Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 92038 times)

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2021, 08:48:07 AM »
Total Atmospheric Pressure Incorrect with Frozen Gases

Planet has the following gases:

Nitrogen 0.3581
Oxygen 0.0952
Sulphur Dioxide (F) 0.0133

The total Atmospheric Pressure shown is 0.440.

One way to arrive at that total is to add just the Nitrogen and the Oxygen, and then subtract the Sulphur Dioxide.

The incorrect ATM total leads to an incorrect GH factor and an incorrect temperature.

The atmospheric pressure calculation is incorrect (well spotted). The GH factor and temperature calculation are both working fine as they independently check non-frozen gases only and don't reference the atmospheric pressure calculation.

I don't think the GH/temp calculations are using the correct ATM value.

The Environment tab shows the Greenhouse Factor as 1.044.
This matches the incorrectly calculated atmospheric pressure of 0.440.

The stats for the body are:
Base Temp:  216.357
Albedo:  1.010

Using the incorrect GH value of 1.044 gives us a surface temp of
216.357 * 1.010 * 1.044 = 228.13
which is exactly the temperature displayed.

The correct GH value (1.04533) would give a temp of 228.43.
Obviously it's a tiny error in this case because the amount of frozen gas is so small.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:59:27 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »
I don't think the GH/temp calculations are using the correct ATM value.

The Environment tab shows the Greenhouse Factor as 1.044.
This matches the incorrectly calculated atmospheric pressure of 0.440.

The stats for the body are:
Base Temp:  216.357
Albedo:  1.010

Using the incorrect GH value of 1.044 gives us a surface temp of
216.357 * 1.010 * 1.044 = 228.13
which is exactly the temperature displayed.

The correct GH value (1.04533) would give a temp of 228.43.
Obviously it's a tiny error in this case because the amount of frozen gas is so small.

You are correct. The calculation is greenhouse gas pressure plus 10% of total pressure. The greenhouse gas part is excluding any frozen gases, but the 10% part is affected by the original error.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2021, 12:48:22 PM »
The accuracy estimates during ship design don't update when you change the "Range Bands" or the "Target Speed". They only update to reflect the values you type in when you toggle "Show Bands" on/off (which is a workaround, since Show Bands is for a different functionality). Ideally, the accuracy estimates would update instantly as you key in each digit.

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
A large tanker ship with a "Refueling Hub" cannot "Transfer Fuel to Colony". The order does not appear (see below). If you use SM to add a "Refueling System 80,000 LPH" to the class design, suddenly the "Transfer Fuel to Colony" option appears. I would expect a ship with a 100kton Refueling Hub to be able to offload fuel to a colony just like it can to multiple ships.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 05:05:08 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Demetrious

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2021, 02:15:46 PM »
Being fired upon by STO units only doesn't seem to flag a race as hostile. This isn't a problem for the player, as they can do it manually, but it does make NPR's unable to fight back.

The cheeky boys colonized the moon of my colony in Alpha Centauri. Set the "Cronulla Star Empire" hostile and watch the fireworks fly; the STOs are already set to shoot. Oddly enough when I sent that fleeing lifeboat back to drop my scuttled diplo station's survivors off, the planet's STOs lit THAT up, but were not flagged as hostile and are not responding to my own bombardment.

Save file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e3cr7jlttospgnv/AuroraDB_-_aliens_won%2527t_fire.db/file

Not sure what is going on here. The diplomatic rating is modified during damage resolution and that code is the same whether the damage by caused by an STO or a ship-based energy weapons. There may be some other factor at work.

I did notice that the diplomatic rating was not changing immediately after I opened fire (I checked the alien intelligence screen immediately after on a couple of trial runs.) I'll knock together a test save when the next version drops; it sounds like more of an edge case and that'll be hard to track down without being able to load a save and poke at it.

EDIT: Also, I had NO IDEA that "self-jump only" engines could also act as jump tenders for standard transits. That would have saved me SO MUCH trouble in the past; fighter-sized jump tenders for other fighters as someone else mentioned. I'm happy you're renaming the tech line, that'll resolve a lot of confusion for others.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2021, 03:46:00 PM »
I did notice that the diplomatic rating was not changing immediately after I opened fire (I checked the alien intelligence screen immediately after on a couple of trial runs.) I'll knock together a test save when the next version drops; it sounds like more of an edge case and that'll be hard to track down without being able to load a save and poke at it.

I've previously reported in the Suggestions thread, I think, that NPRs in at least some cases fail to register that you've shot at them and should now be considered hostile until the 5-day (construction) increment ticks over. In my case this led to multiple combat fleets sailing into my own fleets and failing to fire a shot.

Offline Demetrious

• D
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2021, 04:01:04 AM »

I've previously reported in the Suggestions thread, I think, that NPRs in at least some cases fail to register that you've shot at them and should now be considered hostile until the 5-day (construction) increment ticks over. In my case this led to multiple combat fleets sailing into my own fleets and failing to fire a shot.

This fits. I set my construction increment to one day instead of five days and their diplomatic rating changed after a one-day long turn.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2021, 04:59:07 AM »
Being fired upon by STO units only doesn't seem to flag a race as hostile. This isn't a problem for the player, as they can do it manually, but it does make NPR's unable to fight back.

