Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 275408 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #1470 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »
snip
II) is not a simple change, and would need to be balanced by a corresponding change so that smaller ships can jump farther than big ones. Otherwise it becomes trivial to evade JP pickets with even very large fleets - why send a raiding party when you can send the entire invasion?
snip

It would scatter the entire invasion force around the arrival system jump point in small packets perfect for defeat-in-detail.
For a small group of stealth raiders I would risk it.
A planetary invasion taskforce with specialized Combatants it could be risky on how the ships get scattered and in which directions they get placed..

This is already basically how a squadron jump into the system works. The point is more relating to the jumping-out mechanic which was the original suggestion.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #1471 on: February 11, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »
okay it would require a change to the average JP picket operation...
It would require an force to have a forward defense towards the threat vector instead of just sitting directly on the Jump point.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1472 on: February 12, 2021, 12:23:41 AM »
I was thinking about and hoping for a jump point deconstruction module or a weapon of sorts that does the job. It would allow for scorched earth tactics and maybe close a jump point or stabilized intra-system jump point before an enemy fleet can follow.
There are quite a few useful applications for this in defensive warfare against superior empires.
Yes, let's go "Deep Space Nine" all the way: destabilise the worm hole entirely and collapse it :-)

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1473 on: February 12, 2021, 12:58:07 AM »
I honestly feel like the effect of 'comitting' to stabalizing a point would be about the same if you had a way to destabalize them and it just took a lot more time (or inordinate investment of some other kind).  If I had to leave a ship on a point for 10 years to get rid of the jump point (and it then needed a jump drive to be able to leave) then I would absolutely exercise that option periodically.

Offline unkfester

• Silver Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: unkfester
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1474 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:26 AM »
I was thinking destabilise. Meaning gone, gone forever, no going back.
That way you would really think about closing it.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #1475 on: February 12, 2021, 02:18:32 AM »
When I was making this suggestion I was merely thinking of removing the door handle on one side, not destroying the connection between systems. A star empire that is on the offense would need to capture intact jump points so that it can handle it's logistics, as the fat ships might not be able to follow your war fleet due to damages to the jump network. On top of that, it would allow trapping an enemy fleet in your space after destroying their jump capability by denying jump points.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1476 on: February 12, 2021, 02:49:16 AM »
While destroying them completely sound a bit extreme we could perhaps damage or destabilise them enough so only "Military" jump drives could enter them, perhaps also making any jump having twice the blinding effect as normal too. You now would first have to repair them for your civilian support ships to follow your fleet.

This could be the more interesting form of scorched earth type of tactics in this game as it is right now.

It would most likely need some rewriting of AI logic as well so perhaps a much bigger task than it's worth, I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 09:43:05 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1477 on: February 12, 2021, 02:00:13 PM »
I'm not sure we really have the mechanics on hand to make a satisfying system where the jump point is only partially disabled.

I guess a partially dead jump point could have a tonnage limit.  Maybe that then slowly comes back up over time as the point recovers or something.

Making the jump blinding worse is decent but that does kindof worsen the whole 'jump point defenses are really difficult to deal with' problem.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1478 on: February 12, 2021, 02:22:05 PM »
I don't think its smart to "destroy" JPs permanently unless there is a way to "rebuild" them with a stabilizer.

For example a destroyed JP would need x2 the time that the stabilizer module is rated at in order to repair. You could make it so that stabilized JPs cannot be destroyed in order to add an incentive to stabilize JPs that are on the frontline.

I think this is the easiest way programmatically to implement something like this without creating new underlying mechanics.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1479 on: February 12, 2021, 09:09:12 PM »
It seems to be that the tools to 'destroy' JPs could be easily put into place - the functionality obviously exists to stabilize a JP, couldn't Steve put in the function to reverse it in the same manner?  You're not actually destroying the JP.  You are just destabilizing it to make it harder to travel through.  This would open up good gameplay options it seems to me.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1480 on: February 13, 2021, 05:45:04 AM »
I like the idea of jump points being at different cohesion levels which then would impact the amount of jump distance / parallel jump capacity of that said jump point. The general technology to control this is already there - jump stabilization. It just needs to be expanded in both ways: make it more cohesive or less.

