Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 275583 times)

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #615 on: May 19, 2020, 07:07:15 AM »
Decouple the research rate of technology from the research rate of designed systems, and allow them to be set separately.
That way I can play my 20% research rate game without also needing five times as long to research each new engine.

I'd like this in the opposite direction as well - I'd quite like to be able to hike the relative cost of designed systems to increase the incentive to reuse already designed parts.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #616 on: May 19, 2020, 07:46:51 AM »
Ground Formation Refit function

Not sure of this has already been mentioned... but...

A function to "refit" current formation to new technology would be really helpful... there would be a small extra cost and then you update your current formation to the new technological standard of the same components.

Obviously you need to research all the new components in that formation... so a system where you can research new version of every component and link them as upgrades for refit.

Example...

I have a Light Infantry with light personal weapons using weapons 8 and armour 10 technology. I then research level 12 in both and decide to upgrade my light infantry component to Light Infantry Type-2... it is the same component just with a higher tech level.

If I do this with all relevant components in a formation then that formation is selectable for upgrade and I pay a refit cost and the difference in cost between them to refit them with new equipment.

This also should reset their moral back to 100 as they need new training with their new weapons.

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT, Migi

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #617 on: May 19, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
On top of the great new game-wide option, add options to disable/enable civilian shipping/harvesters individually for each player-controlled race.

This is for the "motor home has racked up some mileage"-longlist: One can work around the global option as it is by deleting any new civilian ship in an empire where they don't fit in (or invent a story to make them fit RP-wise), and I think (?) if you delete the first ships immediately before they produce revenue, any new line should be unable to afford new ones, so it shouldn't take much effort. But it would still be nice to simply have a tickbox in the Race Window.

PS: Still lower priority, as it already becomes still easier in 1.10, see consiefe's reply below. A single empire-wide setting might still be nice after very many miles. – (I've read that changes list at least three times before. Adds "limited perception" to own traits list....)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:07:39 AM by Second Foundationer »

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #618 on: May 19, 2020, 08:47:19 AM »
Now that it's significantly harder to translate alien languages ( especially if they prove to be hostile ), it would be quite helpful if the check to be in range of a ship could be circumvented in a few other logical situations:

- You captured an alien colony
- You captured an alien colony ship
- You share colonies on the same body with X number of population minimum
- You captured X number of alien survivors from lifepods / ship crews

I feel in all these situations there could be a logical explanation how you can progress learning their language and open communications despite not being in signal contact with one of their ships.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #619 on: May 19, 2020, 09:45:04 AM »
On top of the great new game-wide option, add options to disable/enable civilian shipping/harvesters individually for each player-controlled race.

This is for the "motor home has racked up some mileage"-longlist: One can work around the global option as it is by deleting any new civilian ship in an empire where they don't fit in (or invent a story to make them fit RP-wise), and I think (?) if you delete the first ships immediately before they produce revenue, any new line should be unable to afford new ones, so it shouldn't take much effort. But it would still be nice to simply have a tickbox in the Race Window.

Changes / Additions
Shipping Lines can be deleted

In a week or so, when 1.10 comes out you can do that. How it works remains to be seen but I imagine that's more or less what you say.

The following users thanked this post: Second Foundationer

Offline Rook

• Petty Officer
« Reply #620 on: May 19, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
Some suggestions/requests for Troop Handling:
- Add ship/fleet tab with drag-and-drop capability for transferring units between parasites and motherships with troop transport bays, and possibly nearby ships in the fleet.

- Add order "Unload ground unit to ship in stationary fleet". Another handy one would be "Land on assigned Mothership and unload ground unit".

If transfer time between ships is a concern, perhaps the drag-and-drop function could put the fleet in a state similar to Overhaul, where additional orders cannot be carried out. It would be REALLY great if these things could be done while underway, but I'm not certain how that should be handled. Transfer delays for ships underway, but reduced if the transfer is between embarked parasites and/or the mothership(perhaps instant for embarked parasites?).

Regarding parasites:
- Add Fleet information panel regarding parasites assigned to ships in the fleet and their status (embarked, disembarked) and perhaps a temporary status listing for lost parasites.

- The above panel could double as a link to the parasites, so that clicking on one of the listings will take you to the ship's information panel. Or perhaps a right-click, so we don't accidentally bounce around.

- An entry on the ships information panel detailing assigned mother ship, and whether or not the parasite is embarked.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #621 on: May 19, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »
An option to specify exact coordinates when creating a Waypoint.  This will help with manually calculated intercepts such as slow tugs trying to catch fast planets.

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #622 on: May 19, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
More colour choices for the Labels on the galaxy map.   Of the 16 on offer, 2 are almost the same as the background and difficult to read, some others like grey and silver are quite similar, so our choices seem rather limited.  I guess the step up to 256 colours would do.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #623 on: May 20, 2020, 02:01:49 AM »
How about an extension to the shipyard system. To me in the actual system I have two choices how to design my shipyards: I can either have one for each class or I can design only a few for fitting sized of my ship classes and retool as needed.

