Author Topic: Bug reports  (Read 23917 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Bugs report
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »
There doesn't seem to be any negative effects of being in negative wealth. I believe in Aurora there is some limitation on building new ships and constructions (?) when in negative wealth ?

Production (of everything) should slow down;  the F2 window should show a negative wealth modifier next to the unrest modifier, lack of workers modifier, overpopulation modifier, etc.

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
Here is a save where i just offloaded fuel from the Fleet TK Delete to planet Kristina III. Planet still says 0 fuel. I think you can reproduce by OB creating a tanker of same class and offload 90% fuel to colony Kristina III

This is fixed.  There was a bug in a line of SQL code left over from when I changed Fuel consumption to allow fractions internally.

I believe there used to be a +/- indication of the last change in wealth in the top of the window. As of right now my game shows just an empty ()

This is fixed, negative numbers weren't showing.

https://imgur.com/a/3qXMPcX

These two ships claims low fuel, but fleet window says 100% fuel. This is the first time I encounter this. The issue resolved when i sets speed to max speed instead of speed 1.

This should be an easy fix since it repeats itself each turn, I just need a save file so I can trace through when it is happening.

There is some issue when you detach ships from another fleet that have max speed=1 they keep this speed instead of going to there max speed. (IE. there two ship were put into Earth SY taskgroup when created, this taskgroup also hold a newly created ship without engine therefor the SY tastgroup have movement of 0, when i create a new group they keep the speed at 0)

Easy to fix, I just need to know precisely how the ships were detached.  The Detach Ship button already updates the speed of the newly created fleet.

Here are some for v96.     
Part of me wants to stop reporting so you won't have any distractions from the next feature additions, but I keep playing and noticing weird things.   

Up to you :)  Sooner or later these have to be fixed.  The overall time spent on the project is probably reduced by me not having to spend time isolating the exact problem when I run into these issues.

System map sidebar "Minerals" tab -> "Show Mineral Concentrations" displays mineral concentrations on unsurveyed bodies.     

Fixed

Sidebar width issue not fixed, my monitor is "only" 1920x1080 and expanding the system map all the way across turns the sidebar into a pretty big obscuration (completely covers scale bar).      Sidebar width could probably just be constrained to the default value as nothing is gained by letting it be wider.     

Fixed.  I honestly have no idea how my previous fix got undone.

LPs can display the wrong LP# in the "select destination" window which comes up when you click intra-system jump from another LP.      For instance, if you have a 2-LP system, and you select LP1->Intra-system jump, in the resulting "select destination" window LP2 will be erroneously labeled as LP1.     

Fixed

Choosing to replace an commander by selecting "ok" on the "Do you wish to replace him/her" dialog resets the Commanders screen as though you closed and reopened it.      As in, if you replace a ground forces commander, as soon as you click "ok" the Commanders screen will reset to Naval Officers, lowest rank selected, no officer selected.      The commander does get replaced, but it's very annoying for mass-replacing.     

Fixed.  My goal is to eventually eliminate all of these cases where a refresh causes the currently selected item in a menu or list to get reset.  Just a matter of weeding them out. 

Naval commanders don't get skill upgrades by performing their duty as they did in Aurora.      For example, officers assigned to vessels conducting surveying or constructing jump gates would rapidly gain survey and factory production skill, respectively.      Right now the only way to train an officer in a skill like survey or logistics is to assign them to the appropriate TF staff position.      I've created a dozen otherwise useless TFs for this reason.     

Duty skillups aren't yet implemented.  I've moved them up on my list.

Cancelling research projects can still result in the project being duplicated in the research list.      I haven't noticed any factors as to why sometimes they get duplicated and sometimes they don't.     

Fixed.  Duplicates already existing in your game might stick around until the project is fully reseached.

"Projected Usage" in the industry tab can display negative values.      My neutronium projected usage is at -39 right now.      If this is somehow intended, I apologize.     

Lots of possible places for a bug that would cause this, a save file would save me a lot of time finding the issue.

Vessels in overhaul can still suffer maintenance failures.     

Fixed.  Also stopped failures from occurring on ships not in overhaul but being tended by Maintenance Facilities.  Also stopped failures from occurring when "No Overhauls" is enabled.

The "fuel situation" window displays mx spares as the vessel's maximum value, not the actual remaining.     

