Author Topic: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 73166 times)

Offline shock

• Petty Officer
  • s
Re: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
It might be the amount of resources magically produces is connected to how many components are stockpiled.  Its only at -300k now instead of over -1m.  Before i had hundreds of engines stockpiled, now im down to 75

Offline Potat999

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
I designed long range jump survey vessel with a military jump drive.   

Since it is intended to be long range, I tossed on civilian grade engines for fuel economy.

I discovered that this vessel cannot jump itself, despite the military grade jump drive having sufficient mass.   It throws a transit failure interrupt stating that there are no jump drives capable of transferring the civilian engine vessels.   OK, perhaps I was mislead by the Wiki to believe that this would work when it is not intended to?

However - the plot thickens.

I discovered that although this vessel could not do a standard transit, it CAN do a squadron transit when joined by one of my other survey vessels which has military grade engines (and no jump drive of it's own).

I assume one of these behaviors is not intended - either it should be able to standard transit by itself, or it should not be able to squadron transit with another ship?

The ship in question:
Cypelus G class Long Range Survey Ship      9 992 tons       192 Crew       936. 1 BP       TCS 200    TH 500    EM 0
2502 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 1-41       Shields 0-0       HTK 47      Sensors 24/18/2/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 4. 36 Years     MSP 10 058    AFR 799%    IFR 11. 1%    1YR 851    5YR 12 767    Max Repair 285. 8 MSP
Adept    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Morale Check Required   

J10000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Knossos Aircraft Engine Co Commercial Ion Drive  EP250. 00 (2)    Power 500    Fuel Use 7. 07%    Signature 250    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 127. 4 billion km (589 days at full power)

EM Sensor EM3-18 (1)     Sensitivity 18     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  33. 5m km
Thermal Sensor TH3. 00-24. 00 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  38. 7m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:22:49 PM by Potat999 »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2020, 12:34:01 AM »
I designed long range jump survey vessel with a military jump drive.   

Since it is intended to be long range, I tossed on civilian grade engines for fuel economy.

I discovered that this vessel cannot jump itself, despite the military grade jump drive having sufficient mass.   It throws a transit failure interrupt stating that there are no jump drives capable of transferring the civilian engine vessels.   OK, perhaps I was mislead by the Wiki to believe that this would work when it is not intended to?

However - the plot thickens.

I discovered that although this vessel could not do a standard transit, it CAN do a squadron transit when joined by one of my other survey vessels which has military grade engines (and no jump drive of it's own).

I assume one of these behaviors is not intended - either it should be able to standard transit by itself, or it should not be able to squadron transit with another ship?

The ship in question:
Cypelus G class Long Range Survey Ship      9 992 tons       192 Crew       936. 1 BP       TCS 200    TH 500    EM 0
2502 km/s    JR 3-50      Armour 1-41       Shields 0-0       HTK 47      Sensors 24/18/2/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
Maint Life 4. 36 Years     MSP 10 058    AFR 799%    IFR 11. 1%    1YR 851    5YR 12 767    Max Repair 285. 8 MSP
Adept    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 36 months    Morale Check Required   

J10000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3

Knossos Aircraft Engine Co Commercial Ion Drive  EP250. 00 (2)    Power 500    Fuel Use 7. 07%    Signature 250    Explosion 5%
Fuel Capacity 500 000 Litres    Range 127. 4 billion km (589 days at full power)

EM Sensor EM3-18 (1)     Sensitivity 18     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  33. 5m km
Thermal Sensor TH3. 00-24. 00 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  38. 7m km
Gravitational Survey Sensors (2)   2 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

100% bug, well done in spotting it.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2020, 01:06:08 AM »
Oh, is the military jump drive not being able to transit civilian engines really a bug?  Thank god, I was really hating that.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
Oh, is the military jump drive not being able to transit civilian engines really a bug?  Thank god, I was really hating that.

Double check that - I think the Bug is the multiple transit part. If I recall correctly, C# has a change where Jump Drives can only jump ships with similar drives. A Mil JD should not be able to jump a ship with Civ Engine I believe?

The following users thanked this post: TheTalkingMeowth

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2020, 12:18:54 PM »

Double check that - I think the Bug is the multiple transit part. If I recall correctly, C# has a change where Jump Drives can only jump ships with similar drives. A Mil JD should not be able to jump a ship with Civ Engine I believe?

Correct.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »
Yes, that's a change from VB6 to C# - military JD only jumps military engines and commercial JD only jumps commercial engines.

Offline Cosinus

• C
« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
The function number: 730, 722
The complete error text: 1.12. Object reference not set to an object (both)
The window affected: Tactical view
What you were doing at the time: These messages popped up seemingly randomly directly one after the other while advancing time. I did not notice anything different after the bug happened and nothing noteworthy happened before and after. The bug did not happen again so far for at least 1 in-game year.
Conventional or TN start: TN
Random or Real Stars: Random
Is your decimal separator a comma?: no
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: one off, was not able to reproduce.
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: ~24 years. This game has 4 NPRs.

