Author Topic: 4.46 Bugs  (Read 9427 times)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: 4.46 Bugs
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
IanD wrote:
Steve
If its any help then when I recover 20x alpha 300/7Shields the event record said recovered 20x blank. Up till now no problem in recovering components.
Thanks - that is useful information. Please let me know if you have problems with any other component types in future.

Steve

Fear above may be a red herring, had several recovered 5x, 7x, 19x, 20x, no record of anything recovered, nothing in components stockpile either.

Regards
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:42 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I found some ruins and created a 0 pop colony on it then moved a Xeno team over. The xeno team had been on planet for over a year but nothing has been said from them. I disbanded the team and reformed it on the planet but still, many months later it hasn't said diddly-squat. The summary tab still has '??' and says that a xeno team is required.
It can take a while. The annual percentage chance to complete a survey of the ruins is equal to half the team rating, so 50% for a team with a 100 rating.

Steve, for the next version, would it be possible to do the DBUpdate that you have done before? Or, if you don't mind, I could have a go at it using SQLDiff I use at work. I really don't want to loose my current setup - it is the best I have had to date!
Writing a DBUpdate isn't too difficult, assuming the changes are someting that can be made to an existing game. The main problem is remembering what I changed :). When I am in full steam ahead mode, fixing bugs and making mods, I just change the DB and the data as I need to without maintaining a record. It sounds like SQLDiff might be able to list the changes, although I don't have that software. Once v4.5 is out you could try it at work and based on the results I will see if its possible to create an update program again. I don't think there are very many DB changes for v4.5 (so far anyway). Do you happen to know if SQLDiff can also detect changes to default database values in Access as I use that functionality quite a lot?

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Quote from: "IanD"
If its any help then when I recover 20x alpha 300/7Shields the event record said recovered 20x blank. Up till now no problem in recovering components.
Thanks - that is useful information. Please let me know if you have problems with any other component types in future.
Fear above may be a red herring, had several recovered 5x, 7x, 19x, 20x, no record of anything recovered, nothing in components stockpile either.
OK, thanks for letting me know. This is a frustrating bug at the moment but I will keep trying to figure it out.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
I found some ruins and created a 0 pop colony on it then moved a Xeno team over. The xeno team had been on planet for over a year but nothing has been said from them. I disbanded the team and reformed it on the planet but still, many months later it hasn't said diddly-squat. The summary tab still has '??' and says that a xeno team is required.
It can take a while. The annual percentage chance to complete a survey of the ruins is equal to half the team rating, so 50% for a team with a 100 rating.

Steve, for the next version, would it be possible to do the DBUpdate that you have done before? Or, if you don't mind, I could have a go at it using SQLDiff I use at work. I really don't want to loose my current setup - it is the best I have had to date!
Writing a DBUpdate isn't too difficult, assuming the changes are someting that can be made to an existing game. The main problem is remembering what I changed :). When I am in full steam ahead mode, fixing bugs and making mods, I just change the DB and the data as I need to without maintaining a record. It sounds like SQLDiff might be able to list the changes, although I don't have that software. Once v4.5 is out you could try it at work and based on the results I will see if its possible to create an update program again. I don't think there are very many DB changes for v4.5 (so far anyway). Do you happen to know if SQLDiff can also detect changes to default database values in Access as I use that functionality quite a lot?

Steve

I'm in work now and started up SQLDiff but I think it only works on MSSQL servers and won't handle Access ... poop. It does handle defaults and pretty much every single option there is. I'll have a search in help/FAQ when I get more time.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »
Giving a task group a cyclic order appears to load the fleetmove table during each turn until the number of orders for a fleet exceed the index size allowance.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »
Error in CreateDesign
Error 3201 was generated by DAO.Recordset
You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'TechSystem'.

Fire 11 times, I think it is only a coincidence that research was just completed by me into power efficiency. Possibly an NPR creation event?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 02:03:50 AM »
I've tracked it down but it was a little obscure and I would never have found it without your database. When an NPR detects something interesting, it creates a point of interest for future reference - sometimes an urgent point of interest for particularly important finds.
[SNIP]
Sorry that was rather a long-winded explanation :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

This discussion reminded me of a similar yo-yo situation that I've been in before.  I'm pretty sure I've reported it, but wanted to pull it out of the noise again since people seem to be getting hung up on yo-yos.

My recollection is that an NPR had a WP into a system that I had already found, and I was picketing the WP (don't remember if it was active or passive sensors).  The problem (IIRC) is that the NPR had geo-surveyed all the bodies in the system I was in, but still kept trying to send Geo-survey ships through the WP.  So a geo-survey ship would jump into "my" system (causing an iterrupt), realize that there was nothing to survey and that there were no WP out, jump back home, then decide to jump into my system again.  This resulted in a ~10 second yoyo, and the only way I knew of to stop the yoyo was to go into the DB and delete the ship/fleet that was yoyoing (at which point the NPR would build another survey ship and send it into yoyo land).

