Author Topic: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)  (Read 44816 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Re: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2021, 12:18:09 AM »
Did you change anything with the auto-progress dialogue in V169? I all of a sudden have 5 to 40sec stops in my progress - which I thought should be auto-progressed. I checked the dialogue, and the option to turn that off is off; i.e. the dialog should do its magic.

Nope, shouldn't be any changes in that area.  The dialog only triggers in systems with no player presence (ie, either you haven't discovered the system yet or it says "No System Presence" in the F3 window), maybe that's the reason?

V169: Some messages in the log contain the abbreviation of the ship, others don't (like Overhaul complete), which only displays the ship name. Maybe you can unify this and always show abbreviation + ship name... .

These were designed to exactly match whether Aurora VB6 included the abbreviation.  The reason for this is I wrote a tool which compares a quasar4x database to an aurora database and prints out any discrepancies.  In many cases, such as XY coordinates, the comparisons are fuzzy, but when comparing event logs, it was lot easier to just code the event messages to be identical to VB6 in the first place then to write fuzzy comparisons for written language sentences.

So in general I'll be leaving these alone unless one of them specifically bothers me enough to make a change.

Offline trabber Shir

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2021, 12:30:18 AM »
The galaxy map's right click menu leaks information about populations you have not found yet. My ships have been exploded by my neighbor's missiles, but I was not even 100% sure they were precursors until I saw this, and I had not found their colonies. See attached screenshots.

That menu is also showing what I assume is the Precursor's name for the system. Note that on my galaxy map and system display it is called Edmonton, but that menu shows it having a population on "Denise-A IV - Moon 4"

Found on version 167, I see I missed an update or two, will download the new version and see if it persists.

Edit: Confirmed on build 169
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:45:37 AM by trabber Shir »

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline trabber Shir

• t
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2021, 01:06:22 AM »
And a related detail which may or may not be a bug: Based on the wrecks I can see in that system I suspect those two precursor colonies are different factions and at war with each other.

Occasionally they get into really big fights that make a 30 day turn last more than 10 real time minutes. The current 30 day turn I am processing has been the slowest at almost 3 days with every tick being a 5 second tick, if this continues it will take over an hour for these 30 days to process.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2021, 01:15:19 AM »
Did you change anything with the auto-progress dialogue in V169? I all of a sudden have 5 to 40sec stops in my progress - which I thought should be auto-progressed. I checked the dialogue, and the option to turn that off is off; i.e. the dialog should do its magic.

Nope, shouldn't be any changes in that area.  The dialog only triggers in systems with no player presence (ie, either you haven't discovered the system yet or it says "No System Presence" in the F3 window), maybe that's the reason?
Ah, I have a presence in that system ATM - so that is why  ;)

V169: The Checkbox for "Inc All" in the ground units tab doesn't seem to do anything.

Offline trabber Shir

• t
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2021, 03:50:54 AM »
New bug: Get infinite crewmen by abandoning a ship multiple times

Steps to reproduce:
1. On the "Individual Unit Details" screen, damage control tab, click the big red "Abandon Ship" button
2. Observe escape pods with the correct number of survivors
3. Click the button again
4. Observe another set of escape pods also with a full compliment of survivors
5. repeat step 3 until you have all the crew you wnat in the escape pods
6. Use the ship which you "abandoned" to rescu the escape pods.
7. Unload survivors on a colony

The abandoning and rescuing can be done in the same 5 second turn, and if you were already orbiting the colony then the drop off only takes 5 seconds as well.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2021, 04:12:21 AM »

Steps to reproduce:
1. On the "Individual Unit Details" screen, damage control tab, click the big red "Abandon Ship" button

The abandoning and rescuing can be done in the same 5 second turn, and if you were already orbiting the colony then the drop off only takes 5 seconds as well.
And this is how the clone army in Star Wars came about  ;) - A glitch in the Matrix...

The following users thanked this post: trabber Shir

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2021, 09:33:41 AM »
The galaxy map's right click menu leaks information about populations you have not found yet. My ships have been exploded by my neighbor's missiles, but I was not even 100% sure they were precursors until I saw this, and I had not found their colonies. See attached screenshots.

That menu is also showing what I assume is the Precursor's name for the system. Note that on my galaxy map and system display it is called Edmonton, but that menu shows it having a population on "Denise-A IV - Moon 4"

Found on version 167, I see I missed an update or two, will download the new version and see if it persists.

Edit: Confirmed on build 169

Fixed for v170

And a related detail which may or may not be a bug: Based on the wrecks I can see in that system I suspect those two precursor colonies are different factions and at war with each other.

Occasionally they get into really big fights that make a 30 day turn last more than 10 real time minutes. The current 30 day turn I am processing has been the slowest at almost 3 days with every tick being a 5 second tick, if this continues it will take over an hour for these 30 days to process.

Maybe it's an NPR empire?  (It could also be star swarm, but that would be pretty obvious from the wrecks if you know anything about swarm)  Feel free to post the DB if you want me to take a look.

V169: The Checkbox for "Inc All" in the ground units tab doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you mean 'Inc Sub' ?  If so, I just tested it and it works for me.  Maybe not enough room in the PDC for the HQ and all its subordinates?

