroig

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »

I've created a changes post with the bug fixes so far.

That works great, yeah. Thanks.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
It would still be nice to be able to see the list of confirmed bugs, as a sort of more up-to-date list of known issues

The following users thanked this post: Cosinus

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Yeah, for example I took a break after a couple weeks, and every few days I've been scanning through the reported bugs to decide if it's time for me to start up a longer campaign. Now it's not really easy to do that, because the "potential" bug thread is even harder to read through because there is a lot more back and forth in it.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 04:22:07 PM »
Agreed, I stopped replying to everything now and marking them Confirmed instead.

After doing bug preprocessing on and off for just a few days now I'm even more impressed how Steve could do this and fixing them and play the game and all the other stuff he does.