Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 124405 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
In regards to the "minimum player systems for spoilers" ...what conditions makes a system a player system?

It's the total number of systems that a player can see on the galactic map.

The following users thanked this post: Density

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2021, 10:36:32 PM »
Could you change it to "Player Known Systems"? As it is, it implies that you can explore as much as you want and only creating colonies affects the number, in which case I'd put it fairly low. But since it's not that but the number of explored systems, I would put it quite a bit higher.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2021, 11:36:11 PM »
In a multiple player faction game, is this the sum total of (unique?) player-known systems by all races, or the greatest from a single race?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2021, 06:53:35 AM »
Could you change it to "Player Known Systems"? As it is, it implies that you can explore as much as you want and only creating colonies affects the number, in which case I'd put it fairly low. But since it's not that but the number of explored systems, I would put it quite a bit higher.

Done.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, serger, Zap0, Gabrote42

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2021, 06:53:54 AM »
In a multiple player faction game, is this the sum total of (unique?) player-known systems by all races, or the greatest from a single race?

Total for all player races.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, nuclearslurpee

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
When a Swarm is generated, it uses game time as a modifier for tech, so a Swarm generated in year 50 will have the same tech (broadly) regardless of when the Swarm were activated.

Raiders gain tech using the research facilities on their home world. This still happens when they are inactive. However, they gain additional labs over time while active, so late-activated Raiders will have lower tech than Raiders active from the start.

Invaders don't gain tech so time of activation doesn't affect them in this context.

I really appreciate this change, especially after losing a few games to the critters early! :)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2021, 09:43:27 AM »
The new changes to system generation are exciting to say the least. Moving the version to 2.0 is an intimidating prospect, I'll venture to say...

I did have one thought regarding the changing colony costs, which is the interaction with civilian shipping. Presently, civilian ships will tote colonists to any colony set as a destination which has some room. They sometimes overfill a bit but generally they get this about right. However with the new planet eccentricity, say I colonize Mars and place some infrastructure while it is closer to the sun, CC=2.11, and the civilians decide to fill it up with colonists. When mars orbits "away" and the CC rises to 2.5ish, those colonists will suddenly be too much for the life support.

So will civilian logic be changed to work on the body maximum CC in this case? Or maybe it already does and I don't know that because I never put colonists on comets?

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, Foxxonius Augustus, gpt3

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
So will civilian logic be changed to work on the body maximum CC in this case? Or maybe it already does and I don't know that because I never put colonists on comets?

I completely agree, this seems super important. Civilians are alreasy inefficient as they are, they need to be able to accomodate somewhat for these changes.
An easy solution might be: have the civilians always use the worst possible coloy cost due to the orbit in order to calculate if there's space on the colony

Aside from that, I'm very excited about these changes. Really great work Steve  ;D

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2021, 10:40:34 AM »
What would be special about it becoming 2.0 other than nice round number?

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »

I completely agree, this seems super important. Civilians are alreasy inefficient as they are, they need to be able to accomodate somewhat for these changes.
An easy solution might be: have the civilians always use the worst possible coloy cost due to the orbit in order to calculate if there's space on the colony

Aside from that, I'm very excited about these changes. Really great work Steve  ;D

I would be good if we could via the civilian contract menu or somewhere else send a population cap # - i.e. fill until you reach 500m and then don't send anymore - or civilians taking into account the max pop factor when calculating transport (if I want more pop there, then I'll put them there myself).  I really like the eccentricity change but having had a few comet colonies get borked, I don't want the micromanagement piece of worrying about my civilians bringing too much population.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
This is very exciting! It occurs to me that temperature changes due to orbital eccentricity might have interesting interactions with the hydrosphere. For instance, a planet that starts out close to its star with a liquid hydrosphere may have its hydrosphere freeze as it moves away from the star. The increased albedo may mean that the hydrosphere won't necessarily melt again when the planet moves back towards perihelion: it might become stuck in a frozen state. You might also be able to get planets with a runaway greenhouse effect if water condenses back out of the atmosphere more slowly than the planet moves around its orbit. I haven't run the math to see what parameters would be needed for any of this to occur, but if it does it will make living on eccentric planets very interesting!

The following users thanked this post: gpt3

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2021, 11:31:32 AM »
So you can put orbital habitats over the twin planet right?

And can you manually add them in SM mode or at least change the chance of it happening?

And can you have more than one at once or is it just a twin?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »
Eccentric Orbits mechanics - it's splendid! Weeeee!!!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2021, 11:46:07 AM »
Twin planets gets me all excited  8)

But for sure, the eccentric orbits will make for funnier system maps.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #194 on: August 08, 2021, 11:55:43 AM »
So I am not completely sure about one thing, can we edit eccentricity of individual planets in SM mode?