Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358192 times)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3045 on: September 24, 2022, 06:38:23 PM »
[…] in the case of GEV/GSV interbuild, I understand it is a limitation of the mechanics but these really should be interbuildable IMO as you're ripping out one sensor suite and slapping another into the hole.

Unless a lot of that build cost isn’t something that just plugs into a slot, but is instead sensor elements elaborately threaded throughout the hull. Maybe the shapes of the two hulls are entirely different due to the differing needs of the two types of sensors.

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #3046 on: September 25, 2022, 01:19:29 AM »
You can see that the two survey ship classes are in no way interbuildable with each other, and even if you had a mixed-use ship with 2x Geo + 2x Grav sensors it still would not work. However, the shipyard-only class allows a single shipyard to build either kind of survey ship since the refit cost is only the cost of the jump drive with a 20% premium (plus some smaller amounts for differences in e.g. crew quarters between the classes).

I had never thought of that, it's like overengineering the shipyard to make it more flexible. Interesting...

I frequently do this for small single role warships like destroyers or frigates when I want to build several variants with the same engines/armor/etc but different weapons packages, especially if I know I will need them in large but indeterminately proportioned quantities. I call it a Series Hull.  So, I might have a Series 2120 Destroyer Hull which can be used to build a missile destroyer, a beam destroyer and a point defense destroyer, that are all identical except for their armament and maybe the resolution of their active sensor. Then you can be very flexible responding to the needs of the fleet with a single shipyard and not have to retool constantly.

I find it less useful for larger ships because they tend to be multirole, so I rarely have a bunch of different cruiser designs that I need to build at the same time, for example. Plus, big ships tend to be built in smaller batches with a bit more planning and foresight, since they require a lot of investment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 01:23:36 AM by rainyday »

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3047 on: September 25, 2022, 03:39:49 AM »
I had never thought of that, it's like overengineering the shipyard to make it more flexible. Interesting...

I usually try to avoid getting too silly with the refits (ProTip: you can in some cases make two classes interbuildable from a third class just by putting a lot of very expensive components like high-boost power reactors to drive up the base cost, so you have more room under that 20% limit), but in the case of GEV/GSV interbuild, I understand it is a limitation of the mechanics but these really should be interbuildable IMO as you're ripping out one sensor suite and slapping another into the hole. That's when having tricks like these comes in handy to support your roleplay even if it is, nominally, a tad exploit-y.

I for one strongly recommend doing all your ship design in the Ship optimizer, and then using the Bridging Hull tool to auto-generate a hull design that will let you build as many ship types from one shipyard tooling as possible: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10999.0

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #3048 on: September 25, 2022, 08:51:00 AM »
Is there a way to see all bodies that still have a ground survey potential? Right now I'm looking through my solar systems 1 by 1 but that is getting more and more cumbersome as the size of my discovered space increases.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3049 on: September 25, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »
Is there a way to see all bodies that still have a ground survey potential? Right now I'm looking through my solar systems 1 by 1 but that is getting more and more cumbersome as the size of my discovered space increases.

Survey Sites tab on the Tactical Map.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3050 on: September 25, 2022, 09:23:09 AM »

There is also a checkbox for Galactic Map that is useful for this: Display - Ground Survey Locations. This will mark systems with bodies that have survey potential.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3051 on: September 26, 2022, 12:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the info on the pods, my Bushwacker ground support fighter has just finished technological development.  Looks like what I wanted to do won't be possible with respect to a helo regiment.  I've also temporarily attached my construction battalions to my divisions, and they are digging them in happily.