Fixed

Homeworld geological survey always fails on the first construction interval.      In Aurora the homeworld geological survey would proceed as any other with normal failure or success rates.     

Ship geo survey worked fine, so I assumed you meant team geo survey.  I just created a game in Aurora 7.1 with all the default settings, and the homeworld was already marked as surveyed by geo team so there doesn't appear to be any functional difference here.

Deployment time <3 months is not a criteria for military vessel classification as in Aurora.     

Fixed

The default order "build closest jump gate", when finding that the closest jump gate is outside the system, halts and reports that all movement orders have been rescinded.     .     .      but they don't get taken out of the orders list so the constructor starts acting on them on the next increment anyway.    I've tried this several more times but can't recreate it.   

I'll keep it in mind.  Let me know if you're able to isolate this.

In the naval organization tab if you add vessels to a branch under a different TF, then "Create Task Groups / Land Parasite" -> "Ship Only (Branch only etc)" on that ship or branch, the newly created TG should be part of the appropriate TF (evidenced in the top-left dropdown).      All my TGs are still assigned to the starter TF, no matter how I create them or try to move them.     

Fixed

Maximum speed in a nebula is as though the vessel has only one level of armor, regardless of how many levels it has.    I refit a bunch of survey vessels with extra armor in order to fight through a high-level nebula but they still move at the same speed.   

Fixed

Clicking the "all projects" radio button in the research screen locks out adding/queueing research projects until Quasar is closed and restarted.   

Wasn't able to reproduce.  Can you send me a save file where this is reproducable?

Minimum Jump Engine Size techs after the first one (size 15, the one you have to research to build jump drives) don't do anything.  They're supposed to reduce the minimum engine size that allows squadron jumps.

Fixed.  Any existing Jump Engine designs and components with the wrong max squadron size will need to be recreated.

https://imgur.com/a/5l66JFW

So logs says Grav of Grenå is complete. Yet there are two unsurveyed, and Agricourt 002 and 006 seems to wanna survey the same point...

Fixed.  There were duplicate entries in the "This race has completed the survey of this survey point" table.  I fixed the code that was making the duplicate entries and hopefully made the rest of the code safely ignore duplicates.  Existing systems in your game with partially completed grav surveys may act a bit weird but the surveys should be completable.  Unsurveyed systems, new systems, and completed systems should be fine. 

I fixed a bug that was sending multiple ships to survey the same geo or grav location, which should resolve some of the survey-related strangeness reported in the past.  I have not tested the new survey code beyond making sure your game doesn't crash when I press "5 days", so there may or may not be further kinks to work out.

There doesn't seem to be any negative effects of being in negative wealth. I believe in Aurora there is some limitation on building new ships and constructions (?) when in negative wealth ?

Production (of everything) should slow down;  the F2 window should show a negative wealth modifier next to the unrest modifier, lack of workers modifier, overpopulation modifier, etc.

Negative wealth impact hasn't been implemented yet.  I've moved it up on my list.

Thanks for the reports.  Build 97 has been pushed with these changes along with some new things I'll be mentioning in a progress update in a bit.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2020, 03:06:05 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/3qXMPcX

These two ships claims low fuel, but fleet window says 100% fuel. This is the first time I encounter this. The issue resolved when i sets speed to max speed instead of speed 1.

This should be an easy fix since it repeats itself each turn, I just need a save file so I can trace through when it is happening.

Sounds like the 'Task Force at speed 1' warning message is displaying the wrong text (i.e. low fuel).

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2020, 03:58:38 PM »
Quote from: Kyle link=topic=10510. msg119576#msg119576 date=1584127456
Quote from: kyonkundenwa link=topic=10510. msg119541#msg119541 date=1584038133
"Projected Usage" in the industry tab can display negative values.       My neutronium projected usage is at -39 right now.       If this is somehow intended, I apologize.     

Lots of possible places for a bug that would cause this, a save file would save me a lot of time finding the issue.
Next time I notice it I'll close and make a copy.

Homeworld geological survey always fails on the first construction interval.       In Aurora the homeworld geological survey would proceed as any other with normal failure or success rates.     

Ship geo survey worked fine, so I assumed you meant team geo survey.   I just created a game in Aurora 7. 1 with all the default settings, and the homeworld was already marked as surveyed by geo team so there doesn't appear to be any functional difference here.
You're right of course.  I really thought I used to do team geo surveys on Earth, maybe you could in one of the previous versions.

