Author Topic: Comments Thread  (Read 10466 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Comments Thread
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Please post any comments in this thread

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
Re: Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
So, I read the setup and it's relly brutal XD.

Will you actually bother with converting everything to TN tech, or not?
I imagine not, as you need to start building infrastructure as soon as possible...

At what rate can you build infra? Do you have some stockpiles of duranium even?
Then again, if you don't have enough stockpiles, I guess you are forced to convert anyway, to get mines which can net you more duranium...

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
So, I read the setup and it's relly brutal XD.

Will you actually bother with converting everything to TN tech, or not?
I imagine not, as you need to start building infrastructure as soon as possible...

At what rate can you build infra? Do you have some stockpiles of duranium even?
Then again, if you don't have enough stockpiles, I guess you are forced to convert anyway, to get mines which can net you more duranium...

I think I am going to avoid infrastructure in the short term and accept the casualties. Dust settles at 250 per year so the temperature will start to recover at 2.5C per year. I think converting factories now will save more lives in the long run than building limited amounts of infrastructure. Eventually, I will wish I had the dust back :)

I suspect the 25% research rate is going to damage me more in the long-term. I certainly can't afford to be spending time on weapons and there are 3 NPRs and all spoilers out there. This could easily be a losing campaign, but I'll see what happens :)

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
I think I am going to avoid infrastructure in the short term and accept the casualties. Dust settles at 250 per year so the temperature will start to recover at 2.5C per year. I think converting factories now will save more lives in the long run than building limited amounts of infrastructure. Eventually, I will wish I had the dust back :)

I suspect the 25% research rate is going to damage me more in the long-term. I certainly can't afford to be spending time on weapons and there are 3 NPRs and all spoilers out there. This could easily be a losing campaign, but I'll see what happens :)

Obligatory link  ;D
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Losing

I derped pretty hard, forgetting that dust would settle relatively fast. I guess you'll be converting only into factories and mines at least for the first few years.

What is your plan for evacuation? Try to explore nearby systems in hope of finding low colony cost worlds? Use infrastructure/orbital habitats and move the population to mars or similar? A mix of the two seems best, but I question what use nearby systems would be. I mean, you have very little time, and at low tech your ships will be very slow. You might find a low cost world, but say it's 5 billions km away...  the travel time would be significant, so maybe it would be best to plan to colonize a planet in the solar system.
Mars seems the best best as the moon will too go boom very soon...

Terraforming does not really seem feasible in such a short timeframe and with only 25% research.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »
I plan to explore and hope to find something relatively close. Otherwise Mars or even Mercury are the immediate options. One thing I hadn't considered is unrest due to overcrowding. Earth is now colony cost 0.7 so needs infrastructure. Ten days in and political stability is already 98.6% :)

I guess I need to build some cheap security troops very quickly.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:24:05 PM »
something highly non-newtonian has happened to terra's orbit.  cambridge, you got some splainin' to do.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Online db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
That sounds like a fun campaign, so don't take this the wrong way. I just have to point out that no impact can cause an object in orbit to spiral in to its doom. An impact could certainly change the orbit from one ellipse to another, but making an object take a spiral path requires a continuous thrust on the object rather than a single impulse.

Perhaps the "asteroid" was actually a disguise for a giant reactionless drive that is now embedded in Earth's crust, slowly pushing the Earth to its doom. On the other hand, anything that kicked up that much dust in an impact should have been completely vaporized. On the gripping hand, trans-newtonian tech.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
Is there a way to add dust to a planet or did you fire a bunch of missiles at earth as part of setup?

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 10:19:21 PM »
He is the dev, so could do it from within the code  ;)

I'm interested by a few details here, as I'm faced with related questions in a RPG campaign I'm writing (a true, pen&paper campaign), with Aurora has the planned assistant for the global situation.

-- 1 --
What is the formula used for dust settling up? It seems 'nuclear winter' recovery is a fast process, from what I read (I mean, certainly not fast for the people dying from cold, but in a generation, dust has settled much I think)

-- 2 --
Temperature drop. How it works, compared to dust generation, I don't think it was published in the C# mechanics.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 04:55:52 AM »
Is there a way to add dust to a planet or did you fire a bunch of missiles at earth as part of setup?

You can modify dust and radiation in 1.12. They are new fields on the Modify Body window.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 04:56:58 AM »
That sounds like a fun campaign, so don't take this the wrong way. I just have to point out that no impact can cause an object in orbit to spiral in to its doom. An impact could certainly change the orbit from one ellipse to another, but making an object take a spiral path requires a continuous thrust on the object rather than a single impulse.

Perhaps the "asteroid" was actually a disguise for a giant reactionless drive that is now embedded in Earth's crust, slowly pushing the Earth to its doom. On the other hand, anything that kicked up that much dust in an impact should have been completely vaporized. On the gripping hand, trans-newtonian tech.

Yes, I know. In this case I am going for Hollywood instead of realism :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 05:01:33 AM »
He is the dev, so could do it from within the code  ;)

I'm interested by a few details here, as I'm faced with related questions in a RPG campaign I'm writing (a true, pen&paper campaign), with Aurora has the planned assistant for the global situation.

-- 1 --
What is the formula used for dust settling up? It seems 'nuclear winter' recovery is a fast process, from what I read (I mean, certainly not fast for the people dying from cold, but in a generation, dust has settled much I think)

-- 2 --
Temperature drop. How it works, compared to dust generation, I don't think it was published in the C# mechanics.

Dust falls by 250 a year, so in this case it will take 16 years for it to settle. Radiation falls by 100 per year.

Temperature is reduced by 1 degree for every 100 dust. 4000 dust (-40C) was the maximum I could do without the oceans freezing, at which point Albedo changes and the temperature drops a further 30+ degrees. At -60C, more than half the population would die per year.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 05:13:02 AM »
Actually Steve, what about civilians?

With the whole: "we're doomed, and we have an emergency world government that can do anything it wants" situation, they don't really make much sense here.

"Yeah, we're not going to ferry your installations unless you pay us" doesn't really make sense. Nor it makes sense for civilians to be allowed to mine TN materials and sell them to the civilian markets. Not with this situation.

Will you turn them off? Roleplay them as being state subsidized? Or... as them being criminal operations? I'm very curious about this  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:18:02 AM by Zincat »

Offline Corvus

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
How does Luna work in this situation?  Does it spiral in with Earth or does it become detached?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 11:03:39 AM »
How does Luna work in this situation?  Does it spiral in with Earth or does it become detached?

Luna continues to orbit Earth.