Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358139 times)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1365 on: February 07, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
This time I have checked the wiki and my search-fu has failed. In VB6 you could use SM mode to move fleets around systems to various locations - is that possible in C#?
Also, can you use SM mode to refuel ships (as you could in VB6).

I'm asking for a friend and not because I've failed to design my survey ships with sufficient fuel stores and watched them run out of fuel before getting back to Earth - honest  :o

You can move fleets in SM to bodies with colony. It is in Naval Organization tab - Fleet - Miscellaneous - Move Fleet button.

To SM refuel - Naval Organization - Ship Overview - Miscellaneous - SM Refuel button.

Thanks, I found the buttons about the same time you posted  ;D Feeling pretty noob-like at the moment; effectively having to 'unlearn what I have learned'

Welchbloke

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #1366 on: February 08, 2021, 09:42:35 AM »
Hiya! I'm trying to train my task force. So far it is working: my ships are accruing training grade. I got my fighters properly docked as well, and they're doing great. To deal with the fuel issue, I set the fleet to refuel and resupply at earth, then move to earth on a cycle: they're basically sticking around on Earth as they train. However, with the rate that they're accruing maintenance- and crew deployment time, I'm afraid they'll suffer from disastrous failures and/or terrible consequences due to low morale.

For that purpose, I wonder how other people do it, and whether...
(1) ... I can safely overhaul the ships during the training without messing up their training gains.
(2) ... it's safe to ignore the increase in maintenance time so long as I keep them supplied (and whether it will swiftly drain my supplies).
(3) ... morale affects fleet training gain. If it doesn't, I should be capable of ignoring morale entirely while training, right?

Thanks in advance!

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1367 on: February 08, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
Once you add an "Orbital Habitat Module" to a ship "Engineering Spaces" stop adding maintenance supplies, i.e. the ship has no MSP at all. Is that intended or a bug?

Also: How can I transfer MSP? I thought if you have shuttles on board, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #1368 on: February 08, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
Also: How can I transfer MSP? I thought if you have shuttles on board, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

You need to designate the design as a supply ship. You can tick a box at the top right. Once you do, you can further set the ship to constantly share supplies with the fleet they're in (ship overview for the particular ship on the F4-screen), or you can order it to resupply other ships and/or colonies.

Once you add an "Orbital Habitat Module" to a ship "Engineering Spaces" stop adding maintenance supplies, i.e. the ship has no MSP at all. Is that intended or a bug?

I'm not 100% sure about this one, so I wouldn't mind if someone with more experience steps in here and corrects me. Anyways- an orbital habitat has little to no need for engineering spaces. Being a station, it does not suffer failures to counteract. Furthermore, maintenance storage modules are more efficient at providing space for maintenance supplies. If you want the damage control power that engineering spaces give, you're probably better off using commercial damage control parts.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #1369 on: February 08, 2021, 12:56:55 PM »
I tried to attack an hostile enemy fleet with my fleet. My fleet contains of missile destroyers, PD ships and Laser Destroyer. I first kept a distance of 300k km to the fleet to engage it with the missile destroyers and laser destroyers. But I get only a 8% chance to hit the enemy fleet with my laser destroyers. The enemy is not  moving but has a max speed of around 10k. Below you can see my laser destroyer. Do I have a flaw in my design?

Laser Destroyer:

Laser Cruiser Mk. II-I class Assault Ship      9 346 tons       310 Crew       2 969.1 BP       TCS 187    TH 1 500    EM 0
8025 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 4-39       Shields 0-0       HTK 63      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 36      PPV 51.52
Maint Life 5.46 Years     MSP 2 791    AFR 116%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 157    5YR 2 357    Max Repair 960 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Military Jump Engine Mk. II (Laser) J10200(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Military Engine Mk. II Internal Fusion Drive  EP300.00 (5)    Power 1500    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 300    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 000 Litres    Range 23.3 billion km (33 days at full power)

Laser Turret Mk. II Twin Laser Mk. I-I 15.0cm C4 X-Ray Laser Turret (4x2)    Range 420 000km     TS: 40000 km/s     Power 12-8     RM 70 000 km    ROF 10       
Laser BFC Mk. II Beam Fire Control R480-TS40000 (1)     Max Range: 480 000 km   TS: 40 000 km/s     98 96 94 92 90 88 85 83 81 79
Power Plant Mk. I Stellarator Fusion Reactor R12 (4)     Total Power Output 49.6    Exp 5%

