Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 363081 times)

Offline Migi

• Captain
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2640 on: April 18, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »
Just tried creating a geosurvey drone (missile) and separately a "that planet looks likely to be inhabited, I'd like to go poke it with something that doesn't have crew onboard" drone with passive and active sensors. However, when I try to use them, I can't figure out how to aim and fire them at a planet or other body. Best I can seem to do is create a waypoint, but the planet moves (and the waypoint doesn't) before the drone gets to the waypoint. Is there way to send a missile directly to a body, without having visibility of a target of interest (waypoint, ground force, or sensor signature)?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find it via search.
When you create a waypoint that's attached to a body, that body should appear in the waypoint window next to the waypoint name.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2641 on: April 18, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »
Just tried creating a geosurvey drone (missile) and separately a "that planet looks likely to be inhabited, I'd like to go poke it with something that doesn't have crew onboard" drone with passive and active sensors. However, when I try to use them, I can't figure out how to aim and fire them at a planet or other body. Best I can seem to do is create a waypoint, but the planet moves (and the waypoint doesn't) before the drone gets to the waypoint. Is there way to send a missile directly to a body, without having visibility of a target of interest (waypoint, ground force, or sensor signature)?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find it via search.

This was an old bug, the only explaination for this behaviour is that your version of Aurora is not the latest.

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2642 on: April 19, 2022, 09:29:01 AM »
Hello All, I want to start new campaign for few months now but was waiting for new fixes that created problems for my last campaign. Do we have any prediction if new version is more likely weeks or months away?

Thanks.
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2643 on: April 19, 2022, 10:49:51 AM »
Probably a few more months at least. From the Twelve Colonies comment thread:

I've been playing quite a lot lately as the current campaign is very interesting, but still finding a few bugs. However, I have a lot of holidays coming up in the next couple of months. 10-day and 14-day trips in the motorhome and a 9-day boating holiday, plus TT fortnight on the island, all before the end of June, so I think it is unlikely (but not impossible) v2.0 is happening now before July, despite my earlier optimism.

The following users thanked this post: orfeusz, Napier

Offline Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2644 on: April 19, 2022, 11:20:31 PM »
i have played VB6 several times, this is my first time in C#.  a question! where is the button to use my existing ordinance factories to make new missles?

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #2645 on: April 20, 2022, 01:13:08 AM »
i have played VB6 several times, this is my first time in C#.  a question! where is the button to use my existing ordinance factories to make new missles?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, on the Industry tab there's a drop-down list near the top and center-left of the window from which you can select "Ordnance" and build your missiles.

The following users thanked this post: Steve Zax

Offline Steve Zax

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2646 on: April 20, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
Quote from: Ragnarsson link=topic=11545. msg159867#msg159867 date=1650435188
Quote from: Steve Zax link=topic=11545. msg159865#msg159865 date=1650428431
i have played VB6 several times, this is my first time in C#.   a question! where is the button to use my existing ordinance factories to make new missles?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, on the Industry tab there's a drop-down list near the top and center-left of the window from which you can select "Ordnance" and build your missiles.

Thanks!

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2647 on: May 03, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »
I tried googling and didnt get to the bottom of this.

What does "point defence" check box mean for STO weapons?
I can see it reduces firing range and chance to hit drops to zero, increases cost but tracking does not improve.
Does this confer an advantage worth the apparent sacrifice relative to a standard STO?

I was trying to use dug up alien gauss turrets to make STOs.

Code: [Select]
Twin Gauss Cannon R300-100 Turret (1x6)    Range 30,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 30,000 km    ROF 5     
Cost 89.3   Size 773 tons   Crew 22   HTK 4
Base Chance to hit 100%

I can fit these to ships but not STO, is that right? And I recall STO does not provide PPV whereas the alien turret provides 15, quite big but free and twin yet 1x6 which is unusual, not sure what the gauss fire rate is though.

