Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358167 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2385 on: January 07, 2022, 06:44:55 PM »
Is there a way for me to build my own freighter and set up standing or cycling orders to exchange trade goods?
No, that's not possible at the moment. Only civilian shipping lines can do trade goods and ergo, only they can do trade with NPRs. As nuclearslurpee said, you need stabilized jump points in every system between your colonies and their colonies before your civilians will start trading with them. AI usually is quite aggressive in stabilizing JP's so if the network doesn't exist yet, it will soon. In fact, in one game Steve wrote about here, his civilians discovered the NPR home world by 'accident' via trade.

Offline gaz

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #2386 on: January 07, 2022, 09:40:51 PM »
Hello Chaps,

Does any one know what the impact of changing the sub-pulse does to tun processing???

I dont quite understand what it is or what effect it has on the game. . . .

Cheers

Gaz

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2387 on: January 07, 2022, 11:33:57 PM »
For the most part it will only make the game run slower (or faster) if the selected sub-pulse is smaller (or larger) than the automatic one. Really the only reason to ever mess with this is if you need a specific sub-pulse to make something "work", for example you could select a smaller one if you expect to encounter a hostile ship on sensors but want to use a large increment to advance time.

Generally do not worry about it unless you know what you are doing. Or you think you know what you are doing, anyways.  ;)

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #2388 on: January 08, 2022, 01:58:02 AM »
Is there a way to lock the person assigned to a sector so he doesn't get automatically assigned to a colony?

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2389 on: January 08, 2022, 03:00:23 AM »
I'm in yet another brush with Precursors and I've fired a few missile salvos. The first, my usual size 10 ASM, worked like it should and went boom. Then my fighters and later my destroyers launched more salvos with two types of my size 8 el-cheapo ASMs. Which have worked against Precursors before, one of them even carrying the same second stage as the size 10 type.

This time they just disappeared. They reached separation range, separated, closed the remaining distance and then vanished. Every time. No sign of defensive fire, no hidden messages in the log.

Yes, the targets are well in sight of plenty of active sensors, missile range and fire control ranges are a multiple of the actual range to these targets. What's wrong here?

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2390 on: January 08, 2022, 09:05:31 AM »
I have captured a few enemy colony ships with colonists on board. How do I get rid of them. My game won't let me land them on a world with a different race it says.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2391 on: January 08, 2022, 09:17:54 AM »
I'm in yet another brush with Precursors and I've fired a few missile salvos. The first, my usual size 10 ASM, worked like it should and went boom. Then my fighters and later my destroyers launched more salvos with two types of my size 8 el-cheapo ASMs. Which have worked against Precursors before, one of them even carrying the same second stage as the size 10 type.

This time they just disappeared. They reached separation range, separated, closed the remaining distance and then vanished. Every time. No sign of defensive fire, no hidden messages in the log.

Yes, the targets are well in sight of plenty of active sensors, missile range and fire control ranges are a multiple of the actual range to these targets. What's wrong here?

This is likely due to a bug I've noted before in how the separation distance of two-stage missiles is calculated; see here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12522.msg152316#msg152316

The short of it is that the missile separation code adjusts for the movement of the target when calculating when to release the second stage. However, it uses the speed of the first stage, not the second stage, to determine how far away to release it. This can result in too large of a separation distance, so your second stages are likely running out of fuel before hitting their targets. This can be solved either by giving your second stages a good deal of a buffer between the separation distance and their endurance, or by calculating how to adjust the separation distance for each combat (which will depend on the speed of the enemy ship and whether it's moving towards or away from the missiles) and editing the database each time with the corrected value.

The following users thanked this post: Zook

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2392 on: January 08, 2022, 10:05:08 AM »
Yes, that's it - they separate far too early. Thanks!

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2393 on: January 08, 2022, 12:13:43 PM »
One more question.  Can shipyards be towed or moved to another planet?
If yes, how?

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #2394 on: January 08, 2022, 01:56:46 PM »
Yes, ships with tractor beams can be given orders to attach to shipyards, move to the desired new location, then to detach

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2395 on: January 08, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »
I have captured a few enemy colony ships with colonists on board. How do I get rid of them. My game won't let me land them on a world with a different race it says.

Each colony on a world can only contain population of a single race. You need a colony of the correct race to drop them off at. It’s been quite a while, but as I recall once you have multiple species in your empire you are supposed to be able to choose what race a newly–created colony is for.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2396 on: January 08, 2022, 06:43:51 PM »

Each colony on a world can only contain population of a single race. You need a colony of the correct race to drop them off at. It’s been quite a while, but as I recall once you have multiple species in your empire you are supposed to be able to choose what race a newly–created colony is for.

for the most part. but since he dose not have any of that species yet on a colony he can not make a new colony for them. He would have to conquer a colony of theirs with a token population on it, then he can create his own colony for that species.

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
« Reply #2397 on: January 09, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »
I am having land battles for first time.
My troops on enemy moon have 0% supplies after I won. I need to attack another moon. How can I resupply?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2398 on: January 09, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »
I am having land battles for first time.
My troops on enemy moon have 0% supplies after I won. I need to attack another moon. How can I resupply?

The supply counter is their internal supply, make sure you have enough light vehicle supply trucks at the top of the hierarchy and send them to war.

It'll be fine.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:25:12 AM by Droll »

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #2399 on: January 10, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
Must be the oldest question on this board, but why are ships sometimes flying an arc towards their target? Because the shortest connection between two points is a curve? Or is it the whiskey?

Tanker Tennessee is out of fuel and headed towards the Sol JP. TK Mineapolis heads from Novograd towards it. The red arrow is the course I would have expected.