Clicking the "all projects" radio button in the research screen locks out adding/queueing research projects until Quasar is closed and restarted.   

Wasn't able to reproduce.   Can you send me a save file where this is reproducable?
This one may have been user error because I can't reproduce it now.

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2020, 09:23:18 AM »
There is some issue when you detach ships from another fleet that have max speed=1 they keep this speed instead of going to there max speed. (IE. there two ship were put into Earth SY taskgroup when created, this taskgroup also hold a newly created ship without engine therefor the SY tastgroup have movement of 0, when i create a new group they keep the speed at 0)

Easy to fix, I just need to know precisely how the ships were detached.  The Detach Ship button already updates the speed of the newly created fleet.

https://imgur.com/a/t7N3IXk

This task group was created via "Split taskgroup" in special orders & organisation

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• G
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
I don't know if this is a bug, or i'm just unlucky, but now i'm up to 22 system in my current game and have not found a single asteroid outside sol? This seems odd?

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »

https://imgur.com/a/t7N3IXk

This task group was created via "Split taskgroup" in special orders & organisation

Fixed, also found and fixed a few other similar cases

I don't know if this is a bug, or i'm just unlucky, but now i'm up to 22 system in my current game and have not found a single asteroid outside sol? This seems odd?

... Oops. Comets weren't generating either.  Fixed for new systems, sorry about that.  You can do F9 > SM Redo Comets for a few random systems if you want.  Unfortunately there's no good way to add asteroids to existing systems. 

Build 98 has been pushed with these fixes.

Also included in this build:
- small chance for ship commanders to gain survey skill increase upon finding minerals, ruins, or anomalies.
- small chance for ship commanders to gain survey skill increase upon completing a grav survey on one survey location
- ship commanders gain production skill increase upon completing jump gate
- the chances and amounts gained of the above events are inversely affected by the number of eligible commanders in the fleet
- chance for ship commanders to gain a production skill increase upon salvaging a wreck

That should take care of the remaining duty skillup types that were left to do.

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »
V97.

Max Engine Power techs don't provide the stated max power option, they provide the one just prior.  For example, Max Engine Power 1. 5x only lets you select up to 1. 45x.

I can't get fighters to use fighter crew quarters.  The smallest I can get a vessel to use is tiny crew quarters, even with no other components and a deployment time of 0. 1.  That results in a quarters HS requirement of 0. 02, half of a fighter quarters and one fifth of a tiny quarters.

Orders which divide the fleet don't play well with carriers and landed parasites.  If you "transit and divide", for example, with parasites landed on a carrier, the parasites won't be launched prior to dividing.  They can go about their business (surveying in my example case) but don't use fuel nor run the mx clock, because they are still "landed", though they are stuck at the carrier's maximum speed.

Here's a weird one, probably related to what was previously reported about the speed=1/fuel warning.  Setting vessel movement speed to a relatively low number, such as 100, and giving a "move to" order results in moving many billions of km away from the destination on the next time increment.  The vessel will report that it "has insufficient fuel to complete orders of its fleet" and that it "has run out of fuel", though neither is true.
100 isn't always the magic number (such as on a fighter, where smaller numbers like 2 are required) but 100 works every time on my test vehicle (default new ship + a large fuel tank and a size-50 commercial engine).  It probably has to do with maximum range vs set speed.  Higher speeds result in greater distances warped.  Predictable and repeatable enough to make it easily exploitable for exploring those hard-to-reach secondary/tertiary star systems.

Oh you posted an update.  It's possible you fixed the dividing problem I just mentioned with the changes to splitting.
Quote from: Kyle link=topic=10510. msg119622#msg119622 date=1584221544
Comets weren't generating either. 
I had found several comets, though they were all in systems that were otherwise empty except for the ~5 comets.

- the chances and amounts gained of the above events are inversely affected by the number of eligible commanders in the fleet
I assume by fleet you mean Task Group, such that a TG of 10 survey vessels which surveys 10 points produces on average the same number of skill upgrades as 10 TGs of 1 survey vessel each which survey those same 10 points?

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:10 AM »
V97.

Max Engine Power techs don't provide the stated max power option, they provide the one just prior.  For example, Max Engine Power 1. 5x only lets you select up to 1. 45x.

