Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358184 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #750 on: December 05, 2020, 01:05:15 AM »
So I understand that the tonnage was see in Aurora is actually the volume of hydrogen that the ship displaces. How do you convert this into metric tons?

Personally, I don't buy that explanation and just use tons as a direct mass measurement in my headcanon. But anyways...

The density of hydrogen at STP (0°, 1 atm) is 0.0899 kg/m^3. So one metric ton of hydrogen thus represents a nominal volume of (1000 kg / 0.0899 kg/m^3) = 11,123 m^3. We might as well round this to ~10,000 m^3 per ton to make estimating easier.

This means that a 1,000-ton ship occupies a volume of ~0.1 km^3, that is to say that a "small" FAC could take the shape of a square prism 1 km x 1 km x 100 m. Your definition of "small" may vary from mine, but in my mind at least this is a tad outside the range I would consider "small".

I think it was 1t of liquid hydrogen, which only has a volume of 14m³. A 1000t FAC would thus have a volume of 1411m³, which is a cube 11.2m on a side. Except that most of that volume is pushed into an extra-dimensional space, because of the trans-newtonian elements used in the construction. In normal space the ship might be a rather small object, perhaps no larger than the airlock doors and the engine exhausts.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #751 on: December 05, 2020, 01:25:39 AM »
Just wondering how far down the "Minimum Jump Engine Size" Tech line you can go.  I'm envisioning a fleet of survey fighters, with a fighter/tender to facilitate jumps.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #752 on: December 05, 2020, 01:30:06 AM »
Just wondering how far down the "Minimum Jump Engine Size" Tech line you can go.  I'm envisioning a fleet of survey fighters, with a fighter/tender to facilitate jumps.

The best is minimum size 2, which requires jump efficiency 18. Both cost 250krp.

The following users thanked this post: Silvarelion

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #753 on: December 05, 2020, 01:58:22 AM »
I am in a shooting war and wold like to know two things.

1.  How many spare parts do I need for a weapons failure.  How is this related to the build cost?

2.  I am planning on boarding a few enemy ships.  What kind of infantry arms can I bring? I was thinking of crew served anti personnel, as it fires many shots per combat round.  Are bombardment an alternative or good addition? Grenades are very useful in CQB after all.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #754 on: December 05, 2020, 02:04:24 AM »

1.  How many spare parts do I need for a weapons failure.  How is this related to the build cost?

2.  I am planning on boarding a few enemy ships.  What kind of infantry arms can I bring? I was thinking of crew served anti personnel, as it fires many shots per combat round.  Are bombardment an alternative or good addition? Grenades are very useful in CQB after all.

Hi,

1. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107701#msg107701

2. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg111751#msg111751

I personally use CAP and Infantry only, I am not even sure you can use bombardment units as the support and rear or front formation is disabled in boarding combat. Also, boarding is super fast, therefore no extra supplies are nor required or needed.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #755 on: December 05, 2020, 05:19:54 AM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11545. msg144048#msg144048 date=1607155464
Quote from: kilo link=topic=11545. msg144047#msg144047 date=1607155102

1.   How many spare parts do I need for a weapons failure.   How is this related to the build cost?

2.   I am planning on boarding a few enemy ships.   What kind of infantry arms can I bring? I was thinking of crew served anti personnel, as it fires many shots per combat round.   Are bombardment an alternative or good addition? Grenades are very useful in CQB after all.

Hi,

1.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg107701#msg107701

2.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg111751#msg111751

I personally use CAP and Infantry only, I am not even sure you can use bombardment units as the support and rear or front formation is disabled in boarding combat.  Also, boarding is super fast, therefore no extra supplies are nor required or needed.

I know that the chance for a misfire is 1%.  This is a valuable piece of information I already had.  What I liked to know it the expected spare part consumption in battle.  This would allow me to build a ship with an intended deployment time of say 1 year + spares for 50 shots of the ships battery.  In order to do that I would need to calculate this:

required spares = repair cost * accident rate

The later had been published by the dev.  The former on the other hand has not or I simply missed it. 

