Author Topic: Help a boarded vassel?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Jeltz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Help a boarded vassel?
« on: September 14, 2021, 04:52:05 AM »
Is it possible to bring help to a boarded vessel?

Background: One of my cruisers was attacked by a Warrior Swarm, which despite heavy losses during the approach managed to penetrate inside.

Could a transport of mine carrying troops support the cruiser's crew by docking and fighting with the crew to avoid losing the ship?

From the attempts made (design with cargo shuttle bay, troop transport bay ...) in fact it does not seem possible ..

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Help a boarded vassel?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:44:22 AM »
From what I remember none boarding capable soldiers in troop units are pretty much useless in boarding combat. If you have your own boarding troops onboard a ship I think they fight .
To get troops onboard the only way I think may work and it probably won't would be to use troops in boarding bays and I suspect they won't be able to board until the ship falls to the spoiler

This should also probably be in the spoiler forum

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
Where there is a troop transport bay on your attacked ship - you have an option to load some troops into this bay and so to help your crew to hold.
Yet it's poossible only if your troops are good enough in boarding action* to hold during every boarding combat round with those of them that you can fit into this troop bay in question. If they'll hold every combat turn, receiving fresh troops every time - swarm warrior pack will be chewed sooner or later.

* use inf. only, choose the best frontline combat formations
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:15:38 AM by serger »

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 09:14:23 AM »
I was in the same situation, you cannot board your own ships. You need to wait until the enemy captures it.

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 08:19:06 PM »
That would be a cool mechanic, allow your troops to board friendly vessels that need assistance.

Offline Jeltz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 03:47:09 AM »
That would be a cool mechanic, allow your troops to board friendly vessels that need assistance.

Yes, strange that @Steve didn't think about it ... the boarding mechanic isn't offset by defensive measures; one could think of a "service shuttle bay" component, for the docking of friendly units for various uses, units dedicated to internal defense and any related accommodation.

-J-

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 04:28:24 AM »
I have added to the suggestion list

The following users thanked this post: Jeltz

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 09:40:51 AM »
Yes, strange that @Steve didn't think about it ... the boarding mechanic isn't offset by defensive measures

It...is? Any friendly troops on board a vessel will defend it in boarding combat. It may not be the defensive measure we want, but it is a defensive measure we can take, even a 250t module of well-armed guards will repel most boarders pretty effectively.

The following users thanked this post: Jeltz