Author Topic: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread  (Read 10549 times)

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley
The Royal Navy required either a long-range, passively-targeted missile...

How do you design a missile like that?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »
Put active sensors on the missile itself and launch them at waypoint. Once they reach the WP, they will use their onboard sensors to find a target.

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »
Did I read correctly that the AI is combining its fleets now instead of sending them into battle piecemeal?

Yes, I had coded that behaviour for v2.0 but that's the first time I have seen it happen.

That is beyond awesome, thanks!
My last wish is to have AI that will not spam thousands of AMMs in late game that makes anything except armor-CIWS-DeathStart impossible to survive that.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
My last wish is to have AI that will not spam thousands of AMMs in late game that makes anything except armor-CIWS-DeathStart impossible to survive that.

There are other ways to combat AMM spam - but don't use CIWS. It only protects the ship it is on which makes it very ineffective for a fleet.

Armor and shields both become very effective as the tech increases. Beam PD with sufficient mass can handle AMM spam quite well even at relatively low tech levels. Using your own missiles or even AMMs to counter also works well. In the later game you have access to good ECM and cloaking even for fighters. Lots of possibilities even if it is really not the most tactically interesting thing to fight against.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
Realizing that Steve posted a new AAR is like seeing your favorite military sci-fi author has published a new book (well, a short novel)  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Vasious

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »
I saw that building a station rather than a colony near a construct increased that particular research on all worlds by 10 percent.  Is this correct?  And where is the rule?  I've never seen that before.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 08:35:16 PM »
I saw that building a station rather than a colony near a construct increased that particular research on all worlds by 10 percent.  Is this correct?  And where is the rule?  I've never seen that before.

once a planet with an (active) construct has a population of 1mil, 10% of the constructs bonus is applied as an "empire" bonus. So if a planets gravity is too high, or its CC is unrealistic to colonize you can still benefit from the construct somewhat.

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »

The "station" is 6 orbital habitats, each holding 200k pop (so, more than the 1m needed for the bonus). Pop from habs are part of a colony. In this case, it's the entire colony's population.
This is correct, and the only other way I can think of to gain this bonus on a high grav body is to conquer an npr with a higher gravity tolerance.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »
Once again in a Steve AAR, the first Swarm encounter proves deadly and the player empire will be on the back foot for a while now. Hopefully this war goes better than the one in the Crusade AAR... I still remember the nearly unstoppable Tyranid advance from that one quite well!

On July 16th 1899, two months after the Battle of Byzantium, HMS Formidable and HMS Implacable were launched from the Devonport Shipyard. The two Formidable class battleships were fifty percent larger than the preceding Royal Sovereign class and mounted one-third more missile launchers plus a secondary armament of four 8-inch lasers. Armour thickness increased by twenty percent and total armour was sixty-five percent greater. Despite the increase in combat capability, the ships would be extremely vulnerable to the Etna’s microwave weapons or the boarders carried by the Palestros. Refits would be required for the both battleships before they could be risked in action.

I wonder if it will be more economical and effective to build a different class, or refit other classes, and use the new Formidable class in other theaters? For example they should prove quite effective as a bulwark against ze Space Germans.

Three months later, HMS Majestic and HMS Magnificent were launched. The Majestic class battleships were the same size as the Royal Sovereigns, with similar amour, and the first Royal Navy battleships with an entirely energy-based armament. Their Majestics were effectively an upscaled Eclipse class cruiser, mounting a main armament of twelve 8-inch lasers, supported by four twin 5-inch laser turrets.

These should be more effective, but even a 250,000 km range is hardly enough to shoot down 100+ deadly Swarm small craft before they can close in. It seems like the major technological advance needed to win this war will be some combination of faster engines and better short-range missiles to efficiently wipe out the small craft before they can close in.

Two months later, a second Swarm ship of a new type, designated as Lepanto class, appeared in the Achaea system, home to six 500,000 ton orbital habitats and a colony of one point two million on the second planet. Achaea was eight transits from Byzantium, with no known connection between the two system except via both Alexandria and Epsilon Eridani. This unexpected Swarm presence resulted in near-panic at the Admiralty as the new incursion was only two transits from Epsilon Eridani, via Neapolis, and three from both Alexandria and Sol.

Sounds like a dormant JP about to complicate the galaxy map. Those are always...fun...

The survey cruiser HMS Andromache passed through the same jump points, but remained in Neapolis to conduct a resurvey to locate any newly-active jump point. That dangerous endeavour bore fruit far more quickly than expected with the discovery of a previously unknown jump point less than seven hundred million kilometres Achaea jump point.

Yep.

Hopefully this does not mean the sun will set too soon on this British Empire... but with the Swarm advancing from two sides, defense will prove difficult unless the enemy can be delayed long enough to develop the necessary advanced technologies to push them back. Simply building more ships will not be enough to win this war.

Great stuff, Steve, already awaiting the next one!

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
Depending on how quickly and decisively the swarm advances, this could turn really ugly really quickly.

It's been a while since I faced the swarm... personally I don't really like to fight it with missiles. At least in the early game. That's because an anti-swarm early game missile fleet is VERY different from an early game missile fleet used against anything else.

Of course, switching to something else (beam-heavy or fighter-heavy) is still a long-time endeavour and requires a lot of tech investment, and time IS short here... so... 

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
What does Steve mean when he orders a "resurvey" of the jump points? Adding new jump point survey locations with SM?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
What does Steve mean when he orders a "resurvey" of the jump points? Adding new jump point survey locations with SM?

You can 'undo' a grav survey for a system (on the System View window) and resurvey from scratch. This will allow you to find any dormant jump points that have now become active.

EDIT: You can survey individual survey locations manually but the above is required for a resurvey using standing orders.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:23:45 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »

once a planet with an (active) construct has a population of 1mil, 10% of the constructs bonus is applied as an "empire" bonus. So if a planets gravity is too high, or its CC is unrealistic to colonize you can still benefit from the construct somewhat.

I don't remember seeing that before.  So will the 10 percent be added to another world with a like bonus?

For example:. Say I have a world with a 50 percent construction bonus and build a station on another world with a construction bonus, will I end up with 60 percent bonus on the first world?

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »

You can 'undo' a grav survey for a system (on the System View window) and resurvey from scratch. This will allow you to find any dormant jump points that have now become active.

EDIT: You can survey individual survey locations manually but the above is required for a resurvey using standing orders.

You know, I had no idea this was even possible.... :'(

Offline Demonius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2021, 05:28:17 PM »
I honestly cant find that button either atm - I can see the full grav survey in SM mode, and "no geo" but no "no grav" button.