Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358167 times)

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3780 on: February 29, 2024, 07:47:05 AM »
yeah, i dont have that - all the salvage ships show a certain amount of tonnage salvaged, and anything found from alien wrecks was auto uploaded from the site - so i cant tell if the total salvaged is a record of how much the ship has salvaged or its actually on the ship somewhere, but clicking on earth gives me no unload options

Does the salvage ship have cargo capacity? You need somewhere to put the stuff you salvaged - either on the ship itself, or (I believe this still works) a freighter that's in the same fleet.

Here's what one of my salvagers looks like:
Code: [Select]
Grogor class Salvager      33,000 tons       174 Crew       569 BP       TCS 660    TH 1,200    EM 0
1818 km/s      Armour 1-91       Shields 0-0       HTK 53      Sensors 8/8/0/0      DCR 1-0      PPV 0
MSP 10    Max Repair 200 MSP
Cargo 6,500   
Knight    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Salvager: 1 module(s) capable of salvaging 500 tons per day

Miserly Commercial Magneto-plasma Drive  EP240.00 (5)    Power 1200    Fuel Use 0.64%    Signature 240    Explosion 2%
Fuel Capacity 586,000 Litres    Range 501 billion km (3189 days at full power)

Thermal Sensor TH1.0-8.0 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km
EM Sensor EM1.0-8.0 (1)     Sensitivity 8     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  22.4m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Salvager for auto-assignment purposes

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3781 on: February 29, 2024, 08:44:03 AM »
Might have to chalk that up to experience, or inexperience!!

Didn’t have cargo space - I SM’d some onto on of the salvagers and I still can’t get the salvage counter to go down - I’m guessing that might be a service record display and the actual cargo has gone into spaaaaaaaaace

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3782 on: February 29, 2024, 11:32:46 AM »
I've decided to add a new player race to my game and build it up to the point where it is a genuine threat to my main empire. I will then let them meet and let them have a nice gentle war of species survival. I haven't added a race in a very long time and don't know where the functions are to add a new player race. Can anyone prvide a quick synopsis or point me at another thread that explains what to do. The one thing I remember from the last time was that my original race had knowledge of the new race's home system (because of the way I'd created the new race) and I couldn't find a way to make my original race 'forget' about the new system.

Following up on this, I've finally realised race creation is on the system generation and display page. What I can't work out is how make my original race not have knowledge of the existence of the new system I create to place my new race in.

Welchbloke
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:45:51 PM by welchbloke »
Welchbloke

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3783 on: February 29, 2024, 04:29:20 PM »
Might have to chalk that up to experience, or inexperience!!

Didn’t have cargo space - I SM’d some onto on of the salvagers and I still can’t get the salvage counter to go down - I’m guessing that might be a service record display and the actual cargo has gone into spaaaaaaaaace
Yes, the game does not stop you from 'wasting' salvage if you run out of cargo space or, like in your case, have none to begin with. So whatever you salvaged before is gone but at least now you know and knowing is half the battle.

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3784 on: February 29, 2024, 04:39:22 PM »
Following up on this, I've finally realised race creation is on the system generation and display page. What I can't work out is how make my original race not have knowledge of the existence of the new system I create to place my new race in.

Welchbloke
AFAIK, that is not possible in-game currently, because you obviously cannot delete the system. People use a special SM-race at game creation to do this sort of stuff, which means that only the SM-race knows all the systems, the other races only know their home system. But if you don't have a SM-race, then you're out of luck.

I have a few questions for you fine connoisseurs of the game!

I see it's not possible to make NPRs start as pre-TN. Too bad, and I guess it's because the additional code necessary for the transition would be too much work for the reward. In your mind (and I know I'm somehow comparing apples and oranges here), what would be the rough ratio of power (economic and research) between a non-TN and a TN so that the non-TN can catch up within 10 years with the TN. I would be the non-TN starting on Earth, with several other power blocks starting as TN on Earth too, so I prefer to err on the safe side and be too weak rather than too strong.
Let's say, if I start with 1600 CI and 16 RL, at 35% research speed, what should I give to the starting TN so they are not overpowering and I'm able to catch up with them within 10 years?

For the second question, in the same setting, if several races start in the same system and each has several bases in the same system, including on the same planet, what should I expect relations-wise when the truce period is over? A slow degradation of relationships? A fast one, immediate war? Everything is open, including staying friends?

