Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358173 times)

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3330 on: July 06, 2023, 01:14:13 PM »
Can we have some drawing tools on the tactical map? It would be nice if we could connect points on it to measure distances or connect jump points with a line, allowing us to put a sensor buoy a few million kilometers off of the direct connection. It would help in deploying mines a lot as well.

The following users thanked this post: ABO_777, BAGrimm

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3331 on: July 06, 2023, 01:40:00 PM »
This brings me to a related question.  In the older version of Aurora you could measure distance on the system map by right clicking (I think) on the map and dragging to the target, and Aurora would draw a line and give you a distance.  I can't seem to make this work.  Is there still a way to do this in the game?

It's left-click shift-drag now.

The following users thanked this post: Kurt, serger

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3332 on: July 14, 2023, 01:07:36 PM »
A quick question.  I can post a pic if necessary, but I think this is a fairly simple problem, I'm just thick sometimes.

I'm terraforming a planet.  The planet's atmo is classified as breathable, and the temp is within tolerances for humans, as is the atmo pressure.  There are no dangerous gasses. 

The planet started with zero water, and I've been adding water vapor to the planet, which seems to be the only way to increase the hydro percentage.  Does the water precipitate out of the atmosphere at some point, increasing the hydro percentage, which seems to be the only thing increasing the colony cost at this point?  If not, I'm never going to be able to reach colony cost zero because I'm getting close to the 4 atmo limit for humans. 

Hmmm...looking at some of my other terraformed planets, it seems like it does precipitate out as I've inundated a couple of colonies. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3333 on: July 14, 2023, 02:10:56 PM »
A quick question.  I can post a pic if necessary, but I think this is a fairly simple problem, I'm just thick sometimes.

I'm terraforming a planet.  The planet's atmo is classified as breathable, and the temp is within tolerances for humans, as is the atmo pressure.  There are no dangerous gasses. 

The planet started with zero water, and I've been adding water vapor to the planet, which seems to be the only way to increase the hydro percentage.  Does the water precipitate out of the atmosphere at some point, increasing the hydro percentage, which seems to be the only thing increasing the colony cost at this point?  If not, I'm never going to be able to reach colony cost zero because I'm getting close to the 4 atmo limit for humans. 

Hmmm...looking at some of my other terraformed planets, it seems like it does precipitate out as I've inundated a couple of colonies.

What's the temperature of the planet?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3334 on: July 14, 2023, 03:19:24 PM »

Currently 9.8 C, although it has varied a bit as I've fumbled around during my terraforming.  I believe it was a bit hotter to begin with, as I've added some Frigusium to the atmo. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3335 on: July 14, 2023, 05:08:39 PM »

Currently 9.8 C, although it has varied a bit as I've fumbled around during my terraforming.  I believe it was a bit hotter to begin with, as I've added some Frigusium to the atmo.

Water won't condense above about 80C (I think) so 9.8C should be fine. Is it possible the planet has a very eccentric orbit and is hotter for most of its orbit?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3336 on: July 14, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »

Water won't condense above about 80C (I think) so 9.8C should be fine. Is it possible the planet has a very eccentric orbit and is hotter for most of its orbit?

It's a moon of a gas giant, so it doesn't have an eccentric orbit.  Sorry, should have mentioned it before.

Does it take time for the water to condense out of the atmosphere?  That's my current theory. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3337 on: July 14, 2023, 06:38:20 PM »
It's a moon of a gas giant, so it doesn't have an eccentric orbit.  Sorry, should have mentioned it before.

Moons will have effects from the eccentricity of their parent body, so if the gas giant has an eccentric orbit then the moon will see similar temperature changes throughout the planet's orbit.

Does it take time for the water to condense out of the atmosphere?  That's my current theory.

This is correct. Per Steve dev post:
7)   Water vapour will condense out of the atmosphere at a rate of 0.1 atm per year and increase the planet's Hydro Extent

8)   Each 1% of Hydro Extent requires 0.025 atm of water vapour. This means that creating 20% Hydro Extent would require 0.5 atm of water vapour (this will be much faster on smaller worlds because the speed at which water vapour atm is added is linked to surface area). With this in mind, existing water becomes an important factor in the speed at which terraforming can be accomplished, especially on larger worlds.

There were some changes in terraforming related to the eccentric orbits in 2.0+ but I don't think the rate of condensation was affected.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 06:39:53 PM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3338 on: July 14, 2023, 07:16:54 PM »

7)   Water vapour will condense out of the atmosphere at a rate of 0.1 atm per year and increase the planet's Hydro Extent

8)   Each 1% of Hydro Extent requires 0.025 atm of water vapour. This means that creating 20% Hydro Extent would require 0.5 atm of water vapour (this will be much faster on smaller worlds because the speed at which water vapour atm is added is linked to surface area). With this in mind, existing water becomes an important factor in the speed at which terraforming can be accomplished, especially on larger worlds.

There were some changes in terraforming related to the eccentric orbits in 2.0+ but I don't think the rate of condensation was affected.

This post is also relevant from v2.0 changes list:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg155204;topicseen#msg155204

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3339 on: July 15, 2023, 10:51:30 AM »

This post is also relevant from v2.0 changes list:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=12523.msg155204;topicseen#msg155204

Thank you to both of you!  This explains why one of my colonies now has a hydrographic percentage of 102.6%.  I just pumped water vapor in till I got to the zero-colony-cost level, not realizing that it would precipitate out and over-fill the planet.  Oops. 