Steps to reproduce:

Short story: Fixed for v170

Long story: My fix is to set the number of crew to 0 on the ship after abandoning it.  Crew Grade Points and Task Force training will be reset to 0 as well.  This is going to have the unrealistic effect of a ship that is still fully operational with 0 crew members remaining.  A complete lack of crew is still treated as plain ol' undermanning, and the only downside to that is a steady drop in morale -- yes, morale of a non-existant crew.  So, I suppose operating the ship with 0 crew is debatably still "cheating at solitaire," but in my opinion it's a lot less absurd than infinite crew.

In VB6, abandoning creates a wreck.  But that can already be accomplished by applying lethal damage to the ship.  I wanted to add new storyline possibilities of abandoning a ship in a safe and orderly fashion, leaving behind a fully functional but derelict ship in space, claimable by others via boarding.  A lot more backstory to this can be found in my post here.  I did make one mistake in that post, which was to say that abandoning a ship in VB6 deletes the ship without leaving a wreck.  It does leave a wreck, I just forgot to click Refresh All. 

My reasoning for the change still stands though; I think Quasars' implementation of Abandon Ship adds RP possibilities, and VB6's implementation can still be achieved by first Abandon Ship then applying lethal damage to the ship to create a wreck.  For now, I'll leave it up to the player to decide which version they want to do. If the 0-crew ship leads to further bugs or weirdness I can always just switch it back to the VB6 implementation.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »
Do you mean 'Inc Sub' ?  If so, I just tested it and it works for me.  Maybe not enough room in the PDC for the HQ and all its subordinates?
That's the one I meant. Sorry. And I wanted to transfer to another population - and that doesn't work. PDC, yes, Population, no.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »
That's the one I meant. Sorry. And I wanted to transfer to another population - and that doesn't work. PDC, yes, Population, no.
Still works for me, transferring them back to the population.  If you mean transferring troops to a population on another system body, you have to use a troop transport ship.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »
Still works for me, transferring them back to the population.  If you mean transferring troops to a population on another system body, you have to use a troop transport ship.
Well, technically right. But you can transfer one unit in this menu - so I thought it would make sense if all subunits would be auto transferred as well, if I turn that option on, instead of having to do it manually for each.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
I created an orbital mining ship like this:

Code: [Select]
Martin Rees Mk.3 class Mineral Harvester    180 000 tons     1485 Crew     4723 BP      TCS 3600  TH 2400  EM 0
660 km/s     Armor 1-283     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 16    Max Repair 120 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20
Asteroid Miner: 25 modules producing 350 tons per mineral per annum

Dodd Dynamics C300.0 EP Engine TR:75% (8)    Power 300    Fuel Use 5.3%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 5 750 000 Liters    Range 108.4 billion km   (1882 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Moved it to a colony (not to the planet but the colony) where it is recognized as orbital mining modules; but no mining is happening. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Did the mining only work on asteroids? It is a moon with a diameter of 360km... .

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2021, 09:21:19 PM »
I created an orbital mining ship like this:

Code: [Select]
Martin Rees Mk.3 class Mineral Harvester    180 000 tons     1485 Crew     4723 BP      TCS 3600  TH 2400  EM 0
660 km/s     Armor 1-283     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 16    Max Repair 120 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 2
Cargo 25000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 20
Asteroid Miner: 25 modules producing 350 tons per mineral per annum

Dodd Dynamics C300.0 EP Engine TR:75% (8)    Power 300    Fuel Use 5.3%    Signature 300    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 5 750 000 Liters    Range 108.4 billion km   (1882 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Moved it to a colony (not to the planet but the colony) where it is recognized as orbital mining modules; but no mining is happening. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Did the mining only work on asteroids? It is a moon with a diameter of 360km... .

Yep, mining modules only work on asteroids and comets.  Same as VB6.  I'll change the population window so it doesn't have the "25x Orb Mines" in this situation.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2021, 11:09:18 PM »
Version 170:
 -- Currently designing a fightercraft and it has 4 crew, but six spare berths. Wanted to muck around with that to reduce it, maybe gain the 3 tons, but when I try to add Fighter Sized Crew Cabins it adds a Tiny one instead. I've got Keep Excess Q on, and in VB6 you could use that to manually add smaller ones that game simply rounded up over. With a 0.1 Deployment, it's not like I'm stocking much, lol.

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline trabber Shir

• t
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2021, 01:27:18 AM »

Maybe it's an NPR empire?  (It could also be star swarm, but that would be pretty obvious from the wrecks if you know anything about swarm)  Feel free to post the DB if you want me to take a look.

I am almost a total newbie, I know nothing about Star Swarms. Peeking at the races table in the database, it is a Star Swarm. Thank you.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2021, 03:51:43 AM »

I am almost a total newbie, I know nothing about Star Swarms. Peeking at the races table in the database, it is a Star Swarm. Thank you.

Oh fun!  Good luck dealing with that :)

Version 170:
 -- Currently designing a fightercraft and it has 4 crew, but six spare berths. Wanted to muck around with that to reduce it, maybe gain the 3 tons, but when I try to add Fighter Sized Crew Cabins it adds a Tiny one instead. I've got Keep Excess Q on, and in VB6 you could use that to manually add smaller ones that game simply rounded up over. With a 0.1 Deployment, it's not like I'm stocking much, lol.

Fixed for version 171.  Found and fixed a couple other rare issues with auto-crew-quarters as well.  Note, there is still one known issue:  A ship design cannot contain both tiny and fighter sized quarters.  Mainly because I got tired of messing with it, and I'm not too concerned with an occasional ~0.02 HS inefficiency.