I am suggesting a third option. Since we are talking shipyards here a lot of work is being done in a very modular way. So a component is constructed in some place and then assembled in the main assemble area. Somewhat components come together isn’t that relevant to what ship can be assembled but rather the size that can be assembled.

Adding production lines to a shipyard might be an interesting alternative then. So when you first design a shipyard you tool it for one class. Over time new classes can be added to that shipyard - as long as it would fit the size of the shipyard. But adding instead of retooling is more expensive than retooling. So one would end with a shipyard that maybe has three sliplines of 17.000t but that one can build/scrap/retool eight different ship classes.

The following users thanked this post: UberWaffe

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #624 on: May 20, 2020, 05:58:53 AM »
How about an extension to the shipyard system. To me in the actual system I have two choices how to design my shipyards: I can either have one for each class or I can design only a few for fitting sized of my ship classes and retool as needed.

I am suggesting a third option. Since we are talking shipyards here a lot of work is being done in a very modular way. So a component is constructed in some place and then assembled in the main assemble area. Somewhat components come together isn’t that relevant to what ship can be assembled but rather the size that can be assembled.

Adding production lines to a shipyard might be an interesting alternative then. So when you first design a shipyard you tool it for one class. Over time new classes can be added to that shipyard - as long as it would fit the size of the shipyard. But adding instead of retooling is more expensive than retooling. So one would end with a shipyard that maybe has three sliplines of 17.000t but that one can build/scrap/retool eight different ship classes.

Yeah this idea has alot of merit IMO, but needs careful balancing to not become the default way of playing. 8 different classes also does seem like quite alot so cost for that needs to be quite significant I think.

A way it could be set up in practice is to use the refit cost already in game so that the more different the classes you try to add in retooling the more expensive it will be to add additional ones.

For example like this:
- Each shipyard must still have a "main" assigned class retooled ( similar to now ).
- You can retool additional classes beyond the main class, but adding classes cost is scaled based on how much they differ from the main class
- This is balanced so that a class just barely not eligible to be built in the same shipyard for no additional cost ( refit being less than 20% of the primary ship class cost rule ) is very cheap / almost free to add as additional retooling.
- An additional cost factor to retooling is added based on how many different classes the shipyard can already build ( including free ones ). For example 10% * classes extra retooling cost.
- Removing capability to build an additional class is free ( to reduce above cost and get rid of obsolete classes / revert having retooled to too many ).

Overall I think retooling could benefit alot from an approach of having it's cost scaled by class difference, since It to me makes little sense that a class that miss the "refit being less than 20% of the primary ship class cost rule" by just a few % should be very easy to adapt the shipyard to building instead rather than costing just as much as retooling to a class twice as large and with zero shared components.

Offline pwhk

• p
« Reply #625 on: May 20, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
I would like to have an interrupt event when a Naval command position is vacant. Considering that we do have an interrupt when such position are manned by under-ranked officers, and a vacant position has the same (in)effect...

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler, JuergenSchT, skoormit

Offline wedgebert

• Ace Wiki Contributor
  • w
« Reply #626 on: May 20, 2020, 01:04:13 PM »
It would be nice if we could split out the Retirement and Command Health events into separate events for Unassigned and Assigned leaders.

Retirement
Retirement (Unassigned)
Commander Health
Commander Health (Unassigned)

Even better would be to break it out by leader type

Retirement - Unassigned Ground Leader
Commander Health - Assigned Civ Adminstrator

It can be tiresome as your staff pools grow to hunt through the messages that appear at once to find the one scientist or governor who quit/died among the dozen retiring ground force commanders. This way I could just hide the Unassigned (or better, all the GFC as well)

The following users thanked this post: mike2R, TMaekler, serger, JuergenSchT

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #627 on: May 20, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
Some sort of very expensive Jump point interdictor component would be very cool.

When in range of a jump point (depending on tech), a ship with that component can decide to scramble a jump point, if the JP is stabilized it can either not work or take a while to take effect. If a jump point is scrambled, even jump capable ships would be unable to transit through. This could provide some interesting possibilities for sieging.

In order to prevent indefinite lockdowns of JPs some sort of consequence needs to be present though, maybe the ship in question would need MSP to maintain interdiction.

Basically allowing players and NPRs to mess around with JPs would be cool.

Offline Latrone

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #628 on: May 21, 2020, 05:49:18 AM »
Hey Steve, as always thanks for all the work you've put in.  It's amazing.

I was designing a new ground unit and I saw that somehow it's armour rating was higher than a previously designed similar unit.  And then I noticed that it was because of an update in tech.

So I was wondering wheather we could have an "update unit" button for ground formations, in a similar sense to how copy design and update armour work for ships.
It would copy the design of the selected formation, update it's armour and damage and then generate a research project based on that.

All of the old units would just stay the same, but it would really save some time redesigning the same ground forces over and over again.

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #629 on: May 21, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »
Log assigned and finished research projects at Scientist's history, the same as it works now with "Releaved from leadership of" event.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue, JuergenSchT, skoormit