Author Topic: Ground Unit Component Renaming Added?  (Read 1949 times)

Offline MultiVitamin (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Ground Unit Component Renaming Added?
« on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:09 AM »
So one of my suggestions was the ability to rename a ground units component once it's on said ground unit. For example this would mean, after putting a Personal Weapon on Infantry, you can then rename it to Boltor, M1 Garland, etc, whatever you want it to be. Steve said it was a good idea and would be added in, but I never saw a post about it in the changelog.

So for those of you able to play it, is it possible to do it? I'm mainly asking cause I'm heavily into renaming things and adding flavor to near everything.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
Re: Ground Unit Component Renaming Added?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:23:38 AM »
Not yet.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
Absolutely.  When you create, for example, Personal Weapon Infantry they actually default to "New Unit Class Name" -- after researching them, you select the unit on the Ground Forces --> Formation Templates tab and click "Rename Unit" at bottom right.  You may now name them whatever you want.

You can create multiple versions of the exact same  PW-INF and name them differently, and of course therefore name versions with different levels of racial weapon and/or armour tech differently.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 05:46:08 AM »
However, that's not quite the same as it's not the component itself but the "unit".

You cannot rename components themselves but as Father Tim said, you have lot of flexibility with the "units".

So you can make a "Marine with Bolter" that is infantry, medium powered armour, boarding capable, personal weapons.

And you can make a "Guardsman with Lasgun" that is infantry, light infantry armour, personal weapons.

In fact, I would recommend doing something like this over the more common "infantry" and "marines" as those can get really confusing as you research better techs and use different components on them.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »
I think the way to deal with versions is to date everything, although it will probably make things a bit lengthy.  I believe it's common to mention the year for WW2 divisions because they changed dramatically between the start and end of the war.

Offline MultiVitamin (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 08:03:14 PM »
However, that's not quite the same as it's not the component itself but the "unit".

You cannot rename components themselves but as Father Tim said, you have lot of flexibility with the "units".

So you can make a "Marine with Bolter" that is infantry, medium powered armour, boarding capable, personal weapons.

And you can make a "Guardsman with Lasgun" that is infantry, light infantry armour, personal weapons.

In fact, I would recommend doing something like this over the more common "infantry" and "marines" as those can get really confusing as you research better techs and use different components on them.
Absolutely.  When you create, for example, Personal Weapon Infantry they actually default to "New Unit Class Name" -- after researching them, you select the unit on the Ground Forces --> Formation Templates tab and click "Rename Unit" at bottom right.  You may now name them whatever you want.

You can create multiple versions of the exact same  PW-INF and name them differently, and of course therefore name versions with different levels of racial weapon and/or armour tech differently.

Yea I know I can rename units themselves. But I originally suggested at one point the ability to rename the components of a unit so that we can see it better flavor wise. So that Personal Weapon can be renamed to Boltor, for example. Steve said he liked the idea and would implement it, but I imagine that with how everything's been going lately it either slipped his mind or wasn't that high on priority list (which makes sense).

If he does eventually implement it then I look forward to that day.