So it looks like the old alien weapons orbiting Earth scenario, what could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:50:19 PM by boolybooly »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2648 on: May 03, 2022, 01:19:14 PM »
What does "point defence" check box mean for STO weapons?
I can see it reduces firing range and chance to hit drops to zero, increases cost but tracking does not improve.
Does this confer an advantage worth the apparent sacrifice relative to a standard STO?

If (and only if) the STO weapon is a turret with a maximum tracking speed greater than racial tracking, the Point Defence check box will create that STO with a single-weapon fire control with 1x range multiplier and 4x tracking speed multiplier. The default behavior is 4x range and 1x speed multiplier. This allows a STO based on, say, a Gauss turret to be effective against missiles.

I was trying to use dug up alien gauss turrets to make STOs.

Twin Gauss Cannon R300-100 Turret (1x6)    Range 30,000km     TS: 16000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 30,000 km    ROF 5     
Cost 89.3   Size 773 tons   Crew 22   HTK 4
Base Chance to hit 100%

I can fit these to ships but not STO, is that right? And I recall STO does not provide PPV whereas the alien turret provides 15, quite big but free and twin yet 1x6 which is unusual, not sure what the gauss fire rate is though.

Correct, you cannot use ship components as input for construction of STOs as every STO is a new-built weapon. You would need to research and design a suitable Gauss turret of your own.

As the turret is twin and fires a total of six shots you can infer that the Gauss ROF tech is 3 (2 * 3 = 6).

The following users thanked this post: boolybooly

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2649 on: May 03, 2022, 01:55:34 PM »

If (and only if) the STO weapon is a turret with a maximum tracking speed greater than racial tracking, the Point Defence check box will create that STO with a single-weapon fire control with 1x range multiplier and 4x tracking speed multiplier. The default behavior is 4x range and 1x speed multiplier. This allows a STO based on, say, a Gauss turret to be effective against missiles.

Ah, I see thankyou, that makes sense. I have yet to build my own turrets this playthrough, last time was a while ago and I needed gauss fire rate x5 and it seems to be taking forever to research, only have precursors for company so far, so am taking my time.

As the turret is twin and fires a total of six shots you can infer that the Gauss ROF tech is 3 (2 * 3 = 6).

Thanks for explaining, I see now, I compared it with a prototype quad laser turret and thought 1x4 meant weapon count  ??? didnt twig it was shots, bit lacklustre then but cost effective PPV.

Offline Phobia

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • P
« Reply #2650 on: May 04, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »
Is the population supposed to reach 1. 2 trillion from default start by the year 2045, specifically on Earth alone?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2651 on: May 04, 2022, 05:17:21 PM »
Is the population supposed to reach 1. 2 trillion from default start by the year 2045, specifically on Earth alone?
No.

Check that your decimal separator is a period, not a comma:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10637.0

If your separator is a comma, you will need to change this at the operating system level (it's a setting in Windows), then reinstall.

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2652 on: May 07, 2022, 01:19:54 PM »
I have unearthed 4x 25cm UV C4 laser, brought them back to Earth to disassemble but do not get any points. Can anyone explain why?
25.00cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (1)    Range 57,600km     TS: 6,250 km/s     Power 16-4     RM 40,000 km    ROF 20 The race I am playing does not have 25cm laser tech as it only has 20cm so far but does have soft X-ray which is more advanced than UV.
I was hoping to get some points for 25 cm laser research despite this. If I scrap them it yields some resources OK.
Is there a condition relating to this tech or disassembly I don't understand, or is it a bug?

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2653 on: May 11, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
How do i give a order to abandon Ship? I've messed up and one of my fleets is stranded. All i can do is try to save the crew, but the ships are done.

Offline Ardis

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2654 on: May 11, 2022, 08:29:45 AM »
How do i give a order to abandon Ship? I've messed up and one of my fleets is stranded. All i can do is try to save the crew, but the ships are done.
Naval Organization window -> Ship Overview -> Miscellaneous tab -> Abandon Ship at the window bottom.

Life pods only have 14 days of life support, though, so stay aboard if you don't have to bail right away.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm