Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358180 times)

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2460 on: February 04, 2022, 08:24:11 PM »
Here is a weird question.  If you are playing a Real Stars game - what happens if you run out of system names i.e. every system in the list is generated?  Will the game just generate new random systems or are you done exploring? 

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2461 on: February 04, 2022, 08:29:09 PM »
You're not going to run out of system names. The list is too long.

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2462 on: February 04, 2022, 10:18:52 PM »
Wiki
And another one:
Is there any way to load ground troops faster? I tried to select multiple units with shift and hit "add move", but it only added the very first one selected... the enter-key does not work either...

create a "dummy command" have all units that you want to load under said command, and when you go lot load the units, make sure you select "load-subunits" (or something to that effect). As long as the transport is big enough to hold all the units, they will all be loaded.

There is a sub-unit option??? You, sir, have just won me s lot of lifetime! Many thanks!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2463 on: February 04, 2022, 11:46:44 PM »
Here is a weird question.  If you are playing a Real Stars game - what happens if you run out of system names i.e. every system in the list is generated?  Will the game just generate new random systems or are you done exploring?
You're not going to run out of system names. The list is too long.

There are around 4,400 Real Stars, so it is extremely improbable to ever explore all of them in a single game - even with the improved efficiency of C# a game with so many systems would be slowed down to the point of being unplayable unless you very carefully limited how many systems could be "active" at a time (and the means to do this would make the game very repetitive). You're more likely to hit MaxTech before you explore every system, I think.

If you did somehow accomplish this, I believe under most circumstances what would happen is that any remaining jump points would link back to existing systems instead of generating new ones. If you wanted to generate additional systems, you would have to switch to Random Stars in the game options and set the maximum number of systems to be in excess of 4,400 or so.

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2464 on: February 05, 2022, 05:21:20 AM »
Advice sought on display scaling Win10 1080p.

Can anyone advise?

Win10 DPI compatibility settings dont seem to work properly, am I doing something wrong?

I tried to set compatibility up so that when I start Aurora it uses a 100% DPI ratio on a 27" 1080p monitor for which I normally use 125% scaling.

But it does not work for Aurora4xC# exclusively.

Whatever compatibility settings I use in whatever sequence, Aurora opens with the same scaling as the desktop.

Isnt compatibility supposed to override desktop scaling per app?

The Windows compatibility logic seems to be broken. It gives a choice to either use the DPI set for the main display either "when I open this program" /or/ "when I signed into windows" but if you open the program at 100% with the first "when I open this program" option ticked and change the desktop to 125%, the program (Aurora) then opens with the desktop setting not the previous setting.

I have tried many different sequences and none will allow Aurora to open with a different DPI scaling to the desktop, so I have to change it manually.

Anyone got this to work?

Offline CaiusIuliusCaesar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #2465 on: February 05, 2022, 05:50:53 PM »
Do buyos work at all? I'd like to deploy sensor probes all over the place, but when I tried something similiar with missile buyos, I was told that they are bugged. So, does an engineless "missile" with sensors stay in space, detecting forever?

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2466 on: February 05, 2022, 06:07:51 PM »
Do buyos work at all? I'd like to deploy sensor probes all over the place, but when I tried something similiar with missile buyos, I was told that they are bugged. So, does an engineless "missile" with sensors stay in space, detecting forever?

--- Yes, but only if deployed as a second stage. Make the buoy, load it into an engine stage, and set the separation range to 0. Fire it at a waypoint, preferably one that is setup where you want that buoy to be. Viola. Sensor Buoy.

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm, CaiusIuliusCaesar

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #2467 on: February 05, 2022, 09:01:47 PM »

--- Yes, but only if deployed as a second stage.

This is wrong.

An engineless missile, if you move to, say, a jump point and trigger the "launch ready ordnance" command, will stay on site forever. Doesn't need to be a second stage.

The following users thanked this post: CaiusIuliusCaesar

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2468 on: February 05, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »

--- Yes, but only if deployed as a second stage.

This is wrong.

An engineless missile, if you move to, say, a jump point and trigger the "launch ready ordnance" command, will stay on site forever. Doesn't need to be a second stage.

--- Ok, half wrong then I guess. If you enter the orbit of a body and hit "Launch Ready Ordinance." AFAIK the buoy will not remain in orbit.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2469 on: February 06, 2022, 03:02:43 AM »
Yeah the behaviour is different whether you just want it to stay in one position - like a JP - or you want it to stick with a body through its orbit.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2470 on: February 06, 2022, 06:24:11 AM »
The cautious player will make it a two–stage missile just so that they can launch it from long range.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #2471 on: February 07, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »
Is there any case where a deep-space station is a better choice for something like a gas station or population center over just using some barren rock?

Also, is there any way to get civilians to deliver fuel to said space station? (i actually forget whether civilians can deliver fuel at all...)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:14:31 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #2472 on: February 07, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »
Is there any case where a deep-space station is a better choice for something like a gas station or population center over just using some barren rock?

Also, is there any way to get civilians to deliver fuel to said space station? (i actually forget whether civilians can deliver fuel at all...)

I often use Deep Space Refueling/Support Bases if I have a large system and the JPs are way out there, I might put a refueling center in the traffic lane to keep ships from having to travel all the way in system. I also use refueling stations if I have a system with no colonies but a fuel harvesting operation around a gas giant.  This becomes the refueling point for traffic.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2473 on: February 08, 2022, 02:37:18 AM »

It is easier to set up a fuel harvesting hub since you don't need workers for it. Same is true for maintenance stations.

It will allow you to setup in any place you like (gas giant for example).

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2474 on: February 08, 2022, 05:17:20 AM »
Sometimes it's better to have something stationary rather than something that can end up in an off position of a jump point or a colony due to its own orbit.