Laser Sensor Mk. II Active Search Sensor AS12-R100 (1)     GPS 480     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Caesar

• C
« Reply #1370 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »
I tried to attack an hostile enemy fleet with my fleet. My fleet contains of missile destroyers, PD ships and Laser Destroyer. I first kept a distance of 300k km to the fleet to engage it with the missile destroyers and laser destroyers. But I get only a 8% chance to hit the enemy fleet with my laser destroyers. The enemy is not  moving but has a max speed of around 10k. Below you can see my laser destroyer. Do I have a flaw in my design?

Laser BFC Mk. II Beam Fire Control R480-TS40000 (1)     Max Range: 480 000 km   TS: 40 000 km/s     98 96 94 92 90 88 85 83 81 79

Your tracking speed on the turrets and beam fire control are more than sufficient: you have a 40 000 km/s tracking speed versus a 10k target. However, it's the range that matters here: range works as follows: you have a 100% hit chance at 0 range, and a 0% hit chance at 100% range. In other words, your max range of 480 000 km equates to a 0% hit chance. At 300k km, you are at 62,5% of your max range (300 000/480 000 * 100 = 62.5%), which gives you a base range to-hit factor of 37,5% (100-62.5 = 37.5). There are still some other factors in there. To get that down to 8%, you'll likely have to account for ECM (which decreases your to-hit by 10%/level), since you don't have ECCM and crew grade.

I don't know of any other factors that might matter here.

The following users thanked this post: Kamilo

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1371 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »

Laser Destroyer:

Laser Cruiser Mk. II-I class Assault Ship      9 346 tons       310 Crew       2 969.1 BP       TCS 187    TH 1 500    EM 0
8025 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 4-39       Shields 0-0       HTK 63      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 36      PPV 51.52
Maint Life 5.46 Years     MSP 2 791    AFR 116%    IFR 1.6%    1YR 157    5YR 2 357    Max Repair 960 MSP
Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Morale Check Required   

Military Jump Engine Mk. II (Laser) J10200(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10200 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Military Engine Mk. II Internal Fusion Drive  EP300.00 (5)    Power 1500    Fuel Use 82.67%    Signature 300    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1 000 000 Litres    Range 23.3 billion km (33 days at full power)

Laser Turret Mk. II Twin Laser Mk. I-I 15.0cm C4 X-Ray Laser Turret (4x2)    Range 420 000km     TS: 40000 km/s     Power 12-8     RM 70 000 km    ROF 10       
Power Plant Mk. I Stellarator Fusion Reactor R12 (4)     Total Power Output 49.6    Exp 5%

Laser Sensor Mk. II Active Search Sensor AS12-R100 (1)     GPS 480     Range 12.8m km    Resolution 100

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

If they have an ECM of say 30 that would explain why your hit ratio are so low at 300kkm distance. You should generally hit about 29% times your captains tactical bonus and crew grade. If you deduct a 30% from that you might get down to about 8-12% roughly to hit. Remember that ECM is not multiplicative penalty but a just a pure negative. So if you have a total of 38% to hit and they have ECM 30 that is 8% to hit in total.

The following users thanked this post: Kamilo

Offline Eternal Noob

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
  • Space is long and dark and empty
« Reply #1372 on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
Is the "squadron jump by sub-fleet" supposed to break the fleet apart? Whenever I try to use it they just break into sub-fleets and sit on the jump point not doing anything.

Also, is there any way to automate parisite craft more? I'd like to have a setup where a jump carrier deploys smaller survey vessels to recon a system, but my current FAC sized survey shuttles end up returning before they can fully survey most bodies, which leads to a lot of really tedious micro-management, to the point I'm considering just reworking the carrier to do the surveying itself.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #1373 on: February 08, 2021, 03:22:33 PM »
Thank you very much. I will try to boost my ecm and eccm.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1374 on: February 08, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
Is the "squadron jump by sub-fleet" supposed to break the fleet apart? Whenever I try to use it they just break into sub-fleets and sit on the jump point not doing anything.