I'm bringing this up not because of the particular failure mode (i.e. running out of surveyed planets), but rather because yoyoing seems to be a common failure mode that brings the game's updates to a screeching halt.  I think this problem needs a general solution.  The problem is that I haven't got even an inkling of an idea to suggest as to how to go about solving it - the only thing that I can think of at all is for each fleet to keep some sort of history of recent things it's tried to do, and detect repeating patterns (or just yoyos) in it.  I can see lots of problems with this idea though, so it will probably require a better solution.

Thanks,
John

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2009, 10:59:11 AM »
Error in CreateMesonCannon
Error 3201 was generated by DAO.Recordset
you cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Race'.

I just got this one as well.  Has to be an NPR because it wasn't me.

Offline tanq_tonic

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
Have a recurring error in the Officer Corps menu.

When I search for an ability, when selecting an officer from the "searched list" it errors out with:

Run-time error '30009':
Invalid Row Value

The program then bails completely out.

This tends to happen when an already-assigned officer is selected in the search window.

I cannot confirm this, but it seems to me to fail more frequently (or perhaps exclusively) when all the officers in the search selection are already assigned.

Offline ussdefiant

• Petty Officer
  • u
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
is there any particular reason why game time should suddenly be slowing down for me?

hitting the 1 day time-advance button only moves things forward 30 minutes, the 5 day button moves things forward 4 hours, and the 30 day button only does 6 hours.

I've not jumped into any new systems lately that might have Precursors or anything, although I have discovered a JP in an outlying system that strangely has a JG attached to it.

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »
Steve,this bug,ive been show more than one time..when i click "ok" several times it disappear for just one turn (velocity of the game 1 day)

"Error in CheckWPDiscovery"
Error 3075 was generated by DAO.Database
Syntax error (comma) in query expression 'SystemID=4003 and Xcor^2+Ycor^2>1,41993172289486E+18'

and then after click "ok" it comes another one:
"Error in CheckWPDiscovery"
Error 91 was generated by Aurora
Variabile oggetto o Variabile del blocco With non impostata

And r from some turns who come

Window opened: Economic,
sub window:Industry:

Hope that is something that will not last...i just begun to play the game and i'm a newcomer in this game

Thanks
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
After the problem i described in my former post, now i'm no longer able to see the Economic window, also if i try to get in it from the system maps.

Plz help!!
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
Quote from: "tanq_tonic"
Have a recurring error in the Officer Corps menu.

When I search for an ability, when selecting an officer from the "searched list" it errors out with:

Run-time error '30009':
Invalid Row Value

The program then bails completely out.

This tends to happen when an already-assigned officer is selected in the search window.

I cannot confirm this, but it seems to me to fail more frequently (or perhaps exclusively) when all the officers in the search selection are already assigned.

I have had this error a couple of times with the same officer.  He is the first one on the list, when I search for R&D skill, sorted by rank (highest).  If I select him on the resulting search list I get the error and Aurora CTD's.  If I instead go the officer list on the left hand side of the window and select him that way, then there is no CTD.  After running into this one twice for this same officer, I stopped selecting him through the search list and haven't run into it again.

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
I'm bringing this up not because of the particular failure mode (i.e. running out of surveyed planets), but rather because yoyoing seems to be a common failure mode that brings the game's updates to a screeching halt.  I think this problem needs a general solution.  The problem is that I haven't got even an inkling of an idea to suggest as to how to go about solving it - the only thing that I can think of at all is for each fleet to keep some sort of history of recent things it's tried to do, and detect repeating patterns (or just yoyos) in it.  I can see lots of problems with this idea though, so it will probably require a better solution.
I agree on the need for some type of general solution. I am not sure about checking for order repeat as a solution though as many NPR and especially civilian ships will correctly be repeating orders. The real problem is not necessarily the repeating or orders though, as it doesn't matter that much if an NPR fleet runs in circles for a while, it's when that repetition causes interrupts. I need to take another look at the code that interrupts the game after transits, etc., to see if I can make it a little more intelligent.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
I have had this error a couple of times with the same officer.  He is the first one on the list, when I search for R&D skill, sorted by rank (highest).  If I select him on the resulting search list I get the error and Aurora CTD's.  If I instead go the officer list on the left hand side of the window and select him that way, then there is no CTD.  After running into this one twice for this same officer, I stopped selecting him through the search list and haven't run into it again.
I haven't managed to find the error yet but I have added an error handler to prevent the crash to desktop. If it occurs in v4.5, at least I should have some more information.

Steve