Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365815 times)

Offline Caesar

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1410 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:12 PM »
Those are precursors. You can't reason with them.

I did realize that part, but I want to set them as enemy/hostile.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1411 on: February 12, 2021, 01:30:53 PM »
How can I create a new species on earth in SpaceMaster mode? It always falls back to the default species and does not create a completely new one.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1412 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:15 PM »
SM Mode -> System window -> select a suitable planet, e.g. Earth -> Create Race button

I just did this and it did in fact create a distinctive, non-Human race. If this doesn't happen you should still be able to edit the racial traits and name/save it as a new race.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1413 on: February 12, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
What is considered a 'big' empire in Aurora?

I want to first establish my empire in the 'core systems' 5 jumps away from Earth (which starts with 8 Jump Points) and developing them fully before turning on NPRs. Is that too large, too small, or just right?

Also, for stations is it better to go big or go sensible? I go big cuz I'd rather my tugs go on long journeys once than multiple journey's I'd have to micromanage.

Speaking of tugs, does it make any sense to give the military engines?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:58:53 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Gabrote42

• G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1414 on: February 12, 2021, 04:06:52 PM »
What is considered a 'big' empire in Aurora?

I want to first establish my empire in the 'core systems' 5 jumps away from Earth (which starts with 8 Jump Points) and developing them fully before turning on NPRs. Is that too large, too small, or just right?
As Far As I Can Remember, Steve's empires dominate around 6 branches that are around 8 systems long when he uses their galactic maps as examples. No clue how big that is, so consider checking playthroughs (like EnterElysium's)
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #1415 on: February 13, 2021, 12:58:41 PM »
Ah, that might be it, thanks. I'm not quite sure which font size Steve uses, but I've attached a screenshot for comparison! Don't mind the fact that I named the race after myself. I have... Reasons. And it's funnier left unexplained.

That actually looks like the right font size, with no extra font scaling. You may have found a genuine bug, or just a different way for the UI elements to be accidentally hidden.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #1416 on: February 13, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »
Show us a screenshot.

The radio buttons for hostile and neutral always show up regardless of the diplomacy rating, but like most items they can probably become invisible if your font is larger than the one Steve has on his computer, or if your text scale is different.

Ah, that might be it, thanks. I'm not quite sure which font size Steve uses, but I've attached a screenshot for comparison! Don't mind the fact that I named the race after myself. I have... Reasons. And it's funnier left unexplained.
I suspect you might need to click on one of the elements of the list to make it appear.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1417 on: February 14, 2021, 11:44:54 AM »
Does C# not have an option to set a fleet to a certain speed?  ???

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1418 on: February 14, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »

It does, but you need to not only set the speed but uncheck "Use Maximum Speed" in the fleet movement orders tab. I'm not sure this requires two steps, but it does.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1419 on: February 14, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »

It does, but you need to not only set the speed but uncheck "Use Maximum Speed" in the fleet movement orders tab. I'm not sure this requires two steps, but it does.

It uses two steps because if you wanted to go back to maximum speed after setting it to something lower its much faster to just recheck the box than it is to look up, see the fleet speed and then type it in the "set speed" dialog.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1420 on: February 14, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »
Oh, the set speed button is in the lower button row, not in the orders button row...  :o
Yeah... Aurora UI quirks  ::)

Thanks.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1421 on: February 15, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »
Is there a way to limit pop-growth on a planet that only has a space station and therefore a limited number of pop-space? it is annoying to have them reproduce above the limit and then revolting having not enough space to live in...

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1422 on: February 17, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
Is there a way to limit pop-growth on a planet that only has a space station and therefore a limited number of pop-space? it is annoying to have them reproduce above the limit and then revolting having not enough space to live in...

Right now there appears to be no option to limit it. All you can do is provide Lebensraum or fight the unrest. I am personally hoping for a population cap mechanic for space stations, which works similarly to what we have for orbital bodies.

Question:

The maximum beam fire range is approximately 5 light seconds and is limited by beam fire control technology. STO units get a 25% range bonus. Do they break general relativity?

Offline Kylemmie

• K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1423 on: February 17, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »

Right now there appears to be no option to limit it. All you can do is provide Lebensraum or fight the unrest. I am personally hoping for a population cap mechanic for space stations, which works similarly to what we have for orbital bodies.

Newer player so this confused me a bit. OP wants to limit pop growth on a planet - Kilo replied 'no, but then stated there is a method for 'orbital bodies'. What is the distinction between a planet and an orbital body? Planet, asteroid, comet, moon - all can have colonies, so I was treating 'planet' as a generic orbital body for this convo.

How do you cap growth on an orbital body? I can stop immigration, but I can't impose sterilization right? Peeps gonna make babies and make infra so the babies can go live on the planet/orbital body despite the 'stable' setting. If it is a high CC world (using Habs, so prob), the auto infra building can't keep up with the sex addicts.

I assume there is a 'colony' on the planet to contain the installations the Hab peeps are working, for which the Hab peeps gleefully make infra whether you want it on that surface or not. Issue could be the colony using the overall planet pop max for the growth % even tho there is no capability to survive on the surface atm? Or does it happen once infra hits the surface, the colony see's the max planet pop size as the number to use for pop growth, despite your lack of infra to house them all?

Either eliminate the ability for Hab peeps to construct Infra, or make sure the Planet pop cap isn't used in the pop growth formula for Hab only colonies?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:58:52 PM by Kylemmie »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1424 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »

Newer player so this confused me a bit. OP wants to limit pop growth on a planet - Kilo replied 'no, but then stated there is a method for 'orbital bodies'. What is the distinction between a planet and an orbital body? Planet, asteroid, comet, moon - all can have colonies, so I was treating 'planet' as a generic orbital body for this convo.

How do you cap growth on an orbital body? I can stop immigration, but I can't impose sterilization right? Peeps gonna make babies and make infra so the babies can go live on the planet/orbital body despite the 'stable' setting. If it is a high CC world (using Habs, so prob), the auto infra building can't keep up with the sex addicts.

I assume there is a 'colony' on the planet to contain the installations the Hab peeps are working, for which the Hab peeps gleefully make infra whether you want it on that surface or not. Issue could be the colony using the overall planet pop max for the growth % even tho there is no capability to survive on the surface atm? Or does it happen once infra hits the surface, the colony see's the max planet pop size as the number to use for pop growth, despite your lack of infra to house them all?

Either eliminate the ability for Hab peeps to construct Infra, or make sure the Planet pop cap isn't used in the pop growth formula for Hab only colonies?

He is referring to the fact that planets also have a population capacity like orbital habitats do. The problem the people are pointing out is that there is no way to prevent orbital habitat populations to "spill over" onto the planet, which thanks to the way worker availability and agricultural sector size is calculated can result in a massive loss in workforce.