Author Topic: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 92820 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: v1.13.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2021, 03:28:38 AM »
I just tried this and the Swarm appeared as normal. Did you advance time so your own forces could detect the swarm?

Yep, I advanced the time... multiple times... Did you suceed at creating it in my db?

I can't use your db as I working with v1.14 code now, but when I try this on my own database it works fine. I know you have made database changes in the past - were there any modification for this game?

Nope, this db is pure, not even a single FCT_GameLog purge yet. All I did was remove the default game in the settings after I created my own, but that shouldn't cause any problems, should it?

It actually might because I also deleted the initial game with the Terran Federation and for some reason I can't rename my save game because of it. Is there some special initialization that happens for spoilers that exists in that initial game that isn't repeated for subsequently generated games?

I should say that besides the renaming issue I haven't encountered anything else.

This shouldn't have effect IMO, I tried to generate Swarm in my game and it spawned correctly. And I also deleted the default game after I created my own.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2021, 06:13:55 AM »
In Cadbury system, many years ago, I detected an alien ground force signature.
No population, no ships, just a small ground force signature.
My geo survey ship completed the survey without incident, and found alien ruins and a potential for a geological surface survey.

Unafraid of the ground forces, I sent in xeno troops (non-combat), and after a long time they completed their work and identified the ruins: a small site with just 7 installations.
I then sent in construction troops (non-combat), and over a period of many months (maybe years) they completely excavated the ruins.
A long while later I sent in geo survey troops (also non-combat). They worked without incident for more than 3 years.
So, for many, many years, I had troops on the surface of this planet, and never had an incident with the alien ground forces.
I could still detect the signature, but otherwise there was no sign of them.

Just now, in Mabel system (5 hops away), a geo survey ship of mine was attacked and destroyed by unknown ships.
At the exact same time as this attack, the alien forces on Cadbury attacked my troops there (to disastrous effect for me, since mine were all non-combat).

I see no logical reason for the Cadbury aliens to suddenly become hostile to my non-combat forces because of something that happened five hops away.
So I'm reporting it as a bug. If this is WAI I can accept that, even if it is kind of a head scratcher.
DB is attached.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:19:52 AM by skoormit »

The following users thanked this post: Ancalagon

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2021, 08:22:23 AM »
I'm getting an endless popup of "Function #2079: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
I now have four items under "Known Ship Classes" for this race. In order listed, they are:
2x XX
4x XX
9x XX Class #4
1x XX Class #5
If you rename the classes with the missing names, does that stop the bug?
I will give it a shot.
The problem only occurs when a new ship class is detected. I have renamed those two classes, and I'll let you know the outcome when it occurs.
Giving names to the unnamed classes seemed to work--the next time I encountered a new class for this race, no errors occurred.

Sidenote: You can use the null-conditional operator (as of C# 6) to avoid these types of runtime errors. I only learned about this last year. My coworkers pointed it out after they found my obsessive null-checking amusing.  ::)

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2021, 11:46:02 AM »
My geo survey ship completed the survey without incident, and found alien ruins and a potential for a geological surface survey.

Unafraid of the ground forces, I sent in xeno troops (non-combat), and after a long time they completed their work and identified the ruins: a small site with just 7 installations.
I then sent in construction troops (non-combat), and over a period of many months (maybe years) they completely excavated the ruins.
A long while later I sent in geo survey troops (also non-combat). They worked without incident for more than 3 years.
So, for many, many years, I had troops on the surface of this planet, and never had an incident with the alien ground forces.

Just now, in Mabel system (5 hops away), a geo survey ship of mine was attacked and destroyed by unknown ships.
At the exact same time as this attack, the alien forces on Cadbury attacked my troops there (to disastrous effect for me, since mine were all non-combat).

I see no logical reason for the Cadbury aliens to suddenly become hostile to my non-combat forces because of something that happened five hops away.
So I'm reporting it as a bug. If this is WAI I can accept that, even if it is kind of a head scratcher.
DB is attached.

I believe I noticed a similar thing with Precursors. My geosurvey troops were doing their thing for a long time on a particular body, but when I brought in xeno troops and landed them, I suddenly got attacked by alien troops on the planet. It was bizarre enough that I thought it was ruin-related Robotic Defenders being activated.

I'm not a ground combat expert, but it may be because neither side was set to "attack" the other side (front line attack vs. defense maybe?) until I landed xeno troops (which I may have forgot to set to non-combat, I don't remember). That's just a guess on my part.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2021, 11:50:05 AM »
I got several error messages reading "Function #840: The given key was not present in the dictionary." I believe this is because some troop transports had been ordered to load some formations which were destroyed between when I gave the order and when the transports got around to it. Doesn't seem to have caused any lasting issues, though.

SJW: Added code to check formation exists before loading
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:42:54 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #290 on: May 21, 2021, 01:08:51 PM »
No mods, no database edits. I think I figured it out, though, and you're right -- it is an odd one. The ships I was using to drop the troops were actually alien ships that had surrendered to me. (Incidentally, they should probably be a bit more cautious about sending large, vulnerable troop transports into enemy systems.) I somehow hadn't noticed at the time, but it turns out one of them still contained an alien planetary defence regiment! It seems the game got very confused as to who the regiment belongs to. In the database it's listed under my population, but the original alien's RaceID. Not sure why this would lead to errors in the AI firing code, though -- maybe the regiment is trying to fire at me or at the Rakhas? Either way it seems the problem is with the ship surrendering code.

I've added code to remove alien ground forces from ships that are transferred to an alien race.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2021, 01:09:54 PM »
I got this function error #899 when I entered the command telling this captured ship to "Absorb" another captured fleet at the same location. It may be because this fleet is set to 0 km/sec.

