Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 363347 times)

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #945 on: December 28, 2020, 02:29:48 AM »
Is there a way to see the details of the civilian shipping lines in C#?

All I know is, that there is a list of the civilian shipping lines in the fleet organization tab. This contains their names, the ships each line possesses as well as their current wealth. When you open their fleets you can even see their designs and the freight they are currently carrying.

The following users thanked this post: tobijon

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #946 on: December 28, 2020, 03:04:08 AM »
Thanks, I didn't notice that.

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #947 on: December 28, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
Do Jump Points no longer need Jump Gates/Stabilization to be transited without a Jump Drive? In my current game I was exploring some new systems on the frontier of my empire, and discovered two NPRs in two separate systems off a remote third. I'm currently rushing to set up a military outpost on an asteroid  in the gateway systems to the two NPRs, and am pulling in cargo, colony, military, troop transport, and other fleets across the empire to rapidly establish a presence. However, since I never stabilized the jump point from my closest populated system to the frontier for security reasons, I also sent both military and commercial jump tenders to that jump point to serve as ferries into the frontier for the bulk of my non-jump-capable commercial fleet, as well as for future orbital defense bases to be towed.

In setting up all the move orders, I originally meant to have the commercial fleets meet the commercial jump tender at the non-stabilized jump point for ferrying. However, I discovered I erred with the commercial troop transport fleet and moved them one system past. However, rather than hitting the non-stabilized point and stopping for lack of jump capability, they happily "Standard Transited" the non-stabilized Jump Point and continued on their merry way. I thought maybe this had happened because the jump tender was on the point and Steve had added some fancy convenience logic to auto-transit if a jump tender fleet with a big enough jump drive is in the same location, but after moving the jump tender away from the point I was still able to move all my commercial ships, including cargo and colony ship fleets, through the point using "Standard Transit" without any jump drives. Is this normal?

Example ship:

Code: [Select]
FT Graemsay  (Sebo-C class Freighter)      79,969 tons       320 Crew       2,128.8 BP       TCS 1,599    TH 6,250    EM 0
3907 km/s      Armour 1-165       Shields 0-0       HTK 85      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 16    Max Repair 312.5 MSP
Cargo 50,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 10   
Dictator    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months   

Sulzer-Wartsilia Commercial Magnetic Fusion Drive  EP1250.0 (5)    Power 6250    Fuel Use 1.68%    Signature 1250    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 600,000 Litres    Range 80.5 billion km (238 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

The following users thanked this post: DavidFRS

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #948 on: December 28, 2020, 04:01:48 PM »
Do Jump Points no longer need Jump Gates/Stabilization to be transited without a Jump Drive? ... I discovered I erred with the commercial troop transport fleet and moved them one system past. However, rather than hitting the non-stabilized point and stopping for lack of jump capability, they happily "Standard Transited" the non-stabilized Jump Point and continued on their merry way. I thought maybe this had happened because the jump tender was on the point and Steve had added some fancy convenience logic to auto-transit if a jump tender fleet with a big enough jump drive is in the same location, but after moving the jump tender away from the point I was still able to move all my commercial ships, including cargo and colony ship fleets, through the point using "Standard Transit" without any jump drives. Is this normal?

The convenience logic you describe is present (if an appropriately sized jump drive is present, standard transits work).

However, in the absence of any such drive, the point does need to be stabilized. Note that stabilization is a one-way thing; maybe the side you transited through was stabilized even though the other side hadn't been yet?

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #949 on: December 28, 2020, 04:46:13 PM »
The convenience logic you describe is present (if an appropriately sized jump drive is present, standard transits work).

However, in the absence of any such drive, the point does need to be stabilized. Note that stabilization is a one-way thing; maybe the side you transited through was stabilized even though the other side hadn't been yet?

Thank you! Once again, I was an idiot. I had moved the jump tenders away, but a Commercial Jump Tanker with a small squadron size but large tonnage jump engine was still sitting on the gate. Once I moved that away as well the commercial fleets failed to transit as expected.