PS: Thanks for the hint with the boarding troops weapons.  I was just thinking about bringing some for realism reasons.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #756 on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:53 AM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11545. msg144048#msg144048 date=1607155464
Quote from: kilo link=topic=11545. msg144047#msg144047 date=1607155102

1.   How many spare parts do I need for a weapons failure.   How is this related to the build cost?

2.   I am planning on boarding a few enemy ships.   What kind of infantry arms can I bring? I was thinking of crew served anti personnel, as it fires many shots per combat round.   Are bombardment an alternative or good addition? Grenades are very useful in CQB after all.

Hi,

1.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg107701#msg107701

2.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg111751#msg111751

I personally use CAP and Infantry only, I am not even sure you can use bombardment units as the support and rear or front formation is disabled in boarding combat.  Also, boarding is super fast, therefore no extra supplies are nor required or needed.

I know that the chance for a misfire is 1%.  This is a valuable piece of information I already had.  What I liked to know it the expected spare part consumption in battle.  This would allow me to build a ship with an intended deployment time of say 1 year + spares for 50 shots of the ships battery.  In order to do that I would need to calculate this:

required spares = repair cost * accident rate

The later had been published by the dev.  The former on the other hand has not or I simply missed it. 

PS: Thanks for the hint with the boarding troops weapons.  I was just thinking about bringing some for realism reasons.

- It's the weapon cost. So a 34 BP weapon will cost 34 MSP to repair from a weapon failure, so for 10 failures you would need 340 MSP.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #757 on: December 05, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
That minimum size is just the size of the smallest jump drive that can squadron jump with multiple ships.

Even if you are below that, I'm fairly certain you can still do a standard transit with multiple ships.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #758 on: December 05, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
1 - Is it possible to replace a scientist by another in an ongoing project?

2 - If I get it right a prototype component is like an 'instantly researched space-master' component, only usable in prototype ships that can't be produced. That's the extent of the feature? I know it may be obvious, sorry  ;D

3 - Are ships eating MSP for maintenance? I have some cases where I believe they are not ...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:24:15 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #759 on: December 05, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
Is it possible to replace a scientist by another in an ongoing project?

Yes. Just cancel the project and restart with the second scientist. The points will be carried forward.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #760 on: December 05, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
2 - If I get it right a prototype component is like an 'instantly researched space-master' component, only usable in prototype ships that can't be produced. That's the extent of the feature? I know it may be obvious, sorry  ;D

Yes, you can use prototypes and future prototypes in ship classes, but your shipyards can't retool for classes with prototype components. Once you're satisfied with the class design, select the prototype components and click the Research Proto button to add that component as a research project. Once the research is completed, the prototypes become real components and the class becomes available to your shipyards.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #761 on: December 05, 2020, 12:08:50 PM »
Is it possible to replace a scientist by another in an ongoing project?

Yes. Just cancel the project and restart with the second scientist. The points will be carried forward.

I meant just by clicking on another scientist and click the missing 'replace scientist' button  ;D
That's because when you cancel a project, it is written in the history of the scientist also.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #762 on: December 05, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »
Yes, you can use prototypes and future prototypes in ship classes, but your shipyards can't retool for classes with prototype components. Once you're satisfied with the class design, select the prototype components and click the Research Proto button to add that component as a research project. Once the research is completed, the prototypes become real components and the class becomes available to your shipyards.

Note that while prototypes work fine, "Future Prototypes" using not-yet-researched techs are glitched and will never be possible to research. You can still use them to design a ship, but once you have the techs you will need to re-design the component as a regular component or prototype and replace it in the ship class design.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:06:30 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #763 on: December 05, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Note that while prototypes work fine, "Future Prototypes" using not-yet-researched techs are glitched and will never be possible to research. You can still use them to design a ship, but once you have the techs you will need to re-design the component as a regular component or prototype and replace it in the ship class design.

That's not a glitch; if anything it's working as Steve designed it. I don't think that the design was completely thought through, because the way future prototypes work is rather annoying. However, they do work exactly as originally described.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline shock

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #764 on: December 05, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
Is there a way to have new ship class names selected in a random order instead of alphabetical?