Author Topic: Some thoughts on modding C# (no drama)  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Gladaed

• Petty Officer
  • G
Re: Some thoughts on modding C# (no drama)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »
I like the blue theme better. But the blue theme needs more nuance. You can barely see the bars seperating fields. Maybe tweaking those might be more effective. The white theme is very aggressive in its brightness.

Offline surprise

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10785. msg123957#msg123957 date=1587051718
Quote from: firsal link=topic=10785. msg123935#msg123935 date=1587049703
Well, there have been multiple replies in the suggestion thread about color scheme changes and other QoL improvements.  It's not like these suggestions fall on deaf ears; it's likely that Steve would get around to allowing customizability if a lot of us have asked for it.  It's only a matter of time, and most probably after the current bug-fixing period.

I haven't had chance to look at suggestion yet, as I still defending against the bug hordes.  However, as shown in the screenshots from the post below, I know how to do this.  It just depends on priorities.

hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8455. msg94287#msg94287

Priority comes down to being your call, of course, but I think that all the noise around this makes it pretty clear that from our point of view as players, the colour scheme is a fairly significant QoL issue. 

Major bugs should come first, but (selfishly) I do think that providing some customization functionality, or at least picking a more neutral colour scheme in the short term, would almost certainly be very widely appreciated amongst all of us here, and may help to tamp down some of the more heated exchanges people have been having on the topic.

Offline JohnnyR

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 10:58:58 AM »
According to the author, He did, and Steve refused. The game in it's current color scheme is unplayable for me, so while I didn't download the mod, I'm frustrated as it shows how incredibly trivial it would be to fix it. (one line of code).
C'mon Steve, help us out. We want to play your incredible game. For now I'm stuck waiting.

If he did, its news to me :)

Hah, well I guess I shouldn't be surprised someone that decided to go against your wishes, also lied about asking you first  ;D

You're a rock star Steve, and we all appreciate what you do. Don't mind us galliformes. 

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 11:16:47 AM »
Steve, I know how frustrating all this crap must be to you, but don't be discouraged about publishing Aurora. Whilst there are some idiots out there going against your wishes of no modding, I believe most people here respect your wishes.

The following users thanked this post: Yonder, ral02

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »
Given how complex this game is and how much time is already spent on bug hunting this week alone no one can fault Steve for not minding any suggestion or QoL suggestions. The work on hunting bugs are amazing as it is in my opinion.

I have been on these forums long enough to know that Steve takes everything written here very seriously even though he has no obligation to do anything at all.

I think some people just don't understand that Steve have NO obligation to do anything and everything he does is just a public service.

I just hoped people would stop spending time talking about this and just ignore any offenders or give them a platform to operate on.

The following users thanked this post: AlStar, Ektor, Protomolecule, Speagott90

Offline Franss22

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
Quote from: Jorgen_CAB link=topic=10785. msg123997#msg123997 date=1587054027

I have been on these forums long enough to know that Steve takes everything written here very seriously even though he has no obligation to do anything at all.

I think some people just don't understand that Steve have NO obligation to do anything and everything he does is just a public service. 

That doesnt mean we cant give constructive criticism about what he does.  He has no obligation to us, but we also ahve no obligation to have the exact same opinion than him on every matter.  People can disagree on stuff and still respect each other and their decisions.  I have no intention of modding unless Steve gives the OK, but that doesnt mean i dont think there are valid points to allowing mods and that i wish to discuss them. 

If he gives serious consideration to things, then even more of a reason to discuss the suvbject in a serious manner.

I respect Steve, and i also disagree on some of the things about HIS game.  If he wants, he can listen to my concerns, or he can ignore them.  But what he can't and shouldnt do, is stop me from voicing them.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »
Given how complex this game is and how much time is already spent on bug hunting this week alone no one can fault Steve for not minding any suggestion or QoL suggestions. The work on hunting bugs are amazing as it is in my opinion.

I just hoped people would stop spending time talking about this and just ignore any offenders or give them a platform to operate on.

A major issue is the entitlement culture we live in and how most people in this culture never grow up mentally and emotionally into real adults.
That's a whole other story.

If you have respect for Steve as a human being then you should either not mod when he asks you to not mod or to mod and never speak about it and never post bug reports with your modded version (if you have the skill to mod one would assume you have the knowledge to know that your bug reports could hamper development).

I don't even understand why these people come out and post their mods publicly, are they really that altruistic or is it more of a "haha I beat your attempts to stop me" sort of thing. Maybe there is some secret conspiracy behind the scenes paying them to release their mods. Maybe they just want attention cause they don't get enough in their daily lives to satisfy themselves.

