Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358149 times)

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3615 on: January 01, 2024, 04:20:30 PM »
Where I get confused is on how to form the four battalions into regiments and the regiments into divisions and how to account for the necessary HQ capacity and logistics. Is the "regiment" a class in and of itself that needs to be designed and filled with HQ and logistics units that I then drag the battalions into once trained?

Short answer: Yes. It is also pretty common to have the regimental formation include artillery (in the form of bombardment units, LB or MB) and assign it to 'support' one of the battalions under its control. In that case, it usually would make the most sense to have the divisional formation handle the logistics elements.

Snip

Note that to handle logistics/resupply, there are two main options. One is to use LVH+LOG units in a higher-level formation, which will automatically resupply formations under the hierarchy. The other, which I show here, is to use INF+LOG-S units with a few in each combat formation and then a large reserve held in a rear echelon formation, which does not need to be in the same hierarchy, and use the Series/Replacement mechanic to keep the combat formations in supply.
Why use log-s? Doesn't normal logistics now provide about twice as much or something like that?
Also using log-s means you need to have space in the bottom level formations that could instead be more guns, even if only slightly

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3616 on: January 01, 2024, 04:29:21 PM »
Why use log-s? Doesn't normal logistics now provide about twice as much or something like that?
Also using log-s means you need to have space in the bottom level formations that could instead be more guns, even if only slightly

LOG are no longer available for INF units. This was a balance change I persuaded Steve to make, as originally LOG was simply 5x a LOG-S with no other distinction, which made LVH logistics blatantly inferior due to the additional cost from the LVH base class and the required level-2 armor for LVHs. By restricting LOG to LVH only and doubling its capacity, INF and LVH logistics are approximately balanced. INF logistics are moderately cheaper, while LVH logistics are more tonnage-efficient which makes them ideal for offensive purposes. I use one or both with no strong preference in practice, but here I wanted to illustrate the possibility of INF logistics since it is not as obvious to many players.

The following users thanked this post: captainwolfer

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #3617 on: January 03, 2024, 09:02:35 AM »
A general question about performance...

My latest game is relatively early on (55 years of game time) and I take my time with build-up and exploration. In addition to Sol, only five other systems have been surveyed, only two of which I have occupied with relatively modest colonies. All under 15,000,000 in population. Sol does have colonies on Luna and Mars that are fairly active and developed.  I have an embarrassingly small Navy. Only three small wings of patrol vessels that I use for security and very small numbers of freight, colonial and troop transports, as well as small numbers of survey ships. there is only one station that I use for jump point stabilization.  No terraforming and a very small Garrison force of a single division made up of four 25,000 ton regiments.  There is a reasonable amount of civilian traffic, which I largely rely on for setting up and supporting colonies.

Despite what I would describe as nominal operations compared to what I see others building and running, my game is slowing to a crawl. Five-day turns take seconds sometimes to process and it is becoming difficult to play. I run Aurora on my mid-range system, a 12th generation i9 with a 3080TI and 64 GB of Ram. I run things like DCS in VR and Cyberpunk 2077 on this rig with no hitch, but Aurora is bringing it down to its knees. What could be causing this and is there anything I can do about it?

As always, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:05:33 AM by Jarhead0331 »

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3618 on: January 03, 2024, 10:05:10 AM »
Your video card doesn’t matter, because Aurora doesn’t use it. Aurora doesn’t use 64 GB of ram, so that doesn’t help either.

Population of your colonies doesn’t matter, because it is just a number that is multiplied by other numbers. High population or low, the amount of math that gets done is the same. Terraforming and garrison forces are the same. All that really matters for performance is the total number of ships in motion. Even civilian ships have to do sensor checks every time they move, and the NPRs have civilian ships too.

It also doesn’t sound like it has gotten too bad yet, if the 5–day turns are only taking a couple of seconds.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3619 on: January 03, 2024, 10:54:18 AM »
Do ship-deployed decoys attract individual missiles or entire missile salvos? I designed a size 20 decoy for my 30k cruiser and put 24 of them on the design. After building the ship I found out each decoy costs 80. My anti-ship missile costs 4.5. It takes forever to make these and it doesn't make much sense to spend so much on a decoy that will get blown up by a single missile. If it negates a whole salvo of leakers though, pretty good. ;D

Offline Ragnarsson

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #3620 on: January 03, 2024, 11:34:17 AM »
A general question about performance...

[...]
There is a reasonable amount of civilian traffic, which I largely rely on for setting up and supporting colonies.
[...]
It's the civilian traffic. Experiment with it; open up your save, delete the civilian shipping lines entirely, then see the difference. You may not want to play that way entirely, so don't save unless you do, but at the very least you can... prune the civilian lines every now and then. It can make a significant difference.

