Author Topic: Looking for Input on my next tutorial (Comprehensive Guide to Carrier Design)  (Read 2917 times)

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
I don't know if you can cover carrier design without covering fighter design to some extent.

As a newb, lo those many years ago, I remember carrier use and design was daunting.  So much to think about.  I developed a simple process that made it a lot easier.

You don't start with a carrier, or even a fighter.  You start with whatever the primary system is in the fighter.  So a beam fighter, you design the beam weapon first.  Missile fighter the missile first, and recon/early warning fighter the sensor suite you want it to hold.

Then you design the fighter to carry that package.  Then you are in a position to design a carrier that will house and deploy that fighter or some mixture of many fighters. 

I usually have 4 early warning craft, 2 rescue shuttles, some amount of attacking fighters. 

But to know how to design and use the carrier you have to know first how much fuel, msp, missiles, and hangar space you are going to need.  Which you can't know until you know what the parasites are going to be using.

I actually use this process for all design in the game now.  So a PD destroyer.  I design the main PD weapon first, them it's fire controls.  Then I start to out a ship together around that. 

It's greatly simplified the design process for me.  It made something that was really confusing, actually very straightforward, and fun.

Anyway, my 2¢

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
-snip
^This.

- This is basically how I do my carrier design, but in a different order.

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
While i can see the advantages and logic behind such a process and I may look into adding parts of it to the guide, the main problem is that I cant cover every single aspect in one video so covering carriers themselves in one video and then fighters in another will  make it much easier to digest information and understand things because otherwise its gonna be like 1 hour 30 minute long video.

But in terms of use cases, philosophy behind what you are designing and how to think around designing a carrier this is very helpful and to some extent will be covered in such a way in the guide, in aurora these concepts are rather deep/complex and i have found require multiple videos and inside each video require multiple chapters which themselves have sub chapters to be able to fully explain every detail possible.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:33:19 AM by SpaceMarine »

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
First Draft Release of Script for Upcoming tutorial, feedback appreciated.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
Hey guys its been a bit but I have practically finished the first draft script, sitting in at 4000 words, am posting it for peoples thoughs and feedback, there are already some things I do want to change but I cant spend forever on it, any glaring problems or issues il correct immediately, i still need to add sources and other things but this works as a rough first draft.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gi0QqMmZSU5vGsOy4u8OIgk0yHso6sqW-iXeOup_-5Y/edit?usp=sharing
keep in mind this will also be a full written guide once i have more time but video is priority.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:38:32 PM by SpaceMarine »

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
1st draft of new script for carrier design tutorial done, feedback welcome!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 03:41:12 PM »
Apparently the link wasnt working, again any feedback you guys have would be welcome, but you should be able to access it now.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Looks ok to me... just don't forget the mention some of the changes coming in the 1.13 changes to hangars so it is a bit more future proof.

Offline SpaceMarine (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Looks ok to me... just don't forget the mention some of the changes coming in the 1.13 changes to hangars so it is a bit more future proof.

At the start of the mechanics section i cover this fact.