Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358163 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1320 on: February 03, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
Does a diplomatic ship need to be civilian? I thought I was clever by combining ELINT with diplomatic module, vessels size was small just 4000 tons. Every time I try to go be diplomatic:(Pop into system, turn on friendly transponder, keep a respectful distance.) they ask me to leave with threat.

They aren't going to be happy about ships in their home system, period. Diplomatic or not, commercial or not, if they spot it they will complain (unless you are allied).

I park my spy ships 200 million km from the homeworld and stooge along at 100 km/s or less. That way I don't get spotted.

Mechanically, the minimum tonnage for any ship, even a diplo ship, is 1000 tons for the purpose of an NPR determining how annoyed they are. However as this is quite small in relative terms, a diplo ship can still in theory be a net positive in relations even while the NPR is suggesting you leave. If the suggestions are only suggestions or polite requests, it may be safe to remain in-system as long as the type of message does not escalate. Of course, some NPRs just refuse to be friendly and you should be aware of this possibility.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1321 on: February 03, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Before I suggest changing it, is there a reason why civilian mining colonies only spawn on bodies with Duranium or Sorium? Why not let them spawn on any planet with a collective mineral wealth of 15,000 tons? I don't see why civilians would only be interested in deposits with some of the most common substances in the galaxy.

Also, why aren't my civilian ships being assigned officers despite having auto assign on and having enough officers of the appropriate rank? Is it cuz they don't have the right skills?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:53:37 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1322 on: February 03, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »
I don't have a link at hand, I used to think the same thing but Steve at one point corrected me that doubling the HQs did give some direct benefit for commander survivability

Yes, he does. But out of his formulas - he is mistaken. Conditional probabilities are counterintuitive things...

Mathematically it should be a very small difference... such as in a simple example...

A formation with 1000t have an HQ at 10t and there is a 1% chance the commander is killed.

If you add another 10t HQ the formation is 1010t and there is a 1.98% risk it is hit and a 50% chance the commander is killed thus a total of less then 1% he is killed in total.

It's very small difference when these chances are small as they are.
But if you throw your squad in firestorm and smth like 3/4 of your soldiers are dead - therefore smth like 1/2 of your frontline HQ units will be destroyed too, and 1/4 of your field officers are killed in action therefore. So it can be rather important to increase commanders' survivability. But with current mechanics it's impossible - higher HQ bonuses are bugged (so it's quite useless to take your officers to rear HQs - they will be able to deliver their bonuses to arty only) and doubling HQ cannot work as it was intended because of probability math.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1323 on: February 03, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »
Before I suggest changing it, is there a reason why civilian mining colonies only spawn on bodies with Duranium or Sorium? Why not let them spawn on any planet with a collective mineral wealth of 15,000 tons? I don't see why civilians would only be interested in deposits with some of the most common substances in the galaxy.

It's actually duranium and gallicite, originally it was duranium only as it is the most-used mineral in the game thus considered by Steve to be the highest priority to mine. One big benefit of CMCs is that they give you mines that you don't have to build, so it's valuable to have those "free" mines (which you actually do pay for but only with wealth, not BPs) on the most-used resource in the game to help the player generate a good inflow early on while we are still building up our planetside industry especially because moving mines off of Earth isn't economically viable in most games until some time has passed just because Earth's minerals are usually so much better than anything except 1-2 comets or asteroids usually.

Gallicite was added as an optional requirement instead of duranium based on playtesting during Steve's Crusade campaign as the need to produce MSPs with gallicite makes that mineral even more critical than it was in VB6 when engines already demanded a lot of the stuff.

I think this way works well for being a very simple implementation, as duranium and gallicite are nearly always critical resources so this really helps build a strong economy early in the game or in new major systems later in the game. The only others I would even think of as being close to the same broad importance are corundium and neutronium, both of which are not as heavily used but a crunch of those minerals can be very crippling.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1324 on: February 03, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »

It's actually duranium and gallicite, originally it was duranium only as it is the most-used mineral in the game thus considered by Steve to be the highest priority to mine. One big benefit of CMCs is that they give you mines that you don't have to build, so it's valuable to have those "free" mines (which you actually do pay for but only with wealth, not BPs) on the most-used resource in the game to help the player generate a good inflow early on while we are still building up our planetside industry especially because moving mines off of Earth isn't economically viable in most games until some time has passed just because Earth's minerals are usually so much better than anything except 1-2 comets or asteroids usually.

Gallicite was added as an optional requirement instead of duranium based on playtesting during Steve's Crusade campaign as the need to produce MSPs with gallicite makes that mineral even more critical than it was in VB6 when engines already demanded a lot of the stuff.

I think this way works well for being a very simple implementation, as duranium and gallicite are nearly always critical resources so this really helps build a strong economy early in the game or in new major systems later in the game. The only others I would even think of as being close to the same broad importance are corundium and neutronium, both of which are not as heavily used but a crunch of those minerals can be very crippling.

Its fine that those minerals are prioritized, but why make it impossible for Civilian Mines to pop up anywhere else?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1325 on: February 03, 2021, 01:27:56 PM »

Its fine that those minerals are prioritized, but why make it impossible for Civilian Mines to pop up anywhere else?

Main reason, aside from being easier for Steve, is that Steve has said many times in the past that he does not want players to have much control over CMCs - if you need something done the idea is that you do it yourself, and CMCs are an interactive feature rather than another button you press to generate +500 neutronium per year or something. The current implementation is predictable and supports any player's economy effectively as everyone needs duranium and gallicite, but ensures that CMCs are not going to do all the work for the player thus you still need your manual, auto, and orbital miners to have a balanced economy.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1326 on: February 03, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
Having just run out of Uridium for MSP production I'd want that added to the list, but otherwise it is fine imo.

Offline pwhk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #1327 on: February 04, 2021, 06:32:41 AM »
I am wondering how players bombard a planet other than keep clicking the 5 days button? There are interrupts every 5 seconds listing Combat Summary and Contact...
Click the 5 second button and put something heavy on the Enter key?  :-X
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:39:20 AM by pwhk »

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1328 on: February 04, 2021, 07:58:28 AM »
Since the new auto-assign options for planetary governors (yeah, finally), this has left me with a dilemma. I have one free sector governor seat empty and manually added a governor to it. However he has a pretty high value in mining - which I had set some of my mining planets to auto assign for. And he gets auto assigned to those mines immediately if one of these positions gets free.

Is there a way to block the auto routine to move that governor? Or even better - is there a way to auto assign for that sector position as well? I don't see the latter (I guess it is not in the game, right?)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1329 on: February 04, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
Since the new auto-assign options for planetary governors (yeah, finally), this has left me with a dilemma. I have one free sector governor seat empty and manually added a governor to it. However he has a pretty high value in mining - which I had set some of my mining planets to auto assign for. And he gets auto assigned to those mines immediately if one of these positions gets free.

Is there a way to block the auto routine to move that governor? Or even better - is there a way to auto assign for that sector position as well? I don't see the latter (I guess it is not in the game, right?)

In next version, sector governors and academy administrators will not be automatically reassigned. But in current version, there is nothing you can do about it.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #1330 on: February 04, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »

In next version, sector governors and academy administrators will not be automatically reassigned. But in current version, there is nothing you can do about it.

My workaround is to not pick the best 2-3 candidates and assume they will be sniped away soon.  I take a little less in sector bonuses, but have to check that far less often. 

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1331 on: February 05, 2021, 12:44:53 AM »
My workaround is to not pick the best 2-3 candidates and assume they will be sniped away soon.  I take a little less in sector bonuses, but have to check that far less often.
Yeah, came to the same conclusion :-)

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #1332 on: February 05, 2021, 06:08:19 AM »
I've got into battle with aliens and it turns out my Laser Destroyers are better at PD than my PD Cruiser. Why is that? Can anyone explain that to me? MY PD Cruiser has a chance to hit of 7-8% while my Laser Cruiser has a chance to hit of 119%. The enemy missiles move at 32.650 km/s.