Also, is there any way to automate parisite craft more? I'd like to have a setup where a jump carrier deploys smaller survey vessels to recon a system, but my current FAC sized survey shuttles end up returning before they can fully survey most bodies, which leads to a lot of really tedious micro-management, to the point I'm considering just reworking the carrier to do the surveying itself.

It is supposed to break the fleet apart - in a successful squadron jump each squadron will end up in a different place.

For survey parasites there's no good automation, but you should consider designing them for greater range. If your ships are returning so soon they likely need a much longer range as traveling from one body to the next consumes a significant amount of fuel.

The following users thanked this post: Eternal Noob

Offline Eternal Noob

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
  • Space is long and dark and empty
« Reply #1375 on: February 08, 2021, 05:02:59 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=11545. msg148606#msg148606 date=1612821252
Quote from: Eternal Noob link=topic=11545. msg148604#msg148604 date=1612819204

It is supposed to break the fleet apart - in a successful squadron jump each squadron will end up in a different place.

For survey parasites there's no good automation, but you should consider designing them for greater range.  If your ships are returning so soon they likely need a much longer range as traveling from one body to the next consumes a significant amount of fuel.

Yeah, I figured the shuttles needed more range but decided against it because I was hoping to automate things a bit more and I'd already had to increase the capacity of my shipyard twice to build the carrier.

As for the issue with the squadron jump, I thought that since it let a fleet jump using a jump tender instead of its own jump drive that "squadron jump by sub-fleet" would do the same thing but using jump tenders in each sub-fleet instead of one for the whole fleet.  Instead, they just kinda sat there doing nothing and claimed that their orders were fulfilled.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1376 on: February 08, 2021, 06:01:25 PM »
Yeah, I figured the shuttles needed more range but decided against it because I was hoping to automate things a bit more and I'd already had to increase the capacity of my shipyard twice to build the carrier.

As for the issue with the squadron jump, I thought that since it let a fleet jump using a jump tender instead of its own jump drive that "squadron jump by sub-fleet" would do the same thing but using jump tenders in each sub-fleet instead of one for the whole fleet.  Instead, they just kinda sat there doing nothing and claimed that their orders were fulfilled.

For survey shuttles you usually need to compromise on speed, either engine or survey (1 sensor instead of 2) speed, to get enough range, but the range does have to be the primary thing you optimize for. If they are slower individually that is fine as you have many of them so a survey will still go quite fast.

The squadron jump order is...difficult in my experience. You may need to issue jump orders per-squadron manually which is some more annoying micro but I think the jump order doesn't always do well recognizing that subfleets can jump properly. Either that, or the order isn't processed somewhere down the chain correctly, I really can't be sure.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1377 on: February 09, 2021, 12:39:47 AM »

You need to designate the design as a supply ship. You can tick a box at the top right. Once you do, you can further set the ship to constantly share supplies with the fleet they're in (ship overview for the particular ship on the F4-screen), or you can order it to resupply other ships and/or colonies.
Forgot to mention it, but the ship does have that box ticked. I though only tried to move to a fleet and resupply from there, never entered it as a sub-fleet; but that "external" resupplying neither worked with or without cargo shuttles.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1378 on: February 09, 2021, 01:07:16 AM »

Forgot to mention it, but the ship does have that box ticked. I though only tried to move to a fleet and resupply from there, never entered it as a sub-fleet; but that "external" resupplying neither worked with or without cargo shuttles.

Check the assigned MSP transfer behavior by selecting that ship in the fleet window. It may default to "Don't Resupply Fleet" and need to be changed.

Offline Pixel1191

• P
« Reply #1379 on: February 09, 2021, 03:57:14 AM »
Pretty sure the whole "jump by sub-fleet" is bugged. They do the first part of the order alright, splitting into the subfleets, but they seem to forget about the jumping part, because they say they're done but haven't gone anywhere.

Always have to jump them manually and then manually reassemble on the other side.

A functioning order of "squadron transit by sub-fleet and reassemble" is probably wishful thinking, but one can always hope....because the micro of just jumping a sub-divided combat fleet into an enemy system is atrocious.