Really awesome Steve added the automatic logic though! I was prepared to but dreading manually ferrying fleets into the frontier. This streamlines things so much better, and basically is a free jump gate while still requiring enemies to have jump engines.

Offline DavidFRS

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #950 on: December 28, 2020, 07:12:08 PM »
As a noob at Aurora, I have a question to ask: I order to have ships jumping through a gate, is it enough to just have a tender sitting on the gate, it doesn't need to jump with them? (I understand though that if it doesn't jump with them, they have no way back).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #951 on: December 28, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »
Yes, the jump tender does not need to jump.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #952 on: December 28, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »
Do shipyard operation techs also lower the threshold for shipyards to build multiple ship types?

I noticed I initially couldn't build tankers out of my cargo/colony ship yards but now I can. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to build transports out of them as well.

Also, is there a point to adding thermals and EMs to large ships with large Active Sensors that you aren't designed to hide anyways?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:51:29 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline DavidFRS

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #953 on: December 28, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »
If a ship gets scraped will the crew take with them the grades the got while they were on the ship? Will this grade level be maintained until rehired from the crew pool?

I know they can transfer the crew grades when refitting the ship.

Thank you!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #954 on: December 29, 2020, 01:23:19 AM »
Do shipyard operation techs also lower the threshold for shipyards to build multiple ship types?

No. The ability to build multiple ship types depends solely on the refit cost. A shipyard tooled for Class A can build a ship of Class B if and only if the cost to refit a ship of Class A to Class B is less than 20% of the build cost of Class A. Usually the earliest example of this is the ability to build freighters in the same yard that is tooled for colony ships, because these share engines, fuel, etc. but the cryo modules cost so much more than a cargo hold that the refit cost from colony ship to freighter is basically the cost of the cargo hold, much less than the build cost of the colony ship.

As your tech advances, the standard modules like fuel tanks, cargo holds, etc. becomes smaller in proportion to the cost of engines and other high-tech components, so it becomes easier to build more similar ships out of the same yard as a game goes on.

Also, is there a point to adding thermals and EMs to large ships with large Active Sensors that you aren't designed to hide anyways?

Frankly there's no reason not to. A big ship can spare a HS or two for basic passive sensors with no problem usually, and even a big warship doesn't want or need to run its actives all the time, e.g. pinging neutral ships with actives could be construed badly if it is taken to indicate intent to fire. Putting a couple small passives on a ship ensures that it isn't blind in such a situation, and the tonnage requirement is so small that it costs you practically nothing to do it.

The following users thanked this post: Borealis4x, DavidFRS

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #955 on: December 29, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
If a ship gets scraped will the crew take with them the grades the got while they were on the ship? Will this grade level be maintained until rehired from the crew pool?

I know they can transfer the crew grades when refitting the ship.

Thank you!

Sort of. The number of crew that gets added to the crew pool is increased if the scrapped ship has a higher grade than whatever the training level you currently have set would provide.

I believe the formula is the same as it was in VB6:
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Ship_Crew#Effects_of_Repair.2C_Scrapping_and_Refit

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #956 on: December 30, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »
When do Dormant Constructs activate? From what I understood it's a population thing but my 33 m colony still has a dormant one.

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #957 on: December 30, 2020, 06:57:44 AM »
When do Dormant Constructs activate? From what I understood it's a population thing but my 33 m colony still has a dormant one.

You need to survey them first with a Xenoarchaeology team - see this post from Steve: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11306.msg131565#msg131565

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #958 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:23 AM »
Stupid question: But can you put fighters on an spacestation, park it somewhere, and then launch fighters from it? Reason i havent tried it is i dont want to spend forever designing, building, and deploying it, only for it to not work at all.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #959 on: December 30, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
Stupid question: But can you put fighters on an spacestation, park it somewhere, and then launch fighters from it? Reason i havent tried it is i dont want to spend forever designing, building, and deploying it, only for it to not work at all.
Yeah, you can do this.

One limit is that a "space station" (something that can be built by industry) can't have military components so you will only be able to use commercial hangars and commercial magazines.

You can build an engineless ship with military components in a shipyard, though.