Code: [Select]
Bushwacker class Ground Support Fighter      99 tons       1 Crew       38.9 BP       TCS 2    TH 0    EM 0
227 km/s      Armour 1-1       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 1/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 1
Maint Life 0 Years     MSP 0    AFR 19%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 1    5YR 8    Max Repair 10 MSP
Magazine 20   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 days    Morale Check Required   

Cox Thrust Type CE15 Atmo-Orbit Thruster (3)    Power 0.4    Fuel Use 2204.54%    Signature 0.15    Explosion 15%
Fuel Capacity 1,000 Litres    Range 0.1 billion km (4 days at full power)

Miles Kinetics Standard Pod Bay (2)     Pod Size: 10    Hangar Reload 158 minutes    MF Reload 26 hours
Reynolds Electronics Industries Ground Attack Sensor Suite (1)     Range 1.1m km    Resolution 1

Stone Sensor Systems FLIR Array Type SC/6 (1)     Sensitivity 1.2     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  8.7m km

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction
This design is classed as a Ground Support Fighter for auto-assignment purposes

Not sure if it needs an actual search sensor or not to be useful in ground attack.  I'm trying to keep the mass down to <100 tons.  The standard pods carried are a Thunderchild rotary cannon (anti-armour) and 2xBuzzsaw rotary cannon (anti-personal).

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3052 on: September 27, 2022, 03:24:54 PM »
1 - Do unturreted weapons on ships with no engines have essentially 0% chance to hit? I know the game uses the tracking speed of either the weapon or the firecontrol, but how does this translate to stations? Wanted to put some Particle Beams on orbital defence platforms...

2 - How efficient is NPR colonization? I have recently given much thought to this. Expansion is the name of the game in Aurora. Multiple relatively small, specialized colonies of around 60 million pop have served me well. This does require lots of infrastructure and shipping capacity. Does the AI colonize in similar ways? How does it work? Worried about playing too well and leaving the AIs behind...

3 - How do I engage in diplomacy with NPRs, again? Built a small diplomacy ship, commercial, masses around 4000 tons, wanted to post it on the NPR homeworld and start racking the diplo points. They didn't blow it up, but immediately demanded that I leave as soon as it showed up on sensors. I'm sure I had nothing else in the system.  ???

4 - Is it better to expand shipyard capacity first and then add slipways or add slipways then expand capacity? I would think it'd be easier to build the slips first then expand them all simultaneously instead of making a giant slip and then building another one just like it from scratch.

Edit:

5 - How does refuelling within a taskgroup work? Put a tanker in a TG alongside some colonyships, hoping they would refuel automatically but they just don't. They don't just stop in deep space to do it if need be; don't perform underway refueling; they don't even refuel during the load-unload period in orbit of planets. Tanker was set to "Refuel Own Fleet". Not even using the order to "Refuel From Own Tankers", works.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:30:57 PM by Xkill »

Offline superstrijder15

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #3053 on: September 27, 2022, 04:53:31 PM »
Does the game always give you accurate information on what things are of the same alien race? For example, if I encounter a ship in 1 system, and they belong to a new alien race, and then I go to the next system and it has ground forces of a different race, is that always a different spoiler or NPR, or can it be that my intelligence people just cannot see whether they are the same species & I need to see more (eg. a ship hovering over a colony) before I can match them?

Offline rainyday

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #3054 on: September 27, 2022, 05:16:03 PM »
Does the game always give you accurate information on what things are of the same alien race?

Yes. The game will always correctly identify which race a ship or population belongs to. So, if it says they're different then they are.

One caveat though, some spoilers generate as a distinct race (read, empire). So, it's possible to have multiple copies of them active in the game simultaneously and they are treated as different races by the intelligence window. If you are seeing two different races with the same picture that's likely what is going on. If they have different pictures, they're definitely not the same species.

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3055 on: September 27, 2022, 09:15:23 PM »
1 - Do unturreted weapons on ships with no engines have essentially 0% chance to hit? I know the game uses the tracking speed of either the weapon or the firecontrol, but how does this translate to stations? Wanted to put some Particle Beams on orbital defence platforms...

If your ship speed is lower than your racial BFC speed tech, the weapon %chance to hit will be based on the racial tech level instead of the ship speed. This makes beam weapons stations viable.

2 - How efficient is NPR colonization? I have recently given much thought to this. Expansion is the name of the game in Aurora. Multiple relatively small, specialized colonies of around 60 million pop have served me well. This does require lots of infrastructure and shipping capacity. Does the AI colonize in similar ways? How does it work? Worried about playing too well and leaving the AIs behind...

"Efficient" and "NPR" do not go in the same sentence. They will colonize but they are not very good at it compared to a player.