I will attach a DB from the moment a few in-game days after the bug, because even though the bug did not have any noticeable consequences (so far) and is not reproducible by me, maybe other people have encountered the same bug and Steve can figure out what it is from the DB. Also Steve knows what 730 actually means.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #248 on: December 10, 2020, 03:56:23 PM »
What you were doing at the time: These messages popped up seemingly randomly directly one after the other while advancing time. I did not notice anything different after the bug happened and nothing noteworthy happened before and after. The bug did not happen again so far for at least 1 in-game year.
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off?: one off, was not able to reproduce.
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: ~24 years. This game has 4 NPRs.

I will attach a DB from the moment a few in-game days after the bug, because even though the bug did not have any noticeable consequences (so far) and is not reproducible by me, maybe other people have encountered the same bug and Steve can figure out what it is from the DB. Also Steve knows what 730 actually means.

Do you have any fleet set in auto explore?

If so it may be that.

It has been fixed for 1.13 release

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
I recently encountered two bugs at once:

The first is most obvious: the MessageBox that has popped up with the name of a ship (or fleet) in it. I don't know the exact trigger for this; it certainly does not happen every time a ship goes through a jump point, or even every time a new system is discovered. However, it did happen while the named ship (or fleet) was discovering a new system, so it does seem related to that event, or to generating the new system.

The second bug is more subtle. Behind the MessageBox, the tactical map is drawn incorrectly. In fact, it appears that the MessageBox is interrupting a process that redraws the tactical map multiple times with different data.

First, the system that the ship is leaving is being drawn, rather than the system that the ship is discovering. Second, the position of the ship is incorrect; it should be on top of the jump point. Perhaps this position is stale, and comes from the previous sub-pulse. This ship just launched those two missiles, then outraced them to the jump point (they're obsolete first-generation missiles; I must have made too many), so the ship's position has definitely been updated at least once since the start of the turn. Lastly, the lines that indicate motion are drawn incorrectly. The ship and missiles are actually moving SSW, not NNE. It looks like this is happening because the start of the line is drawn in the coordinate system of the destination star system; the jump point in the destination star system is due south of the star, and the start of that line is due south of the star in this system (it's behind the MessageBox, of course). Likewise, the missiles moved from a point to the NNE of the star in this system, and the start of their line is to the NNE of this star but at the wrong distance from the center because the scale is different.

It looks like some of the flickering during window updates is happening because the window is drawn and cleared multiple times. I don't know the Windows API very well, but I believe that you should be inhibiting paint events while updating the window. Even better I think you should use double-buffering, at least for the graphical elements if not the UI widgets.

Offline Cosinus

• C
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2020, 03:08:11 AM »

If so it may be that.

No, I don't have fleets set to Autoexplore, only to auto geosurvey and gravsurvey. The AI might have, though.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2020, 04:18:18 AM »

If so it may be that.

No, I don't have fleets set to Autoexplore, only to auto geosurvey and gravsurvey. The AI might have, though.

That error is caused by the new Refuel, Resupply, and Overhaul at Colony conditional order. It causes the ship to fail to refuel and resupply unless it's already in a system with fuel and supplies, but it still manages to go and get overhauled.

The following users thanked this post: Cosinus

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #252 on: December 11, 2020, 04:18:33 AM »

If so it may be that.

Sorry my bad, I meant grav and geo. Yes it is a known bug and it has been fixed fir 1.13, you can read it on the changelog.

No worries the game will function perfectly despite the errors that will pop up when a ship triggers the extended deployment condition and needs to move into another system to overhaul.

Offline Cosinus

• C
« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2020, 08:16:59 AM »
Bug: Refuelling tankers with tankers is nonfunctional. This makes e.g. hybrid tankers/freighters very hard to manage.

Steps to reproduce: Make 2 ship classes with lets say 1Ml fuel capacity and minimum fuel 50%. Flag both as tankers and equip both with refuelling systems. Have a fleet consisting of class A ships and have them run low on fuel, e.g. 10%. Have a class B fleet with almost full fuel, e.g. 95%. This means, the A fleet has less than minimum fuel while B has more than the minimum.
Set the B fleet to join and refuel A. -> They successfully join, but fuel levels do not change, even after waiting (as refuelling takes time).
Alternatively, set A to "refuel from stationary tankers" from B. This also does not change fuel levels even though the order is completed successfully.

Expected behaviour. In both cases the B Fleet should give fuel to A until B is at their minimum fuel or until A is full, whichever comes first.

For everyone experiencing this bug: There is a workaround. If you join A and B, then create a new Waypoint right next to them and set them to fly to the waypoint and "refuel from own tankers" this works. However it does not distribute the fuel equally among A ships and also does not work if A ran out of fuel. In this case the fleet is stuck until you tow it back.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2020, 02:32:16 AM »
In my experience (because I refilled tankers with other tankers), it works if you use 'refuel own fleet tankers'. Is that your issue?

I have a bug to report for tankers though ...

An immobile tanker but with an order with delay (like move in 2 days) is not consider immobile and won't refill anything. It means you can't automate picking up stranded ships, wait one day but with an order, then move them back.

SJW: Working as intended. If a fleet has orders, it isn't 'stationary'. I don't want to write the large amount of code required to check if a ship is actually stationary throughout the increment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:18:08 AM by Steve Walmsley »