The following users thanked this post: Jarhead0331

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3621 on: January 03, 2024, 11:37:29 AM »
Do ship-deployed decoys attract individual missiles or entire missile salvos? I designed a size 20 decoy for my 30k cruiser and put 24 of them on the design. After building the ship I found out each decoy costs 80. My anti-ship missile costs 4.5. It takes forever to make these and it doesn't make much sense to spend so much on a decoy that will get blown up by a single missile. If it negates a whole salvo of leakers though, pretty good. ;D

From Steve dev post here
Any missiles that survive CIWS and successfully roll their Chance to Hit will be checked to see if they hit the Ship or one of the Decoy Missiles. The chance to hit the ship is equal to: Size Ship in Tons / (Ship Size in Tons + Total Signature of All Decoys). Multiple warhead missiles will check each warhead independently.
So long story short a decoy will distract some fraction of incoming missiles, the idea is to use these to blunt the edge of big salvos like you see from box launcher-based fleets.

The following users thanked this post: Jarhead0331

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3622 on: January 03, 2024, 12:32:23 PM »

From Steve dev post here

Yes, I remember reading that and being confused about this. The wording says that each missile will be checked individually as to whether it hits the decoy or the ship, which makes me think that if one of them hits the decoy, then it cannot attract any others from the same attack. So for instance, if missiles 1 through 8 miss and the 9th hits, then missiles 10 to 17 cannot be decoyed by that specific decoy anymore. Is that how it works?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3623 on: January 03, 2024, 01:26:17 PM »

From Steve dev post here

Yes, I remember reading that and being confused about this. The wording says that each missile will be checked individually as to whether it hits the decoy or the ship, which makes me think that if one of them hits the decoy, then it cannot attract any others from the same attack. So for instance, if missiles 1 through 8 miss and the 9th hits, then missiles 10 to 17 cannot be decoyed by that specific decoy anymore. Is that how it works?

Read a couple paragraphs down:
At the end of the missile movement phase, all Decoy Missiles will be removed.
So Decoy Missiles are not destroyed by missiles that "hit" a decoy. They distract however many missiles and are removed from play. Additionally, if you're familiar with the mechanics around missiles, hits are allocated before damage is dealt so even if the missiles destroyed the decoy, the decoy would not be destroyed until after the final targets of all missiles were determined.

We can also think logically about this... why would Steve add decoys that can only distract one missile? The numbers make that completely silly and useless as you said yourself.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3624 on: January 03, 2024, 10:26:09 PM »

From Steve dev post here
Any missiles that survive CIWS and successfully roll their Chance to Hit will be checked to see if they hit the Ship or one of the Decoy Missiles. The chance to hit the ship is equal to: Size Ship in Tons / (Ship Size in Tons + Total Signature of All Decoys). Multiple warhead missiles will check each warhead independently.
So long story short a decoy will distract some fraction of incoming missiles, the idea is to use these to blunt the edge of big salvos like you see from box launcher-based fleets.
Another implication is that decoys are for sturdy ships. They kick in after every defense that can cut the incoming all the way down to zero, so if your decoys are helping, you are still getting hit. Likely you're getting hit quite a lot if it's worth firing the decoys! Bring armor or shields accordingly.

Offline shock

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3625 on: January 03, 2024, 11:13:39 PM »
what causes a hit chance of 0, leading to weapons not firing?

Ran into some star swarm but i can't hit them. 

railguns
range 0, fleets ontop of each other
BCF 15000 speed
ship speed 17000
enemy speed 14000

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3626 on: January 03, 2024, 11:54:41 PM »
*snip

Another implication is that decoys are for sturdy ships. They kick in after every defense that can cut the incoming all the way down to zero, so if your decoys are helping, you are still getting hit. Likely you're getting hit quite a lot if it's worth firing the decoys! Bring armor or shields accordingly.

Makes sense; decoys would be most useful against overwhelming attacks that produce a lot of leakers so that they may prevent a percentage of those leakers from impacting the ship. But if there are multiple such leaking salvos, you will quickly find yourself vulnerable (perhaps even after just the first one). I'm thinking it's best to use a few large decoys rather than many smaller ones, due to the way decoy launch thresholds are determined. Is this so?

Edit: Ah, there has already been a discussion about this. Indeed, it is so:
https://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13098.msg164901#msg164901
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 12:30:23 AM by Xkill »

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3627 on: January 04, 2024, 08:19:08 AM »
Seriously new player question alert -

If I can ship infrastructure to a planet, transport mines and construction factories too and kickstart the mineral production been fired back to earth - why do I need to terraform a planet?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3628 on: January 04, 2024, 08:21:15 AM »
what causes a hit chance of 0, leading to weapons not firing?

Ran into some star swarm but i can't hit them. 

railguns
range 0, fleets ontop of each other
BCF 15000 speed
ship speed 17000
enemy speed 14000

Are they detected by active sensors?

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3629 on: January 04, 2024, 08:29:45 AM »
I can't seem to use "create race" in the system generation window to make an NPR - I can create a player race no problem, but if I check the NPR box nothing happens when I try to finish the process.  (I've just downloaded 2.5, if there is something new in that update)