Author Topic: #854 divide by zero  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Raaaak (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
#854 divide by zero
« on: April 22, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
I'm getting multiple errors in function 854 "divide by zero" on each tick in my 1.6.3 game.

I can't find any other reports of this bug, so I'm reporting it despite being an old version.
Save attached

EDIT, game info:
Conventional start,
Random stars,
Bug just started happening, but it's constant now
32 years into the game,
using comma as decimal separator. But switching to point did not fix the problem.
error message in swedish, translates to "Divide by zero error"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:53:15 PM by Raaaak »

Offline Raaaak (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
Re: #854 divide by zero
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 02:09:15 PM »
Deleting all my fleets fixed the problem, I'll try to narrow the problem down more.

Final update:
"Tanker II 002" in the fleet "_Shipyard" is the culprit. Removing it from the fleet fixes the problem, returning it makes the problem come back.

Final Final update: Removing it to the fleet. Transferring fuel to Earth and then rejoining the fleet does NOT reintroduce the error
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:36:03 PM by Raaaak »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
1.6.3 is... obsolete. You should see if you can duplicate it in the current version and if so, post in the Bug thread.

Since Aurora does not have an installer, you can have multiple versions "installed" in different directories.

Offline Raaaak (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 02:38:38 PM »
I know, but it's the version I found the bug in, I haven't seen anyone report it earlier, and I don't know how I would reproduce it in the latest version.

If nothing else this creates a record of the bug not being newly introduced if anyone else stumbles over it later.

Offline Heavy Water

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 04:14:30 AM »
I Have the same problem, it says "Error in ObitalMovement" and "Division by Zero".  But it doesn't do anything, i just klick it away and nothing happens, and it only shows up when I make a turn of 5days or More.  I tried turning of Orbital movement for planets and asteroids, but that didn't work either.  Even when I Deleted my entire Fleet and all TG's it kept showing up.  I am playing on 7. 10. 

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 04:18:32 AM »
I Have the same problem, it says "Error in ObitalMovement" and "Division by Zero".  But it doesn't do anything, i just klick it away and nothing happens, and it only shows up when I make a turn of 5days or More.  I tried turning of Orbital movement for planets and asteroids, but that didn't work either.  Even when I Deleted my entire Fleet and all TG's it kept showing up.  I am playing on 7. 10.

7.10 ist the old VB6 version of Aurora.

Offline Heavy Water

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • H
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 05:44:01 AM »
Quote from: Zap0 link=topic=11013. msg149714#msg149714 date=1615285112
Quote from: Heavy Water link=topic=11013. msg149713#msg149713 date=1615284870
I Have the same problem, it says "Error in ObitalMovement" and "Division by Zero".   But it doesn't do anything, i just klick it away and nothing happens, and it only shows up when I make a turn of 5days or More.   I tried turning of Orbital movement for planets and asteroids, but that didn't work either.   Even when I Deleted my entire Fleet and all TG's it kept showing up.   I am playing on 7.  10. 

7. 10 ist the old VB6 version of Aurora.

I just got into this game a couple of days ago, so I don't know what that means or what the difference is, would you mind just telling me what the difference is and wich one is the newest version.  It would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 06:46:45 AM »
You're using an old version of Aurora. The old version was written in Visual Basic 6, which is why it's called that, whereas the new one is referenced as C# Aurora, reflecting the programming languages both are written in. You can still play the game you have going, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the old version. The C# version has, as it's most important feature, better performance in more complex and longer games. The error message you got may or may not break something, that's just a guessing game that's part of the Aurora experience.

You can download the newest version (of C# Aurora) in this board, take the full download and then apply the patch from the pinned messages.

The following users thanked this post: Heavy Water

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
You're using an old version of Aurora. The old version was written in Visual Basic 6, which is why it's called that, whereas the new one is referenced as C# Aurora, reflecting the programming languages both are written in. You can still play the game you have going, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the old version. The C# version has, as it's most important feature, better performance in more complex and longer games. The error message you got may or may not break something, that's just a guessing game that's part of the Aurora experience.

You can download the newest version (of C# Aurora) in this board, take the full download and then apply the patch from the pinned messages.

Also important to add, if you're playing the VB6 version there is a separate section of the forums to post in - which is important, as if you're posting VB6 version questions and bugs in the C# forums you will get answers for the C# version which will likely not help you.

Also as VB6 is no longer worked on by Steve, submitting bug reports is not likely to get you anywhere. You can still post and see if people have workarounds but nothing will be fixed by Steve.

The following users thanked this post: Heavy Water