Author Topic: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition  (Read 70468 times)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: What's Going On In Your Empire: C# Edition
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »
It's national (non-commercial) yards, so you'll create jobs, you must pay for too. It's some sort of financial perpetuum mobile.

I always took the cost of the ships built to be this payment, though I admit that I have no idea if this actually comes out to a net cash sink on balance.

Shipbuilding is much costlier than the tax income generated by the workers.

Shipbuilding occurs at your shipbuilding rate, modified by a factor that increases with ship size (0.5 + Tons/10000).
For commercial ships, it's 0.5 + Tons/40000.
For a 5000 ton military ship, the factor = 1.
Starting racial rate is 400.

So, at the starting racial rate, building 5000-ton military ships or 20000-ton commercial ships costs 400 wealth per year.

A 5000-ton military shipyard needs 1250k workers. At the base tax rate, that's 125 wealth per year, resulting in a net cost (after tax income) of 275 wealth per year.
A 20000-ton commercial shipyard needs 500k workers. At the base tax rate, that's only 50 wealth per year, resulting in a net cost (after tax income) of 350 wealth per year.

Even small ships are a net deficit.
A theoretical size-0 ship has an annual build rate of 200.
To make that much in taxes, you need an 8000-ton military shipyard or an 80,000-ton commercial shipyard.

Both the build rate and the tax income increase linearly with ship size.

Each additional 1000 tons of military ship size increases the build rate by 40 per year.
Each additional 1000 tons of military yard size increases tax income by 25 wealth per year.

Each additional 1000 tons of commercial ship size increases the build rate by 10 per year.
Each additional 1000 tons of commercial yard size increases tax income by 2.5 wealth per year.

So, the bigger the ship, the bigger the gap between the rate of build cost and the rate of tax income.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Agraelgrimm, Droll, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
It's national (non-commercial) yards, so you'll create jobs, you must pay for too. It's some sort of financial perpetuum mobile.

I always took the cost of the ships built to be this payment, though I admit that I have no idea if this actually comes out to a net cash sink on balance.

Shipbuilding is much costlier than the tax income generated by the workers.

Shipbuilding occurs at your shipbuilding rate, modified by a factor that increases with ship size (0.5 + Tons/10000).
For commercial ships, it's 0.5 + Tons/40000.
For a 5000 ton military ship, the factor = 1.
Starting racial rate is 400.

So, at the starting racial rate, building 5000-ton military ships or 20000-ton commercial ships costs 400 wealth per year.

A 5000-ton military shipyard needs 1250k workers. At the base tax rate, that's 125 wealth per year, resulting in a net cost (after tax income) of 275 wealth per year.
A 20000-ton commercial shipyard needs 500k workers. At the base tax rate, that's only 50 wealth per year, resulting in a net cost (after tax income) of 350 wealth per year.

Even small ships are a net deficit.
A theoretical size-0 ship has an annual build rate of 200.
To make that much in taxes, you need an 8000-ton military shipyard or an 80,000-ton commercial shipyard.

Both the build rate and the tax income increase linearly with ship size.

Each additional 1000 tons of military ship size increases the build rate by 40 per year.
Each additional 1000 tons of military yard size increases tax income by 25 wealth per year.

Each additional 1000 tons of commercial ship size increases the build rate by 10 per year.
Each additional 1000 tons of commercial yard size increases tax income by 2.5 wealth per year.

So, the bigger the ship, the bigger the gap between the rate of build cost and the rate of tax income.

This post belongs in a wiki

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
2062-Jan-01

The excavation of the abandoned city on Abacus-A3 has propped up the empire's economy for nearly two decades.

For the ten years from 2052 through 2061, our average annual operational deficit (non-ruins income minus all expenditures) was 25% of operational income.
That is to say, we were spending each year 25% more wealth than we were generating with sustainable sources.
The wealth from the ruins allowed this pattern of overspending; on average, excavated wealth made up 21.5% of the 25% gap annually.

Nevertheless, our saved wealth balance has decreased by 24k over 10 years, to the present level of 69k.

In the year just ended, we spent a total of 101.6k wealth while generating 83.3k excluding excavations, for an operational deficit of 18.3k.

Abacus City will be fully excavated in another year and a half.
If the rate of wealth excavation meets the ten-year average, and our expenditures and sustainable income both rise at the anticipated 2.5% annual rate, we can expect, in a year and a half, to have a remaining wealth balance of ~63k and an annual operational deficit of about 19k.