I think the biggest problem is that the last week, every morning I would wake up and start stalking Steve's posts on here to watch his bug killing progress with glee as I make mental plans for my first real game of Aurora C# when it's stable enough for me,

WHILE YALL TALKING ABOUT MODS WHICH IS DISTRACTING HIM THUS RUINING MY MORNING ROUTINE. I AM VERY ANGRY WITH YALL SO CAN YOU ALL MENTALLY CONTROL YOUR FINGERS FROM TYPING ABOUT THIS UNPRODUCTIVE STUFF AND GET MORE FOCUSED ON REPORTING BUGS, WE CAN ALL BE HAPPIER AT THE END OF THE DAY.

The following users thanked this post: space dwarf, ral02, Protomolecule

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »
Quote from: Jorgen_CAB link=topic=10785. msg123997#msg123997 date=1587054027

That doesnt mean we cant give constructive criticism about what he does.  He has no obligation to us, but we also ahve no obligation to have the exact same opinion than him on every matter.  People can disagree on stuff and still respect each other and their decisions.  I have no intention of modding unless Steve gives the OK, but that doesnt mean i dont think there are valid points to allowing mods and that i wish to discuss them. 

If he gives serious consideration to things, then even more of a reason to discuss the suvbject in a serious manner.

I respect Steve, and i also disagree on some of the things about HIS game.  If he wants, he can listen to my concerns, or he can ignore them.  But what he can't and shouldnt do, is stop me from voicing them.

We are getting off topic here this is becoming less a modding aurora thread and more a freedom of speech thread.

When Steve inevitably reads and locks this thread he is going to need to understand that as a consequence of C# being easy mod that mod discussions and even modding attempts aren't going to go away even if he wishes god themselves to smite all who attempt it.

He either needs to come up with some checksum system (not too hard to implement) to ignore modded bug reports and add a more strict format on the forums for bug reporting.

Or he does what no one wants and pulls further public releases of Aurora and keeps it to himself. Having this game being public and available on the internet is great for everyone not least of all Steve - but all great things come at a price and here we are.

I only wish the best for everyone here.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
WHILE YALL TALKING ABOUT MODS WHICH IS DISTRACTING HIM THUS RUINING MY MORNING ROUTINE. I AM VERY ANGRY WITH YALL SO CAN YOU ALL MENTALLY CONTROL YOUR FINGERS FROM TYPING ABOUT THIS UNPRODUCTIVE STUFF AND GET MORE FOCUSED ON REPORTING BUGS, WE CAN ALL BE HAPPIER AT THE END OF THE DAY.

Do not ever do this again, I even had to size down in the quote to avoid hurting peoples eyes. There are other ways to draw attention that does not affect peoples vision.

The following users thanked this post: Malorn, Franss22

Offline Franss22

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=10785. msg124013#msg124013 date=1587055073

We are getting off topic here this is becoming less a modding aurora thread and more a freedom of speech thread.

i mean, thats what it's devolved into.  On one side, people saying, hey, lets talk about mods, I have so and so opinion on it
on the other side it feels like most responses on the vein of "you're disrespecting Steve's wishes, dont discuss even the possibility of mods"

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »

i mean, thats what it's devolved into.  On one side, people saying, hey, lets talk about mods, I have so and so opinion on it
on the other side it feels like most responses on the vein of "you're disrespecting Steve's wishes, dont discuss even the possibility of mods"

Why even bother talking about mods and modding on here? The game isn't even fully out yet, Steve clearly doesn't want them, there are other places to talk about your opinions and thoughts on modding in general, etc.

All signs point to not talking about modding and mods especially ones for Aurora C# on here.
Yet here we are.

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Franss22

• Leading Rate
  • F
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »

Why even bother talking about mods and modding on here? The game isn't even fully out yet, Steve clearly doesn't want them, there are other places to talk about your opinions and thoughts on modding in general, etc.

All signs point to not talking about modding and mods especially ones for Aurora C# on here.
Yet here we are.

Because i do not lose anything by talking about it. Because i have an opinion about it. Because it can be implmented later. Etc, etc
i dont see how not talking about it helps us in any way either.
It is a topic. It has to do with Aurora. As such, we talk about it in the Aurora forums

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
Stupid thing to do, but I guess it was inevitable that someone would be stupid eventually.

We cannot do much more to stop it from happening. But we can help to crack down on it when it happens and maybe take some of that burden off for Steve. Like in this case go to Reddit and use whatever report function etc. they have to get someone with a brain to act on it a bit faster.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, ral02

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »

Yet here we are.

Because i do not lose anything by talking about it. Because i have an opinion about it. Because it can be implmented later. Etc, etc
i dont see how not talking about it helps us in any way either.
It is a topic. It has to do with Aurora. As such, we talk about it in the Aurora forums

I seem to have spent the little free time I have had today reading mod discussions, instead of bug-fixing.. Please can we avoid mod discussions on these forums so I don't get distracted due to low willpower :)

The following users thanked this post: ral02

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 12:06:47 PM »
Next person to make a thread about mods gets a timeout

The following users thanked this post: Gyrfalcon, Barkhorn, Rye123, muzzlehead, BAGrimm, ral02