Fixed

I can't get fighters to use fighter crew quarters.  The smallest I can get a vessel to use is tiny crew quarters, even with no other components and a deployment time of 0. 1.  That results in a quarters HS requirement of 0. 02, half of a fighter quarters and one fifth of a tiny quarters.

Fixed.  Fighter crew quarters will now be available when total required crew is 2 or less, to match A4X 7.1.

Orders which divide the fleet don't play well with carriers and landed parasites.  If you "transit and divide", for example, with parasites landed on a carrier, the parasites won't be launched prior to dividing.  They can go about their business (surveying in my example case) but don't use fuel nor run the mx clock, because they are still "landed", though they are stuck at the carrier's maximum speed.

Fixed.  'Transit and Divide' and 'Divide Fleet into Single Ships' orders will not launch or detach landed parasites, to match A4X.

Here's a weird one, probably related to what was previously reported about the speed=1/fuel warning.  Setting vessel movement speed to a relatively low number, such as 100, and giving a "move to" order results in moving many billions of km away from the destination on the next time increment.  The vessel will report that it "has insufficient fuel to complete orders of its fleet" and that it "has run out of fuel", though neither is true.
100 isn't always the magic number (such as on a fighter, where smaller numbers like 2 are required) but 100 works every time on my test vehicle (default new ship + a large fuel tank and a size-50 commercial engine).  It probably has to do with maximum range vs set speed.  Higher speeds result in greater distances warped.  Predictable and repeatable enough to make it easily exploitable for exploring those hard-to-reach secondary/tertiary star systems.

Fixed.  Integers in the database were being pulled as 32 bit integers when they should have been pulled as 64 bit, even though both the database and the game assumes everything is 64 bit.  This was causing nonsense negative numbers to show up in areas where they shouldn't, such as "how long can we travel before running out of fuel or reaching our destination".  Of course there are a zillion ways to re-work the math so it doesn't rely on super large numbers, but that's besides the point.  Squashing this nasty bug where integers are temporarily scrunched into 32 bits, in every single database interaction, is huge! Nice!  (and fwiw my test case of a 6 LY move order at 5 m/s max speed didn't even come close to the 64 bit limit.)

Comets weren't generating either. 
I had found several comets, though they were all in systems that were otherwise empty except for the ~5 comets.

Now that you mention it, turns out the bug had a bug, so that comets still had a chance of generating in low-abundance systems.  Anyway, it's back to normal now.

I assume by fleet you mean Task Group, such that a TG of 10 survey vessels which surveys 10 points produces on average the same number of skill upgrades as 10 TGs of 1 survey vessel each which survey those same 10 points?

Yeah, I have a strong habit of saying Fleet to refer to task groups because the table they are stored in is called Fleet.  For surveys and jump gates, the chance of the TG itself getting a skillup roll is constant regardless of how many eligible commanders are involved (the number of commanders of ships in the TG that participated in the work), but if there is more than one eligible commander then the chance of each commander getting a skill up is inversely proportional to the number of eligible commanders, and so is the amount of skill they gain. 

Version 99 is up with these changes.

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• G
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/qLF53mk

I think this is a bug. I cant load Research lab component, even though they should be available ?

---

I think there is a bug when fueling from a tanker to another tanker. It seems to not take fuel that will take the tanker below 10%. I don't think Aurora behave this way.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:45:38 AM by Gram123 »

Offline Gram123 (OP)

• G
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
Whenever a production cyclus run the system view is jumping to a "Random" system. I don't really think its random, but i cant make any sense to where its jumping.

It happens quite a lot, i have attached a safe, where it jumped from "sol" to "denmark".

Not that i write it i realize that this might be tight to the "center map" option in the fleet view. In this case i left the option on, closed the fleet window and the last fleet i selected was "Cargo 5 -mines Randers" This fleet is in "denmark" at the time so i think this may be why the system view jumped from Sol to Denmark.

This "center map option works different in Quasar, as the tick stays on, whereas in aurora every time you tick it you go to the fleet in mind. TBH i think its better the way it works in Quasar, but you might not wanna jump everytime you hit 5 days, just when you select a different fleet in fleet view.