In other words, with average excavation luck, our present wealth will last ~4.3 years from today.

So, today we begin taking drastic measures to rectify our budget deficit.
We have already established Babbit-A2, a colony focused on wealth generation, only 6.1bkm from Prime.
BabA2 has a present population of 33m operating 110 financial centers.
We need to add 420 fincens over the next 4 years.

The new centers will be built on Prime.
This effort will require 42.8% of Prime's industrial output.
The required 50kt of Corbomite is already on hand.

The new centers will require 21m new workers on BabA2.
To add that many workers to BabA2, we need to increase the population from 33m to 165m.
At present pop levels, BabA2 creates 2.5m pop per year, Prime creates 22.8m, and Cabbage-B1 (9.6bkm from BabA2) creates another 9.9.
That gives a combined total of 35.2m per year, which is more than enough to reach the 132m growth target over 4 years.
(As we move new pop from Prime and CabB1 to BabA2, the growth rate on the feeders will remain constant, while the growth rate on BabA2 will drop in percentage terms, but will rise in absolute terms. Therefore we can be certain that we will have enough new population in time.)

This population requires infrastructure.
At col cost 2.0, we will need 26.4k infra.
Building this infra on Prime over 4 years will require 44.7% of Prime's industrial output.
The needed Duranium is already on hand. We will need 10k Mercassium brought in, which is easy enough to source--we have that much on the ground already on AbaA3, and also among the asteroids in Cadbury, which are due for a mule run anyway.

We will need to move 105 fincens and 6.6k infra from Prime to BabA2 each year.
That's 765 standard holds making a 12.2bkm round trip, for a net 9333bkmholds.
Unfortunately, the freight capacity of our entire navy amounts to just over 6300, which means we will need to supplement with commercial shipping contracts.
The total tonnage of the commercial shipping lines is slightly higher than the total tonnage of empire-owned commercial ships, so we expect that they should be able to keep up with the demand.

Unfortunately, we probably do not have enough colonist shipping capacity.
Our total capacity is ~170bkmMpop, but we will need more than that just to handle Prime (278bkmMpop per year). The pop from CabB1 will require another 190bkmMpop.
Doubling our pop moving capacity would require at least 7 years without using industry to produce the components.
Using industry could reduce the time needed to 2 years, at a cost of 24.6k industrial capacity per year.
That's 83.3% of Prime's output. We simply don't have enough factories to do that while also building the fincens and the infrastructure.

Okay, I've reached the point where analysis fatigue is setting in.
Make this an eight year plan.
Cut production rate of fincens and infra by half.
Use the difference on ship components for colony ships.
That should roughly double colonist carrying capacity over 4 years, which will allow me to move all necessary pop by the end of year 8.
As a side benefit, I will be able to handle all freight shipping with owned ships, which saves me the cost of civilian contracts and keeps the shipping lines busy doing things that generate tax income.
In the meantime, I will keep an eye on the budget deficit after the ruins run dry. If I am headed for negative wealth territory, I will shift production on Prime back to FinCens, and just leave them on Prime to operate. They will make almost as much money there as on BabA2 (the only difference being the 15% Wealth Creation governor on BabA2).

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2021, 05:51:53 PM »
The main thing going on in my Empire is that I have one again. Due to the nefarious actions of nuclearslurpee, a thousand curses upon his name, I have been dragged back in despite thinking I was out. So the British Space Empire is back in business and developing inefficient ships that do not suit the current Aurora 'meta' but are nevertheless very characterful.

British scientists are currently investigating the potential to expand small-craft ECM beyond that which is considerer natural (i.e. modding) in order to make beam fighters a practical proposition. There will be Star Destroyers full of TIE-analogues and they will have a Union Jack on them.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2021, 10:18:38 PM »
There will be Star Destroyers full of TIE-analogues and they will have a Union Jack on them.

I make no apologies, not least for the poor quality of the work.  :P

The following users thanked this post: El Pip, BAGrimm, Gabrote42

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2021, 10:36:02 PM »
There will be Star Destroyers full of TIE-analogues and they will have a Union Jack on them.

