Author Topic: Aurora Government Simulator  (Read 26834 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Aurora Government Simulator
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 01:23:57 AM »
Yep, that's correct. Just Zoom in.

I have attached a screen so you can see that once zoomed in you don't see the sides, just don't mind that is different as I run a custom version of the file while the one I release is for the public release.

The following users thanked this post: Titus Groen

Offline Titus Groen

• Leading Rate
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2021, 02:32:23 AM »
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=11908. msg149806#msg149806 date=1615706637
Yep, that's correct.  Just Zoom in.

I have attached a screen so you can see that once zoomed in you don't see the sides, just don't mind that is different as I run a custom version of the file while the one I release is for the public release.

Thanks! And thanks for making this!

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »
Looks really cool. Question: what does "expand if this is your current government type" mean for the various rows. Does that affect calculations at all? And how do I do that

EDIT: I also don't know how to, for example, do a constitutional restructure vote. Pressing F9 only runs the main election.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:27:11 PM by Vivalas »

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2021, 02:08:47 PM »
Looks really cool. Question: what does "expand if this is your current government type" mean for the various rows. Does that affect calculations at all? And how do I do that

EDIT: I also don't know how to, for example, do a constitutional restructure vote. Pressing F9 only runs the main election.

Those are the sections where you have more options. The top part is the general election and data entry while in the expanded sections there are more specific options for the government type.

For instance you will find the motions vote system under democracy or the whole council/board UI for Oligarchies.

Offline Vivalas

• V
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2021, 03:00:33 PM »

Those are the sections where you have more options. The top part is the general election and data entry while in the expanded sections there are more specific options for the government type.

For instance you will find the motions vote system under democracy or the whole council/board UI for Oligarchies.

I see, maybe I'm doing something wrong but they already all seem to be expanded. Is pressing F9 for restructure vote supposed to do something or no?

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2021, 03:18:56 PM »

I see, maybe I'm doing something wrong but they already all seem to be expanded. Is pressing F9 for restructure vote supposed to do something or no?

Are the conditions met? Restructure is possible only under specific circumstances.

Offline Vivalas

• V
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »
Ah, no, it's not. I was just pressing F9 to test the vote. I thought it was also used for constitutional modifications after the "free" one but I suppose that is more of an RP thing.

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2021, 08:06:49 PM »
I suppose that is more of an RP thing.

You are correct

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
Just so you guys know, I am into a massive restructure and revisit of this file (5.3 and counting)

A lot of the systems have been introduced and made available for all government forms. I will most likely post it in a new page as the final result is quite impressive and very different from the previous file.

The thing that took me long was obviously try the file more. I've found out that was easy to go under a similar structure and end up in a loop if not careful: peaceful government, more balanced federalism, psychotic military hegemony, peaceful government again. There are now then more tools to keep your society under a more rigid structure that will take several years (if not decades) for the wind to shift.

Also the use of multiple sheets (each government will have one to keep calculations under the hood) will allow to get the main UI more tidy and simpler (maybe) to use without the need of scrolling up and down. The UI will change when a government is selected like partially does now.

The main issue so far was Libre Office. Every time there is an update or somebody uses a different version the risk of losing sync between data is extremely high. In the past I have limited this removing many of the graphics aids such graphs, pictures, etc. I always hated that part though so I was thinking to switch to a new editor. When I tried to port all into excel was a disaster as some functions are different/not present so this is the only hold up currently. I have been told to use google sheet but the amount of missing functions there as well forced me to use 3 different lines of code for the same operation and honestly the amount of mistakes that could occur are so high that I gave up right away.

So as son as I made up my mind I may go for a soft release with only 1 form of government and perhaps then release the full file.

Finally, I have looked into data catching from the DB but I have realized I don't have the time to commit to learn the code required to perform the action (without also considering that people would refrain to use a sheet file with macros in it) or it will require all to be ported on Java which I have zero knowledge of.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, skoormit

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
Aurora Government Simulator 2 (preview)
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2021, 04:25:12 AM »
I am getting there finally...I may need some ideas for more legislation I have 16 more I can add. Same for the Events, I could still fit an extra 5! Any ideas are welcome.

Particular attention has been put into modding the file. Everything is extremely clear and easy to find. You can have a look here:

The final result is the one below. All is tidy and on one unique screen. The new file is then easier to use, understand and, eventually, mod.

Current Status: Democracy and Republic are active. Moving into Oligarchies (Totalitarism, Monarchy, and Corporate) and Federation. UI is completed at 95%, only some graphics are missing. All formulas are ready and tested for a very long time so the balance will not be an issue at least not at the start as the last file. Ultimately, I am still deciding how to add the economic mechanics. I have scrapped entirely the automatism of the latest file as it was killing the RP part, but I still think the economy must play a role somehow.

The file will be released with an extensive tutorial this time as I understood that many may not follow an AAR (which will come still).

The following users thanked this post: Titus Groen, Vivalas, Warer

Offline Titus Groen

• Leading Rate
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2021, 11:09:13 PM »
Wow this looks fantastic!

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F