The question is: what and how should or could a jump point be limited?
For one, making it completely go away is for sure too far outside of the base game mechanics - unless we want to make them being build up from the ground as well... but I don't think so.

But make a jump point limited to the number of parallel ships that could pass - sure, why not? A "small" wormhole simply can only max transfer 2 ships at most. Whilst the "Amazon River" has no problem with 10 ships floating in parallel... . Also, if we limit the number of max parallel ship transfers this should be a limiting factor only from one side. I don't want to have it in a way where my enemy could diminish a jump connection down to one or two ships making it impossible to jump him. So if the jump point from my side is ok, I can jump in 10 ships in parallel, but because he diminished it from his side he can only jump in two ships at a time. So minimizing a jump point for me he would have to have control for a time being to destabilize it from my side.

And - sure, those diminishing and strengthening should take a lot of time... three to four times your standard stabilization time at least.... .

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1481 on: February 13, 2021, 09:44:16 AM »
Okay here is the pettiest and most minuscule of requests ever made.....can we get the stars recolored to reflect their true color, i.e yellow, red, orange, blue, white based off their type?  It is the smallest of things but I think it would be a cool low impact way to differentiate the systems visually.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, papent

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1482 on: February 13, 2021, 09:53:39 AM »
I terms of JP I'm not actually a huge fan of them at all to be honest, it is a bit too limited in tactical and strategic operational sense.

If Steve ever make any concerted effort to make any big changes I just he make a 2.0 update and use his Aurora 2 ideas for space travel instead, this would in my opinion be an even more fun game.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=3011.0

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1483 on: February 13, 2021, 01:33:11 PM »
Okay here is the pettiest and most minuscule of requests ever made.....can we get the stars recolored to reflect their true color, i.e yellow, red, orange, blue, white based off their type?  It is the smallest of things but I think it would be a cool low impact way to differentiate the systems visually.

As an addendum to this, maybe that could bias the background color a bit.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1484 on: February 14, 2021, 02:31:27 AM »
 - I would like to request / suggest the addition of derelict ships. Like ruins, but in space, ghost ships so to speak. I'd also like to request / suggest the addition of Space Hulks, with both these and the derelicts having a chance to appear at random even after that system has been generated. Perhaps at a reduced rate compared to their chance to spawn at system creation. :) Furthermore I'd propose a new NPR for the Space Hulks, with a chance to spawn either Precursors, Swarm (If they have Ground Forces), or a new spoiler race with an Eldritch / Lovecraftian / 40K Warp theme to them. This would have the byproduct of greatly increasing the utility of Marine Forces. The Derelicts and the Space Hulks could be boarded and captured to provide useful techs and modules, or perhaps expand the use of Science Departments & ELINT to gather the data. Maybe have those be required to identify the boni in the vein of a Xenoarchaeology Module before boarding, or require boarding first and then have them do the actual extraction.

- It might be fun to have Derelicts be a sort of minor ruin, with the possibility of permanent capture & research, but to have the Space Hulk be ever under the threat of reclamation from the Eldritch NPR. The lore behind it could be that some ships get lost in or ruined by the Aether, while others get sucked in from alternate universes and occasionally spat out in the player's universe. This would make the Space Hulks potential bridges to other dimensions, while the Derelicts could be more like ruins in that they are ships that remain after an old civilization died out. Potentially having drifted several hundreds or even thousands of lightyears or more and quite possibly being ancient in the extreme. They could similarly have grades like ruins, indicating their state of decay and determining their usefulness... if any. Having Derelicts re-rolled at a higher chance if they fail to spawn, but a ruin successfully spawns in that system would be one idea.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, papent, serger, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee