Author Topic: v2.5.1 Bugs Thread  (Read 12418 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v2.5.1 Bugs Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2024, 06:29:54 AM »
I've run into two issues while attempting to figure out assault on an NPR homeworld.  I'll split the post so they're not combined.

Issue #1: CIWS are not removing missiles despite scoring kills.  I ran two tests against an NPR homeworld, one with a gauss turret vessel and the other with a CIWS vessel; I've attached annotated screenshots for both tests.
- No function number
- No error text
- No specific window
- Conventional start
- Real stars
- US decimal and time formats (I have not reconfigured for UK standards)
- Approximately 72 years into the campaign
- Campaign started on v2. 5. 1

With the gauss turret vessel, the expected occurs: the NPR fires missiles against the vessel and the gauss turrets engage, scoring kills and removing missiles.  Extra kills are instead counted as overkill (as a result, kill count never exceeds missile count) while the armour takes the remainder of the hits (in this case, 2x strength-1 impacts per leaked size-2 missile).

However, with the CIWS vessel, when the NPR fires on the vessel and the CIWS engage, a large number of kills (vastly exceeding the number of missiles) and exactly zero overkill are both recorded but no missiles are removed.  This results in every inbound missile scoring hits on the armour as if the CIWS had not fired at all despite Events showing weapons fire and kills.

Can you confirm you are on v2.5.1, as this bug was fixed for that version?

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2024, 11:38:42 AM »
The "Centre on selected body" option does not work in the mineral window when you have the wide view option selected.

SJW: Fixed for v2.6

Hi Steve, also the create colony button on the mineral window does not work if you have the wide view windows selected.

SJW: Fixed for v2.6
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 04:42:02 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2024, 04:25:56 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=13464. msg168685#msg168685 date=1708086594
Quote from: pedter link=topic=13464. msg168569#msg168569 date=1707263701
<snip>
Issue #1: CIWS are not removing missiles despite scoring kills.   I ran two tests against an NPR homeworld, one with a gauss turret vessel and the other with a CIWS vessel; I've attached annotated screenshots for both tests. 
<snip>

Can you confirm you are on v2. 5. 1, as this bug was fixed for that version?

I am indeed running v2. 5. 1; the campaign was started with and has been running the v2. 5. 1 exe exclusively (patched from v2. 5. 0).  I did make a copy of the DB before carrying on with my campaign that I've just dug up to verify (I also grabbed a fresh copy of the v2. 5. 1 exe just in case); the CIWS are still presenting the issue unfortunately.

Screenshot info:
- 93 inbound salvos with a total of 458 S2 missiles (90 of 5xS2, 2 of 2xS2, 1 of 4xS2)
- 2x 1dmg warhead each for 916 total impacts and damage
- 105 "kills" from 100x CIWS-250 but all 916 warheads impact the armour nonetheless

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2024, 09:59:14 PM »
I've hit an error while saving that I suspect is connected to a ship class design not having a valid hull classification.

Info dump:
- Error text reads "2. 5. 1 Function #1465: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "
- The error popped up from the main window during saving as an interrupt; the game went back to saving after I cleared the error
- Conventional start
- Real stars
- Approximately 77 years into the campaign
- Campaign started and running on v2. 5. 1

Roughly speaking I:
- Created a new class of ship in the Class Design window and added the modules as I needed
- Clicked on the drop-down menu to choose a hull classification for the ship
- Started typing "haul" intending to select my "Hauler  HL" classification
- Hit enter while "Hauler  HL" appeared to be selected instead of clicking on the selection

The ship class promptly disappeared from the left-hand Hull/Class tree; I was unable to dig it out again with either a newly-created "Haul  HL" classification or "Haul" classification with an empty abbreviation (the second did not create a new hull classification anyway).  After saving, exiting, and starting the game up again I found that both the vanished class as well as all other classes I had created after that point had not been saved at all; they do not even exist in the database.  If I were to presume, I'd think that saving hit an error with the vanished (invalid?) class and halted saving ship designs at that point before carrying on with the rest of the save.

SJW: Having a ship with no valid Hull ID would cause that error and result in no classes being saved. I've added a check to the save code that will substitute cruiser if the hull type is null.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 04:32:41 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2024, 05:44:24 AM »
I have run into a similar issue as this one reported in 2. 2. 1

Quote from: Desdinova link=topic=13343. msg166333#msg166333 date=1701196584
My current game seems to be stuck with an endless loop of:

Function #1954: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Function #1943
Function #478

I managed to save the db, advancing time in two 5 day increments should replicate the issue.  Unfortunately it seems as if the save has been rendered unplayable.