This needs to be a hull image

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2021, 03:07:03 AM »
Why would you possibly apologise for that, it was wonderful. :D

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, Gabrote42

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »

Or how to make the "evil empire" that much more evil! (Sorry, couldnt resist! :D)

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2021, 11:14:05 PM »

I believe the point was just that you don’t have to build ships at every shipyard, but that in an emergency you can. In the mean time the workers are just “working” in the shipyard.

2062-Jan-01

The excavation of the abandoned city on Abacus-A3 has propped up the empire's economy for nearly two decades.

[…]

Unfortunately, we probably do not have enough colonist shipping capacity.
Our total capacity is ~170bkmMpop, but we will need more than that just to handle Prime (278bkmMpop per year). The pop from CabB1 will require another 190bkmMpop. Doubling our pop moving capacity would require at least 7 years without using industry to produce the components. Using industry could reduce the time needed to 2 years, at a cost of 24.6k industrial capacity per year.

That's 83.3% of Prime's output. We simply don't have enough factories to do that while also building the fincens and the infrastructure.

Okay, I've reached the point where analysis fatigue is setting in.
Make this an eight year plan.
Cut production rate of fincens and infra by half.
Use the difference on ship components for colony ships.
That should roughly double colonist carrying capacity over 4 years, which will allow me to move all necessary pop by the end of year 8.

Very nice analysis; I’ve never gone that deep into it, though I do optimize my freighters to improve bkmholds.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2021, 05:00:58 AM »
It turned out that my scout ship was stuck in a hostile aliens system. The way back was blocked by several enemy ships guarding the jump point.
The plan was as follows: The scout ship would fly up to the jump point (fortunately there were a few buoys with thermal detectors left in the area, most had been destroyed by the enemy). When the enemy detects it and follows it, a rescue fleet will jump into the system and engage the enemy ships.
The plan succeeded, the scout ship returned to safe space and the enemy ships retreated. It was not without cost, the enemy had the advantage in a number of ships. But my navy turned out on top.

Here's the fleet commander who led the mission (My most decorated officer):

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:22:26 AM by Kiero »

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »
So, I did find an asteroid which is curiously near (inside) the star. \'-'/
I imagine it to be an ideal world for those of you who are always cold:
At stunning 6234 °C it is hotter than the surface temperature of the star it orbits, I think.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
At stunning 6234 °C it is hotter than the surface temperature of the star it orbits, I think.

:o

BTW this is higher than the boiling point of every element and also tungsten carbide!  There may be a compound that would remain fluid at that temp (and could be considered a "body") but a quick Google failed to show me one.

Is this in vanilla 1.13?  This might be a good reason for including a sanity check in 1.14 on max body temperatures and/or where bodies are allowed to occur - eg, not inside a star!  8)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2021, 03:53:47 PM »
Is this in vanilla 1.13?  This might be a good reason for including a sanity check in 1.14 on max body temperatures and/or where bodies are allowed to occur - eg, not inside a star!  8)

We actually needed a similar sanity check for the cold end of things with Anti-greenhouse gasses so I'm surprised that a similar sanity check doesn't exist for the hot end. I guess it's because there isn't a theoretical limit on how hot something can get but there is a limit on how cold.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #223 on: July 07, 2021, 06:48:05 PM »
Cold War start.
3 powers: NATO, CSAT, China.

The only available Sorium is a 0.4 Deposit on Neptune and does contain only 98,000 tons. With a 5% research rate and 5% survey rate I think that Nuclear annihilation is closer than I thought when I started this campaign.

;D ;D ;D

Also

Post in bugs. There should be a string a code to allow asteroids belts to be generated only to a minimum distance of the star with an average radius of half of that distance to avoid this to happen. I believe there is already a similar one to deal with planets-asteroids paths.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:52:46 PM by froggiest1982 »

Offline non sequitur

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #224 on: August 23, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
The Soviet Union has had to develop a whole new series of warships to deal with the incursions of Lethe Empire. So far nearly 284,000 tons of Lethe warship have been destroyed with another 210,000 captured. While Soviet warships are holding their own missile stocks have run nearly entirely empty. Soviet production cannot produce enough missiles to keep up with the rate at which they are being used and presently only 50 P-1000 Vulkans remain. Fleet doctrine maintains that soviet warships are required to be armed with secondary railguns, but there are not nearly enough guns to hold off the Lethe if another incursion is mounted. Soviet fleet designers have designed a whole new series of battlecruisers and standard cruisers with all railgun armament in order to ease the crisis.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:15:40 PM by non sequitur »