There is certainly lots to learn in Aurora for me!  It is exciting, though!  I'm determined to get the nuances of the ground combat system worked out, but it is slow going.  I'm having fun working it out, though.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3340 on: July 16, 2023, 05:06:36 PM »
You recreated Waterworld. Now you just need mutant Kevin Costner there!

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3341 on: August 03, 2023, 11:01:03 AM »
I may be rehashing an old issue, and if so, sorry about that.  Having said that, you can have negative water vapor levels during terraforming?

Please note - I am not complaining below.  I'm going through my understanding of how terraforming works.  It only sounds like complaining  ;D

I have discovered that terraforming is much more complex than it used to be.  Just taking into account orbital eccentricity is vital, and something I completely discounted when I started this campaign.  In addition to eccentricity, water percentage and water vapor issues are probably the biggest noticeable change.  Needing to pump water vapor into the atmosphere, then have it precipitate out to create a hydrographic percentage, makes the entire process more complicated and time consuming, as the precipitation takes time, and the water vapor alters the atmosphere's greenhouse effect, if I'm getting this right.  That means that you can't finalize the planet's temp while there is water vapor in the atmosphere, because the precipitation will alter the atmosphere's greenhouse effects, altering the temp. 

I noticed the negative atmospheric water vapor percentage recently while trying to remove the last bit of water vapor from an atmosphere where I didn't need it any more because the hydro percentage had been raised to the zero cost level.  I forgot, as usual, and let it go a bit too long before I realized I hadn't gotten a warning in the event log noting that all of the atmosphere component had been removed, as I would have if I was removing something like chlorine or fluorine.  When I checked, I had -.0156 atmospheres of water vapor.  I guess that means I can reduce a planet's hydro percentage by inducing negative levels of atmospheric water vapor?

Something else I have noticed is that the precipitation process seems to cause massive temperature swings.  I haven't documented this, but I will next time I encounter this.  In this case I was terraforming a planet that originally had temps in the 280 degree range.  I first pumped a bunch of Frigusium to reduce the temp, then some water vapor to get the precipitation process going, then some oxygen.  I got the temp down under a 100 before putting the water vapor in.  Over time, as the water vapor precipitated out, I noticed radical temperature swings, sometimes back up to over 200 degrees.  Very strange.  I had other things going on that I was paying attention to, so as I said, I didn't document this.  I'm sure its all down to the interaction of the numerous variables Steve has set up for atmospheric effects. 

Kurt

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3342 on: August 03, 2023, 01:36:10 PM »
iirc, water vapor is a greenhouse gas so that might be modelled in the terraforming calculations
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 01:38:20 PM by Neophyte »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3343 on: August 03, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »
iirc, water vapor is a greenhouse gas so that might be modelled in the terraforming calculations

That's what I figured, but the temp swings seemed extreme. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3344 on: August 04, 2023, 03:29:12 AM »
I may be rehashing an old issue, and if so, sorry about that.  Having said that, you can have negative water vapor levels during terraforming?

Please note - I am not complaining below.  I'm going through my understanding of how terraforming works.  It only sounds like complaining  ;D

I have discovered that terraforming is much more complex than it used to be.  Just taking into account orbital eccentricity is vital, and something I completely discounted when I started this campaign.  In addition to eccentricity, water percentage and water vapor issues are probably the biggest noticeable change.  Needing to pump water vapor into the atmosphere, then have it precipitate out to create a hydrographic percentage, makes the entire process more complicated and time consuming, as the precipitation takes time, and the water vapor alters the atmosphere's greenhouse effect, if I'm getting this right.  That means that you can't finalize the planet's temp while there is water vapor in the atmosphere, because the precipitation will alter the atmosphere's greenhouse effects, altering the temp. 

I noticed the negative atmospheric water vapor percentage recently while trying to remove the last bit of water vapor from an atmosphere where I didn't need it any more because the hydro percentage had been raised to the zero cost level.  I forgot, as usual, and let it go a bit too long before I realized I hadn't gotten a warning in the event log noting that all of the atmosphere component had been removed, as I would have if I was removing something like chlorine or fluorine.  When I checked, I had -.0156 atmospheres of water vapor.  I guess that means I can reduce a planet's hydro percentage by inducing negative levels of atmospheric water vapor?

Something else I have noticed is that the precipitation process seems to cause massive temperature swings.  I haven't documented this, but I will next time I encounter this.  In this case I was terraforming a planet that originally had temps in the 280 degree range.  I first pumped a bunch of Frigusium to reduce the temp, then some water vapor to get the precipitation process going, then some oxygen.  I got the temp down under a 100 before putting the water vapor in.  Over time, as the water vapor precipitated out, I noticed radical temperature swings, sometimes back up to over 200 degrees.  Very strange.  I had other things going on that I was paying attention to, so as I said, I didn't document this.  I'm sure its all down to the interaction of the numerous variables Steve has set up for atmospheric effects. 

Kurt

Negative water vapour is a bug, so I will take a look at that.

Water vapour is a normal gas (in Aurora), rather than a greenhouse gas so it won't have a dramatic effect on the temperature. The only greenhouse gases are Aestusium, CO2, Methane, Sulphur Dioxide and Nitrogen Dioxide.

Albedo changes could also be affecting the temp if the water is freezing at some point in the orbit. Eccentricity can have a massive effect.

EDIT: Found the bug. It was a side effect of the change I made to avoid switching off removal of water vapour when it was reduced to zero, but there was still water on the planet
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 03:41:21 AM by Steve Walmsley »