Started on v2.  5.  0 - upgraded to v.  2.  5.  1 this morning.    I did manage to get a save, any advancement will identify it.    It looks like I go through the #1953 - > #1943 - > #478 cycle 27 times per increment. 

DB attached in case it's helpful.

This bug seems to be caused by alien races without a class naming theme. If you suffer this bug in v2.5.1, then try setting a theme.

Oooo, so that's what was causing me so much grief in my "war of the worlds" game. Some ships entering the sensor range of the Martians would throw this error.

So, if I looked at the database and put in class naming themes where they're missing, then that might solve the problem ?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2024, 06:11:56 AM »

Function #1943
Function #478

I managed to save the db, advancing time in two 5 day increments should replicate the issue.  Unfortunately it seems as if the save has been rendered unplayable.

Started on v2.  5.  0 - upgraded to v.  2.  5.  1 this morning.    I did manage to get a save, any advancement will identify it.    It looks like I go through the #1953 - > #1943 - > #478 cycle 27 times per increment. 

This bug seems to be caused by alien races without a class naming theme. If you suffer this bug in v2.5.1, then try setting a theme.

Oooo, so that's what was causing me so much grief in my "war of the worlds" game. Some ships entering the sensor range of the Martians would throw this error.

So, if I looked at the database and put in class naming themes where they're missing, then that might solve the problem ?

You can just go on the Diplomacy window and select one - no need to touch the DB. The weird thing about this bug is that it shouldn't be possible for a race not to have a naming theme, unless its been deleted from the DB for some reason.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2024, 12:05:52 PM »

Function #1943
Function #478

You can just go on the Diplomacy window and select one - no need to touch the DB. The weird thing about this bug is that it shouldn't be possible for a race not to have a naming theme, unless its been deleted from the DB for some reason.

Could it arise from a DB version migration from a previous version where new naming themes were added? I ask because when I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 I only copied over the naming themes that I cared about, which weren't all of them.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2024, 01:54:29 PM »
Could it arise from a DB version migration from a previous version where new naming themes were added? I ask because when I upgraded from 2.4 to 2.5 I only copied over the naming themes that I cared about, which weren't all of them.

Yes, if it was the same game. The AI also uses naming themes, so it could be using one you didn't transfer.

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2024, 02:11:16 PM »

fortunately I still have the zips from when I was encountering the problem.

My problem was that in my war of the worlds game (multiple races on Earth), one of the Earth races (not the one I had control over) had for some reason not assigned a class naming theme to the Martians.

Looking at the database in FCT_AlienClass, there was a number of completely blank names for the Martian ships, and in FCT_AlienRace, the ClassNameID was set to 0 for the Martians by the NPR Earth race in question.

I changed the entry for FCT_AlienRace from 0 to 1, and that solved the problem completely.

the attached zip was when I was encountering the problem. For some reason, race 607 (Spanish empire) had assigned classnameID 0 to the Martians, and this threw errors. Changing the 0 to 1 in FCT_AlienRace seems like it solves the problem.

So it seems like sometimes an NPR will assign classnameID 0 to another alien race, and this causes a problem.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2024, 10:51:52 PM »
If you create a fighter base and land fighters on it as a squadron, then tow that fighter base to another location the fighters will be towed along as intended but will be permanently assigned to the original fleet the FB was towed from, though the game doesn't indicate this being the case in any way, the original fleet will continue to exist in the original location but will show as empty.  If this original, supposedly empty fleet is deleted, then the fighters that are now in a different fleet 2 systems away will disappear from the game.

I have also run into this issue multiple times.  The first time by towing the carrier and having the parasites revert to the previous fleet.  The second by moving the carrier to a different fleet,  deleting the now empty fleet and all the parasites,  which were in the new fleet,  being deleted as well.

Edit:  Having dealt with the issue quite a bit, it seems to be a problem with the "Release" order not proper assigning parasites and transported ground units to the new fleet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 08:35:53 AM by Silvarelion »
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks

Offline MaxKaladin

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2024, 11:49:45 PM »
I got errors saving my 2.5.1 game and now get errors loading the saved game. 

When Saving:
2.5.1 Function#3230 constraint failed
UNIQUE constraint failed: FCT_TechSystem.TechSystemID

followed by:
2.5.1 Function#1500 constraint failed
UNIQUE constraint failed:
FCT_ShipDesignComponents.SDComponentID

Game finished saving after that. 
When I try to load I get 4 errors:

2.5.1 Function #1349: An item with the same key has already been added.

Then:
Tech system does not exists for D50-1 Ship Decoy so it cannot be loaded

Then:
Tech system does not exists for D80-1 Ship Decoy so it cannot be loaded

Then:
Tech system does not exists for D99-1 Ship Decoy so it cannot be loaded

The game was a TN start with real stars and I'm about 82 years into the game. 

