Author Topic: System Generation Discussion and Empty Systems  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Jwcswong (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • J
System Generation Discussion and Empty Systems
« on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:04 AM »
I am not sure if this is a bug or not so I put this topic here for discussion.

In the few games I have played, from exploring the first 10 systems, I am continuously getting systems with class M stars that are either completely empty or only containing a few comets and bodies that are inhabitable.  This is different from playing in older patches and VB6 where there are more interesting systems.

There isn't much information I can find about the rules for system generation, is this normal and I am just getting very unlucky with the rolls, or is it a bug? If this is normal, then it is very boring to play if all the systems are empty.

I am playing in patch 1. 13 with known star systems and using the aurora patcher for a different theme color.  Is known star systems causing this problem?

I posted two examples below, the first one has 7 empty systems and other 3 are basically empty.  The second is better with 5 empty systems.  However both have 90% M class stars.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: System Generation Discussion and Empty Systems
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
It's really hard to say, sounds like your just super unlucky.

The following users thanked this post: Jwcswong

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »
Most stars in real life are M class stars, so that shouldn't be particularly surprising. In my current game, 9/67 (13%) of systems are empty, 8/67 (12%) contain only comets, and another 9 are almost empty, with perhaps just a planet or two and some comets. This means that a total of 39% of the systems I've found are more or less useless, and of course many of the systems that do have planets don't have any habitable ones. And if you've only explored ten or so systems it shouldn't be too surprising if by chance you might get more empty systems than average -- ten is a really small sample size :). I think you just need to explore some more and temper your expectations: most systems you find will not be useful.

This might be different if you don't play with Known Stars, but I've always played with Known Stars so I can't speak to what system generation is like without it.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »
I've pretty much never used the Known Stars option, so these observations are somewhat limited.

I have seen both extremes in the C# environment, my current game (1.13) has explored 17 systems, with only one near habitable planet (unfortunately the system is infested) whereas in the last 1.12 game I had four near habitables and one virtually perfect planet on two separate branches within three transits from the homeworld (the third branch was a desert tho).

I think that the RNGenius is alive and well in the Aurora Codeset.

Slàinte,

Mike

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:03 AM »
It’s just random. Here’s a map for a game I had a few version back:

Two exits from Sol; the coreward branch had two systems in it and then ended, the rimward branch had a small precursor force in it and then five empty systems. This game ended not long after this due to a game–breaking bug, but the map wasn’t getting any better.