Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358208 times)

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #975 on: December 30, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »
3)   System Bodies with gravity of less than 0.1G cannot retain atmosphere and therefore cannot be terraformed

Hm, yeah, it says that, but I also have a 0.063 gravity asteroid colonized and terraformed in my game right now, and I believe Steve had terraformed an asteroid to serve as a forward fleet base in his WH40k game. I haven't looked at the atmosphere levels over the long term yet, I guess.

You can even terraform tiny specks of duts like Phobos or Deimos, but even a single terraforming module produces multiple atmospheres of pressure in one production cycle.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #976 on: December 31, 2020, 01:49:53 AM »
Is there any point, however minor, in researching Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity if you are using Gauss exclusively for point defense?

Seems like since Final Fire PD takes place at point-blank range there's no need for any more than the minimum range but I'm wondering if there's some kind of accuracy tradeoff involved (separate from the effect of BFC range of course).

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #977 on: December 31, 2020, 04:10:53 AM »
You are correct there is no need, that is one reason why gauss is a fairly economical tech line to research for point defense (assuming you are accepting towards a PD weapon that is only really useful for shooting down missiles and nothing else).

It also doesn't require capacitor charge rate or BFC range research (just speed rating i think) so its in general its a nice option if you don't really intend on making any other use of beam weapons.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #978 on: December 31, 2020, 04:27:35 AM »
I haven't done too much PD fire in C# yet and the logs aren't as verbose as they used to be: Is PD final defensive fire calculated at 10k km or at 0? If at 0, the fire control's range modifier should always be 100%, if it's at 10k some early tech or miniaturized fire controls could trade a significant portion of their hitchance away.

Something else I've been not entirely sure about regarding PD: Do multiple gauss turrets require multiple fire controls to engage multiple salvos? One fire control can engage as many salvos as it wants with it's weapons, right? It's just the turret itself that suffers from wasted shots?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #979 on: December 31, 2020, 06:49:44 AM »
3)   System Bodies with gravity of less than 0.1G cannot retain atmosphere and therefore cannot be terraformed
I believe Steve had terraformed an asteroid to serve as a forward fleet base in his WH40k game.

Yes, it is always nice to see the developer exploit his own bugs

;D

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #980 on: December 31, 2020, 07:54:47 AM »
I haven't done too much PD fire in C# yet and the logs aren't as verbose as they used to be: Is PD final defensive fire calculated at 10k km or at 0? If at 0, the fire control's range modifier should always be 100%, if it's at 10k some early tech or miniaturized fire controls could trade a significant portion of their hitchance away.

Something else I've been not entirely sure about regarding PD: Do multiple gauss turrets require multiple fire controls to engage multiple salvos? One fire control can engage as many salvos as it wants with it's weapons, right? It's just the turret itself that suffers from wasted shots?

I had some anti missile beam action with railguns today and I observed the following:
1. final fire happens at 10k km.
2. A beam FC can shoot at multiple salvos
3. A weapon fires all it's shots into the same salvo for some minor overkill
4. And not asked: HPM shoots down missiles
5. Still not asked: Missile tracking bonus works and can be quite valuable
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:57:10 AM by kilo »

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Zap0, StarshipCactus, nuclearslurpee

Offline Twilight Sentinel

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #981 on: January 01, 2021, 03:27:05 PM »
Is it possible to get fuel off of a colony without a refueling station?  I found a lot from abandoned installations.

Is there any way to pickup non-specific ground units?  Say for cycling orders or to pickup several ground survey units in one order.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #982 on: January 01, 2021, 03:53:40 PM »
Is it possible to get fuel off of a colony without a refueling station?  I found a lot from abandoned installations.

Is there any way to pickup non-specific ground units?  Say for cycling orders or to pickup several ground survey units in one order.

A tanker with its own refueling system might be able to take fuel from such a colony.

The best way to achieve this is to create a general ground survey hierarchy that has construction/xeno/geo and place the components under a superior formation. You can use the "load SUB" checkbox and just click on the superior formation and the transports should load all formations at once.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #983 on: January 01, 2021, 03:59:32 PM »
Is there a way for me to 'save' a save so that it doesn't get overwritten?

I require a lot of setup re-naming ranks, importing medals, and changing name-lists before ending my first turn, and would rather just load up a save with all the done instead of starting from scratch whenever I want to start a new game.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #984 on: January 01, 2021, 04:10:41 PM »
Is there a way for me to 'save' a save so that it doesn't get overwritten?