Note that NPR commercial fleets use the same logic in most ways as the civilian shipping lines do for player races.

3 - How do I engage in diplomacy with NPRs, again? Built a small diplomacy ship, commercial, masses around 4000 tons, wanted to post it on the NPR homeworld and start racking the diplo points. They didn't blow it up, but immediately demanded that I leave as soon as it showed up on sensors. I'm sure I had nothing else in the system.  ???

That's pretty much it, there's no buttons to press and all you have to do is wait for something to happen or one of the diplomacy treaties to become available. It is best to station your diplo ship away from the NPR home system, but in a system where they have some presence so you can still do diplomacy with them.

4 - Is it better to expand shipyard capacity first and then add slipways or add slipways then expand capacity? I would think it'd be easier to build the slips first then expand them all simultaneously instead of making a giant slip and then building another one just like it from scratch.

Doesn't really matter, choose based on your priority. If you want to use the shipyard to build smaller ships while you size it up, you can expand the slipways first. If you need a big ship ASAP expand the tonnage first.

5 - How does refuelling within a taskgroup work? Put a tanker in a TG alongside some colonyships, hoping they would refuel automatically but they just don't. They don't just stop in deep space to do it if need be; don't perform underway refueling; they don't even refuel during the load-unload period in orbit of planets. Tanker was set to "Refuel Own Fleet". Not even using the order to "Refuel From Own Tankers", works.

Underway refueling requires a tech line to be researched in the Logistics category.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3056 on: September 28, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »
I wonder if someone could assist me please.

One of the ( many ) things I sometimes struggle with is with making a planet habitable by terraforming ( I use non-engined terraformers which are towed by a Tug ).

I have successfully terraformed Luna , Mars and an Alpha Centauri planet and these have colonists.

My problem at present is that I have a planet ( Itchen II ) which has an alien installation and is in a strategic position so I wish to terraform and colonize the planet. I have just removed all traces of Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere ( took ages )

Currently it has the following :-

Atmospheric Pressure                0.097
Greenhouse Gas Pressure          0.000
Anti-Greenhouse Gas Pressure    0.000
Greenhouse Factor                     1.010
Anti-Greenhouse Factor              1.000
Albedo Factor                             0.936

Nitrogen                                79.365%
Argon                                    20.635%

Base Temperature                  -75.552
Surface Temperature              -86.380

Minimum Temperature           -99.307
Maximum Temperature           40.386

Hydrographic Extent                 0.00

What should I be looking at and doing next so that the planet temperature is within the human range of -10 to 38 degrees,

I am unclear at to what the exact relationship is between the base/surface temperature and the maximum/minimum tempearture , I assume the -10 to 38 temp for humans relates to the Min/Max shown above.

If I am correct how do I get the Minimum Temperature up from -99.307  to at least -10 for humans without raising the 40.386 figure excessively ( presume this has to come down to less than 38 degrees ) . I am stuck on what I should do next - if I am told it will be an impossible task I will just have to flood the plaanet with Infrastructure.

Many thanks

DavidR

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3057 on: September 28, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »
I typically try to get to a breathable atmosphere 1st and then work on temperature as the penalties for temperature are lower.  Just adding the O2 and nitrogen to get to a breathable temperature will raise your current surface temperature of -86.38 significantly closer to the Human range.  then you can adjust to get the temperature up.

I am unclear at to what the exact relationship is between the base/surface temperature and the maximum/minimum temperature , I assume the -10 to 38 temp for humans relates to the Min/Max shown above.

The minimum and maximum temperatures are based on the base temperature and the limits of the greenhouse / anti-greenhouse factors and represent the best you can ever hope for.  in this case with a large enough greenhouse factor you can get into the human range, so it is a candidate for Terraforming.  These values do not change  the only value that changes is the surface temperature.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3058 on: September 28, 2022, 03:22:42 PM »

Minimum Temperature           -99.307
Maximum Temperature           40.386

I don't think you can terraform this planet. The difference between the two temperatures is too big. Most likely the orbit is too eccentric.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3059 on: September 29, 2022, 12:42:49 PM »
I'm looking to invade a planet with terrain listed as "Desert Mountain" - do my troops need both desert and mountain capability?