Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345424 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« on: May 27, 2020, 07:01:15 PM »
The original by Drgong - http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9805.0

I wanted a version of this thread for the C# Section, so I made one!

- I'll start. :) Do tractor beams work if I place them on Space Stations, then use the Space Station to attach to a ship, then use that ship to tug. In other words, can I use tractor beams on the things I want to tug rather than make dedicated tugs. I usually have at least a couple of fast gunboats / corvettes / frigates lying around, and usually many of them; so I want to have a use for them. Also, that would make Fighter-Sized shunts a reality. So, can it be done?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:42:54 PM by xenoscepter »

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, StarshipCactus

Offline Migi

• Captain
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread - C# Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 07:40:27 PM »
Are financial centres affected by manufacturing efficiency?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »
The original by Drgong - http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=9805.0

I wanted a version of this thread for the C# Section, so I made one!

- I'll start. :) Do tractor beams work if I place them on Space Stations, then use the Space Station to attach to a ship, then use that ship to tug. In other words, can I use tractor beams on the things I want to tug rather than make dedicated tugs. I usually have at least a couple of fast gunboats / corvettes / frigates lying around, and usually many of them; so I want to have a use for them. Also, that would make Fighter-Sized shunts a reality. So, can it be done?
Technically a station can tow a tug but it will be limited to 1km/s.  In C# the towed vessel's engines are powered down.  This allows you to efficiently tow high power ships as well as ships that are out of fuel, both of which were problems in VB.

Financial centres are affected by the Wealth Generation tech.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:04:11 PM by SpikeTheHobbitMage »

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »
No No, I want the tug to be a fast ship that doesn't have a tractor beam. I want to put the tractor on the station, move the ship I want to use as a tug to the station I want to tug, the attach that ship to the station using a tractor beam mounted on the station and tug the station with the ship I just flew over to it for that exact purpose.

Can I do that?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:07:34 PM by xenoscepter »

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
No No, I want the tug to be  a fast ship that doesn't have a tractor beam. I want to put the tractor on the station, move the ship I want to use as a tug to the station I want to tug, the attach that ship to the station using a tractor beam mounted on the station and tug the station with the ship I just flew over to it for that exact purpose.

Can I do that?
No.  Sorry for not being clear.  Only a hull with a tractor beam can act as a tug.  The connected ship is dead-weight.  What you are asking for worked in VB but was considered a bug due to causing the other problems I mentioned above.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:57:50 AM »
Can you sleeve the tractor beam? i.e put it into a fighter itself in a bay?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
Can you sleeve the tractor beam? i.e put it into a fighter itself in a bay?

I think that doesn't work. Your tug would just rip the fighter out of the hangar and tow it instead of your station.

Unless you mean put the tractor on the fighter then tug the tug while docked to the station. Also doesn't work because what happens is that the fighter will start dragging your tug, which will power down its engines because its being tugged.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »

You didn't answer my question. Wealth generation is not what I was asking about.

On a planet with financial centres which also has a worker shortage, do I get 100% of the wealth bonus from them or does it get modified by the manufacturing efficiency factor?

I'm asking due to this situation: if I have a worker shortage and an income shortage, will building more financial centres help or will the increasing penalties from lack of workers make the financial centres provide diminishing returns?

In C# the towed vessel's engines are powered down.  This allows you to efficiently tow high power ships as well as ships that are out of fuel, both of which were problems in VB.
That's huge, was that in the changelog somewhere or did you find out by testing? I assumed that both ships would run their engines.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 11:37:18 PM »
I want to use playoon-sized Marines for boarding but I dont want majors to command them. I could just change the name of their rank, but then I'd have captains commanding battalions. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

PS: Similarly, is there a way to put Marine boarding squads stationed  inside drop ships under the command of a Marine company HQ stationed on the mothership?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 01:40:32 AM »
I want to use playoon-sized Marines for boarding but I dont want majors to command them. I could just change the name of their rank, but then I'd have captains commanding battalions. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

PS: Similarly, is there a way to put Marine boarding squads stationed  inside drop ships under the command of a Marine company HQ stationed on the mothership?

You can add new rank, it will be put at the top, so you need to rename all the ranks.

As for the HQ, you can prepare HQ with several squads under its command on planet and then load them, game will remember that they are subordinates, but there will be no bonus from the HQ.

I believe that there is no bonus from superior HQs at all, but that is most likely bug.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:42:30 AM by Black »

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 03:49:26 AM »

You didn't answer my question. Wealth generation is not what I was asking about.

On a planet with financial centres which also has a worker shortage, do I get 100% of the wealth bonus from them or does it get modified by the manufacturing efficiency factor?

I'm asking due to this situation: if I have a worker shortage and an income shortage, will building more financial centres help or will the increasing penalties from lack of workers make the financial centres provide diminishing returns?

Yes, they are affected by manufactoring efficiency, so you will get diminishing returns.

The following users thanked this post: Migi

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 03:56:48 AM »

In C# the towed vessel's engines are powered down.  This allows you to efficiently tow high power ships as well as ships that are out of fuel, both of which were problems in VB.
That's huge, was that in the changelog somewhere or did you find out by testing? I assumed that both ships would run their engines.
I hadn't understood your question.  Sorry.

I think there was somewhere in the change logs, but I can't find it right now.  There was a bug report about the towed ship still using fuel around version 1.9.5 or so, which has since been fixed.

The following users thanked this post: Migi

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 11:01:46 PM »
I was trying to figure out why civilian mining colonies were spawning so slowly and came across this explanation:

"A suitable location is a system body with at least 10,000 tons of Duranium that has an accessibility of at least 0.7."

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=C-Civilian_Economy#Civilian_Mining_Colonies

Am I reading that correctly? Civilian mines can only be built in places that are a good source of Duranium, nothing else?

I was hoping I could rely on civilians to handle all the little asteroids with minerals while I focused on moon and planets, but it seems I have to micro-manage every little rock without some duranium as well...

EDIT:
Also, how can I see the Total Maintenance Capacity for my colonies?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:06:53 PM by BasileusMaximos »

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 11:15:27 PM »
Also, how can I see the Total Maintenance Capacity for my colonies?
Economics window, Summary tab, middle column, top section between Commercial Shipyard Capacity and Military Academy.  It won't be listed if it is 0.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
Am I reading that correctly? Civilian mines can only be built in places that are a good source of Duranium, nothing else?

I was hoping I could rely on civilians to handle all the little asteroids with minerals while I focused on moon and planets, but it seems I have to micro-manage every little rock without some duranium as well...

Yep.
Though you can use mining ships with Standing Order "Move to Asteroid Mineral Source", than you still have to load and deliver mined TNMs with manual orders, and so it's easier to do it fully manually.