The cheeky boys colonized the moon of my colony in Alpha Centauri. Set the "Cronulla Star Empire" hostile and watch the fireworks fly; the STOs are already set to shoot. Oddly enough when I sent that fleeing lifeboat back to drop my scuttled diplo station's survivors off, the planet's STOs lit THAT up, but were not flagged as hostile and are not responding to my own bombardment.

Save file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e3cr7jlttospgnv/AuroraDB_-_aliens_won%2527t_fire.db/file

Not sure what is going on here. The diplomatic rating is modified during damage resolution and that code is the same whether the damage by caused by an STO or a ship-based energy weapons. There may be some other factor at work.

I did notice that the diplomatic rating was not changing immediately after I opened fire (I checked the alien intelligence screen immediately after on a couple of trial runs.)

The diplomatic rating you can see on the intelligence window is your view of them. You can't see their view of you.

Offline Jeltz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2021, 04:01:25 PM »
From "Disappearing Ground Units" thread, as suggested:

Hmmm... I don't know if it's a related issue or a desired game mechanic: a small troop transport with troops in refit (I forgot to unload them...); when the refit is complete the troops are gone...

v.1.13, no mods.

J.

Offline Cobaia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2021, 04:38:19 PM »
Is it reported that we cannot move Sector Commands via Civilian Contract if you don't have it reserched. One of my ruins returned a sector command and I couldn't select it in the demand combobox  until I researched the tech.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 12:07:21 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
There seem to be some issues with the Use Maximum Speed option.   Sometimes if a fleet does not have Use Maximum Speed checked and a ship in that fleet is destroyed the fleet's speed will be set to 1 km/s.   Other times when a ship is destroyed it's set to the actual maximum speed of the fleet, even if it had been manually set lower.   (EDIT: It turns out this can happen both with and without the Use Maximum Speed box checked, so this might be a more general issue with ship detachment or destruction, rather than with the Use Maximum Speed option as I thought at first. )

A possibly related issue is that I've occasionally had ships that lose their engines fail to automatically detach from their fleets -- although other times they've detached properly, and I've had this happen regardless of the maximum speed setting, so I'm not sure what's going on here. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:47:36 PM by ISN »

Offline Demetrious

• D
« Reply #251 on: May 17, 2021, 05:23:31 PM »

I did notice that the diplomatic rating was not changing immediately after I opened fire (I checked the alien intelligence screen immediately after on a couple of trial runs.)

The diplomatic rating you can see on the intelligence window is your view of them. You can't see their view of you.

I didn't even know those were two different things. Interesting. I should go read those mechanics posts again.

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2021, 06:09:25 PM »
"Acanthopholis" class does not appear in this NPR's ship list, despite there being dozens of them still remaining. (There are none at the bottom of the list scrolled down either, I checked.) I boarded a few of their Acanthopholis class, so perhaps this made it disappear when the captured ships were transferred to me?

Ideally, the ship class should not disappear from the NPR intel ship list if I capture one. However, the presumed ship type/hull and full details should be revealed to me upon capture (so it doesn't show as XX). At the bare minimum, if it remained on the ship list then I could set the ship hull manually myself.

Edit: It turns out this ship design actually is on the alien intel list, but it is now listed under its NPR-assigned class name "XX Southampton". I do not have "Use Real Ship / Class Names" selected, so this behavior was unexpected and caused the disconnect that we see in the game--already discovered ships of this class (seen on the System Map) keep their "Acanthopholis" name, while on the Alien Intel screen they have been renamed to the Real Ship / Class Name. The class should ideally not have been renamed in my intel screen.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:34:34 PM by Ancalagon »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
"Acanthopholis" class does not appear in this NPR's ship list, despite there being dozens of them still remaining. (There are none at the bottom of the list scrolled down either, I checked.) I boarded a few of their Acanthopholis class, so perhaps this made it disappear when the captured ships were transferred to me?

Ideally, the ship class should not disappear from the NPR intel ship list if I capture one. However, the presumed ship type/hull and full details should be revealed to me upon capture (so it doesn't show as XX). At the bare minimum, if it remained on the ship list then I could set the ship hull manually myself

When you capture an NPR ship, the actual class name replaces the name assigned by your imaginary intel agency. Poke around in the ship class design window and you will probably find them listed by their "real" name and class, which should match an entry in the Intel classes list.

While I frankly would prefer the intel class name be retained, including for the captured class design, this is not a bug and belongs in the suggestions thread.

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #254 on: May 17, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »

Ideally, the ship class should not disappear from the NPR intel ship list if I capture one. However, the presumed ship type/hull and full details should be revealed to me upon capture (so it doesn't show as XX). At the bare minimum, if it remained on the ship list then I could set the ship hull manually myself

When you capture an NPR ship, the actual class name replaces the name assigned by your imaginary intel agency. Poke around in the ship class design window and you will probably find them listed by their "real" name and class, which should match an entry in the Intel classes list.

While I frankly would prefer the intel class name be retained, including for the captured class design, this is not a bug and belongs in the suggestions thread.

I do not have "Use Real Ship / Class Names" checked in the Alien Race Intel screen. I have updated the original bug report to reflect this.