Hope that make sense.

https://imgur.com/a/E36eIHU

Edit: When the Center map option is off i think it jump to the most resent event (in the event window) - If this is true then i think it is unwanted.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:33:17 AM by Gram123 »

Offline Kyle

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2020, 12:15:15 PM »
https://imgur.com/a/qLF53mk

I think this is a bug. I cant load Research lab component, even though they should be available ?

Can you send a save file for this?

I think there is a bug when fueling from a tanker to another tanker. It seems to not take fuel that will take the tanker below 10%. I don't think Aurora behave this way.

Need to verify how Aurora does it

Whenever a production cyclus run the system view is jumping to a "Random" system. I don't really think its random, but i cant make any sense to where its jumping.

Fixed for version 100.  It was jumping to system on every fleet transit, when it was supposed to be just when a new system is discovered.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2020, 04:33:16 AM »
Need to verify how Aurora does it

VB6 Aurora transfers 90% of the remaining fuel. So if you issue the order twice it transfers 99%.

The following users thanked this post: Kyle, Gram123

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2020, 11:49:23 PM »
V99.

LP numbering isn't entirely fixed.  I have a vessel headed to LP4 for a jump to LP5, however the order in the TG window says LP3 jumping to LP4.

Sometimes orders assigned by the geosurvey default order will get deleted in the wrong order when you use the "remove" button, getting deleted top-to-bottom instead of bottom-to-top.

Replacing a commander resets your search parameters, annoying for mass-replacement. 

When you click "add task" at the bottom of the shipyard window, the class list resets to the first class alphabetically, which is annoying for constructing [when multiple classes are available at one shipyard] or mass scrapping.

I just complained about the shipyard window resetting too often but there's also a proper bug from it not resetting enough.  If you click a tooled shipyard which is set for construction, then click an un-tooled shipyard, the "new class" dropdown retains the class name from the tooled shipyard, which means you can use untooled shipyards to build any vessel for which another shipyard is tooled.  I did this by accident at first and it took me a while to solve the mystery of why my untooled shipyard had no slipways available.

As previously reported, projected mineral usage can go negative.  This is because projected cost for the decimal places of a project hits 0 when the item is x. 5% complete, and then continues down into the negatives until the integer decrements (or the project is complete).  For example, if you build a shipyard (1200 each duranium and neutronium), projected usage of those two minerals will count down from 1200 at the start to 0 at 50% complete to (almost) -1200 in the cycle before it finishes.

A guy assigned to a geological team died, but the team rating didn't update and there was no team vacancy for me to fill in the Commanders->teams section, nor any way for me to assign someone to the team in the Teams & Academy tab (as far as I could tell).  The four of them finished the task as normal, which was nice of them.

The Fast OB spacemaster function incorrectly multiplies "total cost" by the number of vessels you've indicated to determine cost to decrement.  If you design a 500-point vessel, then go into Fast OB and order 5 at once, it will cost you 5x500x5=12500 points.  I recognize that this doesn't matter at all.

I don't know if this is intended but in Quasar task-based skill increases go by 1% increments, while in Aurora task-based skill upgrades go by 5% increments (teams go by 1%). 
Consequence: task-based skill upgrades are extremely slow; I've got commanders who have single-handedly geosurveyed a half-dozen systems each and the best anybody has done is +5%.  It makes practical training kind of pointless when staff positions upgrade faster because they earn +5% at a time.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2020, 07:34:32 AM »
A guy assigned to a geological team died, but the team rating didn't update and there was no team vacancy for me to fill in the Commanders->teams section, nor any way for me to assign someone to the team in the Teams & Academy tab (as far as I could tell).  The four of them finished the task as normal, which was nice of them.

A team of only four should still complete its task (at least, according to VB Aurora), but the rest of it is a bug.

I don't know if this is intended but in Quasar task-based skill increases go by 1% increments, while in Aurora task-based skill upgrades go by 5% increments (teams go by 1%).

Consequence: task-based skill upgrades are extremely slow; I've got commanders who have single-handedly geosurveyed a half-dozen systems each and the best anybody has done is +5%.  It makes practical training kind of pointless when staff positions upgrade faster because they earn +5% at a time.

Team-based skill upgrades (survey, diplomacy, espionage, etc.) should award 5% divided among the team of five (i.e. 1% each).  Single-officer upgrades (research, facotry production, etc.) 'divide' the same 5% among one person.