How did you get the speed to zero? Ships with no engines should default to 1 km/s to avoid divide by zero errors. If you set speed manually to zero then it should be corrected to 1.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 01:12:21 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2021, 01:33:02 PM »
Adding a cargo bay to specialized commercial vessels causes them to be considered a freighter for auto-assignment purposes.

This can be observed by loading up the default game in a fresh 1.13 install and immediately designing ships with the necessary components.

Adding a cargo bay to a commercial ship which mounts any of the below components will change its designation to 'i' which I presume is the obfuscated designation for a freighter type.
  • Cryogenic Transport (should be labeled as Colony Ship)
  • Jump Point Stabilisation Module (should be labeled as Stabilisation Ship)
  • Sorium Harvester (should be labeled as Fuel Harvester)
  • Orbital Mining Module (should be labeled as Orbital Miner)
  • Salvage Module (should be labeled as 'p' which I presume to be the obfuscated definition for a salvager type)
  • Terraforming Module (should be labeled as 'n' which I presume to be the obfuscated definition for a Terraformer type)
  • Troop Transport Bay (should be labeled as Troop Transport)

This may technically be WAD, however I am submitting this as a bug because this high priority placed on a cargo module interacts poorly with the auto-assignment system, which as documented elsewhere assigns commanders to Construction (Production skill), Terraformer (Terraforming skill), Harvester (Mining skill), Miner (Mining skill), and Salvage (Production skill) before assigning commanders with the Logistics skill to any other types of ships on the (broadly correct) assumption that any non-military ship not of these types will benefit from the Logistics bonus.

The priority placed on the cargo hold component over the other components listed above does not match the documented commander auto-assignment behavior.

This is likely to confuse and frustrate players trying to play with interesting ship designs. For example, salvage ships usually are built with cargo holds to store the salvaged materials, however this behavior will ensure that a Production-skilled commander will not be assigned to such a sensibly-designed salvager because the cargo hold will take priority and label the ship as a "freighter" instead. Similarly, the not-uncommon practice of including a cargo hold on an orbital miner to tote a mass driver between mining sites will cause orbital miners to have assigned a Logistics-skill commander instead of a Mining-skill one.

As a "bug fix" I would like to see the priority of cargo holds in determining the ship type for auto-assignment made consistent with the documented priority behavior of the commander auto-assignment system.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
It seems that Auto Assign FC is still bugged and not working correctly (reported this bug in one of the previous versions). Ship in screenshot has four 10cm railguns, six 12cm railguns and four gauss turrets. For some reason, auto assign duplicates 10cm railguns and sets them for two different firecontrols at the same time.

Had the ship been refitted?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2021, 02:28:59 PM »

I then sent in construction troops (non-combat), and over a period of many months (maybe years) they compleexcavated the ruins.

DB is attached.

You didn't specifically mention it, but are the aliens in Cadbury a different race than the aliens five transits away?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
Giving names to the unnamed classes seemed to work--the next time I encountered a new class for this race, no errors occurred.

Sidenote: You can use the null-conditional operator (as of C# 6) to avoid these types of runtime errors. I only learned about this last year. My coworkers pointed it out after they found my obsessive null-checking amusing.  ::)

I have plenty of null checks in the code, but didn't bother with ClassName as it is a string data type. That is the first time I have ever had a bug in C# Aurora caused by a value type (string, int, double, etc.) being null. Something extremely odd must have happened to cause it. Anyway, it now has a null check :)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2021, 03:47:16 PM »
It seems that Auto Assign FC is still bugged and not working correctly (reported this bug in one of the previous versions). Ship in screenshot has four 10cm railguns, six 12cm railguns and four gauss turrets. For some reason, auto assign duplicates 10cm railguns and sets them for two different firecontrols at the same time.

Had the ship been refitted?

No, the ship is new construction, I was setting the firecontrols for the first time on this ship.

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2021, 03:55:08 PM »
I got this function error #899 when I entered the command telling this captured ship to "Absorb" another captured fleet at the same location. It may be because this fleet is set to 0 km/sec.

How did you get the speed to zero? Ships with no engines should default to 1 km/s to avoid divide by zero errors. If you set speed manually to zero then it should be corrected to 1.

It was a fuel harvester that the NPRs surrendered after I damaged it. I didn't modify the speed in any way, it was like that when I got it.

SJW: Can't reproduce but added extra checks in case it happens
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:30:30 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Ancalagon

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »
"Fire at Will" erroneously targets Active Sensor contacts which are outside of missile engagement range, whereas the related function "Auto Target MFC" properly respects missile engagement range when choosing targets.

I would expect "Fire At Will" to only target vessels which are within missile engagement range. I haven't noticed this problem with beam weapons and Fire At Will.

Please can you provide some detail? Range of fire control, range of missile, range of target that was selected, etc.

I belive it was approximately:

Active Sensor Range: 175 mil km
MFC Range: 75 mil km
Missile Range: 50 mil km

When I disable the 175 mil km active sensor and instead use an active sensor with just 50 mil km range (same range as my missiles), then "Fire At Will" stops targeting enemies that are outside the range of my missiles. It might have specifically been due to my MFC being longer-ranged than the missiles I had in the tubes, causing out-of-missile-range enemy ships to be targeted upon clicking "Fire At Will" (and therefore refusing to fire their missiles at those targets when I advance time).

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:36:47 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
I got some error messages reading "Function #1793: Attempted to divide by zero" while in combat with Rakhas. I think it's because one of my formations on front-line defense had zero elements: deleting the formation got rid of the error messages.

SJW: Fixed for v1.14
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 05:29:57 PM by Steve Walmsley »