Lastly, is it possible to make 2 NPRs like or dislike each other from the start, so that their relation evolves naturally either to alliance or war? That's to create some 'alignments' between different power blocks, and I would prefer not to see China befriend the USA against the EU, etc.
That last bit is easiest - you cannot use SM to edit NPRs so unfortunately setting relations like that is impossible. The most common thing that will happen after the truce is nuclear war in few months but some people have reported that they were able to maintain peace with some of the NPRs. So really, it's either world peace, world war or some combination of peace and war depending on the number of NPRs. Do remember that an NPR will not hesitate to nuke Earth during a war so the risk of early game ending for your campaign is high. As for the size and difficulty settings for your own race, the only things that matter are the difficulty percentage and your starting population as the NPR creation is scaled based on those two factors. But there is still enough of a random element that it is difficult to predict what will be created.

But dude, from your explanation, it seems that you are looking to make a pretty detailed campaign with diplomacy and other stuff that is almost impossible with NPRs. It is extremely unlikely that they will play in a manner that would fit your story. I'd recommend doing multiple player races instead of NPRs but of course, that means that you would have to play all of them yourself. Whichever way you end up going, please keep us updated!

The following users thanked this post: welchbloke, vorpal+5

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3785 on: February 29, 2024, 06:02:50 PM »
I have found a planet with over one hundred million minerals in at least 5 of the range - but gravity is too high to step on the planet

Is the best solution to just throw endless automines at the place

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3786 on: February 29, 2024, 06:04:22 PM »
I have found a planet with over one hundred million minerals in at least 5 of the range - but gravity is too high to step on the planet

The other option is Ark modules.

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3787 on: February 29, 2024, 08:30:29 PM »

Or genemod your race with higher gravity tolerance.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3788 on: February 29, 2024, 10:09:39 PM »

While it may well be worth mining, note that past a certain point reserves are much less important than accessibility.

I'd much rather find 1 million at accessibility 1.0 than 100 million at accessibility 0.1

The following users thanked this post: undercovergeek

Offline undercovergeek

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • u
« Reply #3789 on: March 01, 2024, 01:25:18 AM »

While it may well be worth mining, note that past a certain point reserves are much less important than accessibility.

I'd much rather find 1 million at accessibility 1.0 than 100 million at accessibility 0.1

Indeed - they are all between .7 and .9

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3790 on: March 01, 2024, 01:40:13 AM »

Welchbloke
AFAIK, that is not possible in-game currently, because you obviously cannot delete the system. People use a special SM-race at game creation to do this sort of stuff, which means that only the SM-race knows all the systems, the other races only know their home system. But if you don't have a SM-race, then you're out of luck.

Thanks, the SM race seems the obvious answer for future campaigns. I finalised realised what I was looking for was a VB6 Aurora feature called 'Forget System' which did what it said on the tin and removed knwoledge of the system for that race. Fortunately, I realised there was a way to modify the DB to remove the other race's knowledge of the system. Now all I need to do is expand the new empire using SM to make is a mature multi-system empire with good technology and a bad attitude - shouldn't take long  ;)

Welchbloke
Welchbloke

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #3791 on: March 02, 2024, 05:58:55 AM »
I just noticed that you can do this with magazines:

If I use Duranium Armor, I can have a -4 magazine, which is essentially a dull bulkhead type module of size 1HS but with 10HTK.
You can play with numbers and get it to -1mag as well, but then the HS:HTK ratio won't be as prodigious.

Has someone tried if this works? They shouldn't be able to explode, since nothing can be in them, right?
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3792 on: March 03, 2024, 04:51:18 AM »
What's the solution to not having most windows truncated, even on a large computer screen? I don't want to maximize each window really.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:53:03 AM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3793 on: March 03, 2024, 08:51:39 AM »
What's the solution to not having most windows truncated, even on a large computer screen? I don't want to maximize each window really.

Most of those windows usually have a button labelled "wide view" or something which, although still might not show the entire width of the window (like on the system view) will at least manage to not look super truncated.
Those buttons should be on the bottom of the window but your screenshot looks weird, the area where the buttons are seems to also be truncated which I don't think should be possible unless windows are being resized.

Offline paolot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #3794 on: March 03, 2024, 09:28:18 AM »
@vorpal
Do your Windows settings enlarge/magnify screen (larger than 100%)?
You can check this, and if so, you should set it back at 100% to revert Aurora windows to correct sizing. You will loose the "good" viewing for the rest of the programs you use, anyway.