PD Cruiser:

Point Defence Cruiser Mk. II-I class Area Defence Cruiser      6 199 tons       159 Crew       1 397.8 BP       TCS 124    TH 1 500    EM 0
12100 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 4-30       Shields 0-0       HTK 39      Sensors 14/0/0/0      DCR 43      PPV 12.55
Maint Life 5.22 Years     MSP 1 222    AFR 102%    IFR 1.4%    1YR 75    5YR 1 122    Max Repair 150 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Military Jump Engine Mk. II (PD) J6300(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 6300 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Military Engine Mk. II Internal Fusion Drive  EP300.00 (5)    Power 1500    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 300    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1 150 000 Litres    Range 40.4 billion km (38 days at full power)

Point Defence Turret Mk. II Quad Gauss Cannon Mk. II Gauss Cannon R600-8.00 Turret (5x24)    Range 60 000km     TS: 40000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 60 000 km    ROF 5       
Point Defence BFC Mk. II-I Beam Fire Control R60-TS40000 (1)     Max Range: 60 000 km   TS: 40 000 km/s     83 67 50 33 17 0 0 0 0 0

Point Defence Sensor Mk. I Active Search Sensor AS2-R1 (1)     GPS 4     Range 2.4m km    MCR 215.4k km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor Mk. I Thermal Sensor TH1.0-14.0 (1)     Sensitivity 14     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  29.6m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Laser Destroyer:

Laser Cruiser Mk. II-I class Assault Ship      9 346 tons       310 Crew       2 969.1 BP       TCS 187    TH 1 500    EM 0
8025 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 4-39       Shields 0-0       HTK 63      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 36      PPV 51.52
Maint Life 5.46 Years     MSP 2 791    AFR 116%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 157    5YR 2 357    Max Repair 960 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Military Jump Engine Mk. II (Laser) J10200(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Military Engine Mk. II Internal Fusion Drive  EP300.00 (5)    Power 1500    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 300    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 000 Litres    Range 23.3 billion km (33 days at full power)

Laser Turret Mk. II Twin Laser Mk. I-I 15.0cm C4 X-Ray Laser Turret (4x2)    Range 420 000km     TS: 40000 km/s     Power 12-8     RM 70 000 km    ROF 10       
Laser BFC Mk. II Beam Fire Control R480-TS40000 (1)     Max Range: 480 000 km   TS: 40 000 km/s     98 96 94 92 90 88 85 83 81 79
Power Plant Mk. I Stellarator Fusion Reactor R12 (4)     Total Power Output 49.6    Exp 5%

Laser Sensor Mk. II Active Search Sensor AS12-R100 (1)     GPS 480     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1333 on: February 05, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »
I think you use compact gauss cannons with lowered hit chance in your turrets - that's why their individual hit chances are lower.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1334 on: February 05, 2021, 09:21:12 AM »
I've got into battle with aliens and it turns out my Laser Destroyers are better at PD than my PD Cruiser. Why is that? Can anyone explain that to me? MY PD Cruiser has a chance to hit of 7-8% while my Laser Cruiser has a chance to hit of 119%. The enemy missiles move at 32.650 km/s.

The chance to hit is per shot, the gauss ship gets 120 shots, the laser ship only gets 8.  The laser ship will get 8 kills per round, while the gauss ship will average 8.4-9.6 per round.  Additionally you can build 2 gauss ships for about the cost of your laser ship.  So for straight point defense  the gauss is a better option.  the laser gives you addditional range and can be used against ships and fighters.  I would build a few of each. 

I would also look at the speed of my fleet, the gauss ships do not need to be faster than the fleet they are protecting.  If your fleet speed is 8000km/s, maybe cut an engine or two.  The laser ship definitely needs to be faster than the enemy fleet, and usually faster than the rest of your fleet so that it can control the range.  I assume the jump drive on every ship is a role playing choice.