I HAVE been able to reproduce this.

Background and Description:  I had not used decoys up to this point and decided I need to.  I had previously researched a size 20 launcher and had queued a size 50 launcher project for research but no actual decoy missiles.  After I loaded my save last time, I quickly created projects for size 80 and 99 launchers, plus decoy missiles for size 20, 50, 80 and 99.  I played for a hour or two and when I saved, I got the errors above.  I reloaded the game and got the above load errors.  Those names (DF50-1, D80-1 and D99-01) correspond to the decoy missiles I queued up for research.  None of them had been researched at the time of the save. 

To reproduce the long way (this mirrors the sequence of what I actually did before initially getting the error except without playing a couple of hours before saving), what I did was:
  • Load my previous save
  • Click the create research project button
  • Set the company name
  • Select Decoy Launcher
  • Select Size 80 from the dropdown
  • Click Create at the bottom
  • Change size to size 99
  • Open the missile project window
  • Check the "Decoy Missile" checkbox
  • Change the decoy strength to 50
  • Change the name to D50-1
  • Change the decoy strength to 80
  • Change the name to D80-1
  • Change the decoy strength to 99
  • Change the name to D99-1
  • Open research window
  • Select a researcher (Komatsu Tadako in my save)
  • Change the research category dropdown to "Missiles / Kinetic Weapons"
  • Use "Add to Queue" to add each of the research projects above to the researcher's queue
  • Save the game

I have also been able to reproduce just by doing the following:
  • Load my previous save
  • Open the missile designer window
  • Check the "Decoy Missile" checkbox
  • Change the decoy strength to 50
  • Change the name to D50-1
  • Change the decoy strength to 80
  • Change the name to D80-1
  • Save the game

I suspect the issue is related to my trying to create multiple decoy missile projects from the window at the same time.  If I follow the same steps above except close the missile designer window and reopen it before creating the second missile, I don't get the error. 

I've attached two saves.  The one with the 2131 date is the previous save I used to reproduce.  The one with the 2132 date is the one after the save where it throws errors on load.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2024, 11:16:32 AM »
In the naval org. view if you select a ship with beam weapons (laser for example), in the ship design display tab you have the possibility to play with the target speed and range bands as in the class design window.

If you change the target speed to something else two issues occur:
1) the chance to hit along the fire control does not update.
2) the window itself freeze or something like that and if you switch to another ship you get the following error: 934 Uncorrect input string format

Same error whenever you select another ship, the only solution is to close the entire window and reopen it.

The version is 2.5.1 of course, conventional, real star.

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2024, 01:47:22 PM »
Guys, I reiterate this weird thing, It seems strange to me that none is facing this issue. Whenever I research a missile, it is not appearing for production until I reload the game.

Anyone?

Offline Arkrider

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2024, 04:59:04 PM »
A function 2407 error when designing an autocannon fighter pod. 

Steps to replicate:
1.  New game/no missiles designed yet(? not sure if really a trigger, but)
2.  Have some form of fighter pod researched
3.  Create a fighter pod using the missile design dialog; I made both 8 HS and 20 HS variations, tried all three types of fighter pod, all gave the same error
4.  Hit 'create'

Result: triggers 2407 error; however, the research task is created and selectable.  Doesn't seem game-breaking.

Offline pedter

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2024, 06:59:54 PM »
I am currently passing judgement on the atmosphere of Venus because my terraformers lack any other work.  I have discovered that the current colony cost is higher than the highest cost out of the individual potential costs; this should not be so, as current colony cost is nothing more than the maximum among the individual costs, eccentricity aside.  This appears to be rooted in the current temperature being higher than the maximum (perihelion) temperature.  I've attached a screenshot displaying this discrepancy.  Colony cost reduction tech is currently 20%.

Just in case it is relevant, my work reverse-engineering the base temperature equation found an oddity with Sol, where Venus resides; while all other systems appear to use a constant of exactly 255 in the temperature equation, Sol appears to use a constant somewhere between ~255. 13 and 255. 3406815, resulting in ever-so-slightly warmer bodies.  Perhaps the maximum eccentricity-based temperatures are using the global constant while the current temperature is using the Sol-specific value.  It's also possible my calculations for Sol were wrong (or that 255 is not actually a constant) so I'll leave my equation here as well:

Base_Temp_K = ~255 * Luminosity_Sols^(1/4) / Distance_AU^(1/2)

Info dump:
- No function number or error text
- Conventional start
- Real stars
- Approximately 79 years into the campaign
- Campaign started and running on v2. 5. 1