I require a lot of setup re-naming ranks, importing medals, and changing name-lists before ending my first turn, and would rather just load up a save with all the done instead of starting from scratch whenever I want to start a new game.
Make a copy of the database with the setup and use a copy for each game you play.

Effectively treats each database as a separate save file.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover, Borealis4x

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #985 on: January 01, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg145616#msg145616 date=1609538020
Quote from: Twilight Sentinel link=topic=11545. msg145610#msg145610 date=1609536425

A tanker with its own refueling system might be able to take fuel from such a colony.
I tried this already and it didn't work, the option to refuel isn't on the orders list.    I can't unload fuel either to create a fuel drop site.   So I came by to ask the question.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #986 on: January 01, 2021, 04:36:54 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg145616#msg145616 date=1609538020
Quote from: Twilight Sentinel link=topic=11545. msg145610#msg145610 date=1609536425

I tried this already and it didn't work, the option to refuel isn't on the orders list.    I can't unload fuel either to create a fuel drop site.   So I came by to ask the question.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg98036#msg98036

Main topics below, but you are free to read the whole post above if you wish.

The existing 'Refuel from Colony' will remain but can only be used at colonies that have either a Spaceport or a Refuelling Station.

The 'Unload 90% Fuel to Colony' order now becomes 'Transfer Fuel to Colony'. Any class designated as a tanker can transfer fuel to any colony with either a spaceport or a refuelling station.

It will no longer be possible to dump fuel on the nearest available rock. Colonies will require a spaceport or a refuelling station before they can support fleets.

The following users thanked this post: Twilight Sentinel

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #987 on: January 01, 2021, 10:03:54 PM »
When reading the tech description for Underway replenishment rate "The speed at which a ship can be refuelled while moving", I am wondering which of the following?
Is it the max speed of the fleet that allows refueling? (as a percentage of unburdened max speed of the fleet), or
Is it the rate of refueling (as a percentage of maximum refueling rate) while travelling under max speed?

Or something else entirely?

Also, how can I select multiple ships in Naval Organization (fleet) view, if possible?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #988 on: January 01, 2021, 10:15:26 PM »
When reading the tech description for Underway replenishment rate "The speed at which a ship can be refuelled while moving", I am wondering which of the following?
Is it the max speed of the fleet that allows refueling? (as a percentage of unburdened max speed of the fleet), or
Is it the rate of refueling (as a percentage of maximum refueling rate) while travelling under max speed?

Or something else entirely?

A Refuelling System is 500 tons and has a cost ranging from 10 BP to 100 BP, depending on the tech level. A ship with a Refuelling System can refuel a single ship at once, so will take some time to refuel a whole fleet, although this will improve with higher technology. At the early tech levels, the Refuelling System can only be used if both ships (tanker and target ship) are both stationary. Another new tech line, Underway Replenishment, allow the refuelling to take place while both ships are in the same fleet and underway. Priorities can be set for the refuelling order when multiple ships are involved. The first Underway Replenishment tech allows refuelling at 20% of the normal rate (2500 RP), rising to 100% with the highest tech (40,000 RP).

Full rules here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg97525#msg97525

Also, how can I select multiple ships in Naval Organization (fleet) view, if possible?

No that I know of, but there are ways to select Multiple Ships on other screens, the utility of which will depend of what is that you are trying to achieve.

The following users thanked this post: pwhk

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #989 on: January 01, 2021, 10:20:29 PM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11545. msg145625#msg145625 date=1609540614
Quote from: Twilight Sentinel link=topic=11545. msg145623#msg145623 date=1609539739
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545.  msg145616#msg145616 date=1609538020
Quote from: Twilight Sentinel link=topic=11545.  msg145610#msg145610 date=1609536425

I tried this already and it didn't work, the option to refuel isn't on the orders list.     I can't unload fuel either to create a fuel drop site.    So I came by to ask the question.

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg98036#msg98036

Main topics below, but you are free to read the whole post above if you wish.

The existing 'Refuel from Colony' will remain but can only be used at colonies that have either a Spaceport or a Refuelling Station.

The 'Unload 90% Fuel to Colony' order now becomes 'Transfer Fuel to Colony'.  Any class designated as a tanker can transfer fuel to any colony with either a spaceport or a refuelling station.

It will no longer be possible to dump fuel on the nearest available rock.  Colonies will require a spaceport or a refuelling station before they can support fleets.

Thank you for your answer.   I ended up finding a solution to my problem further up the page you linked.   I did not know that refueling stations do not require population to run, so I can use that to get the fuel off these ruins.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982