Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 87336 times)

Offline HKZ8

• Leading Rate
  • H
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

"Can't open the database", DAO 3029
Upon "Game creation" the game crashes.
Check out Starshatter.  Newtonian physics, fleet based warfare.  Version 4. 02
hxxp: www. starshattermods. com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download. php?did=214

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #331 on: October 07, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »

"Can't open the database", DAO 3029
Upon "Game creation" the game crashes.

This could be due to installing in a protected folder, like program files on the C drive in Win7. You could try a few things like granting the aurora.exe higher rights or setting the relevant folders to read/write.

But, what I find most helpful is to install aurora on either a partitioned drive or somewhere outside program files. 

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
Some of those are from Steve's games where he had Russian ship designs/names. Any class name created never gets removed.

Actualy Steve was pretty weird with Russian orthography.  >:(

Offline scvn2812

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
I am attempting to learn how combat works by cruelly and mercilessly throwing wave after wave of my own men at what I presume to be Precursors in accordance with best practices I found in Zapp Branigan's Big Book of War.    I decided to see what would happen if I pressed the "launch missiles" button on the ship panel of my latest guinea pig, I mean valiant and intrepid band of warrior - explorers, and was informed that all the tubes could not be used due to the ship suffering from the effects of transit.    Said ship transited into the system well over three days ago.    I thought I had read somewhere that ships were only supposed to be vulnerable for 30 seconds or so, not days.    If I am mistaken in this then file this under the category of "things to tell the newbies before they serve their ships to merciless aliens on a silver platter with a side of ketchup.   " I've also placed a suggestion in the suggestion thread about a field in the ship and task force status screens declaring whether or not the ship is under the effects of transit and thus at the mercy of merciless alien butchers should any be found.   

Edit:

Ten days later and missiles still cannot be launched via the Launch Missiles button.   However, a ship was cheerfully willing to fire a volley of missiles at the jump point from the task force orders screen but after reloading, it was still claiming to be under the effects of transit when I again tried to fire missiles using the Launch Missiles button. 

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that I am running 5. 53
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:32:04 PM by scvn2812 »

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #334 on: October 08, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
I have a similar (?) bug (?) in 5.53 :

- order a TF with 1 jump ship and a survey vessel to 'standard' transit some jump point (unexplored, btw).
- the TF completes its orders on August 1st, 2048.
- split the TF : the jump ship is set to 'survey nearest survey location' (its a gravsurvey scout), the other ship is set to 'survey newt 5 system bodies' (its a geosurvey ship).
- click the 30 days (auto-turns off) button
- the game goes to September 1st, 2048 and... both ships are still waiting at the JP.  :o

The next move will be OK however so the ships are not stuck : they acknowledge their order. Only, they are waiting a full time increment before beginning to apply it. And a 1 month delay seems far too long to be a honest delay  :P

Offline user-unknown

« Reply #335 on: October 08, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
Hilarious espionage bug: my espionage team has stolen geological survey data from one of 'my valued allies' for a new system.  Intrigued, I go to the galaxy map to investigate this new data - the system is entirely empty and has no system bodies ;)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #336 on: October 08, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
I have a similar (?) bug (?) in 5.53 :

- order a TF with 1 jump ship and a survey vessel to 'standard' transit some jump point (unexplored, btw).
- the TF completes its orders on August 1st, 2048.
- split the TF : the jump ship is set to 'survey nearest survey location' (its a gravsurvey scout), the other ship is set to 'survey newt 5 system bodies' (its a geosurvey ship).
- click the 30 days (auto-turns off) button
- the game goes to September 1st, 2048 and... both ships are still waiting at the JP.  :o

The next move will be OK however so the ships are not stuck : they acknowledge their order. Only, they are waiting a full time increment before beginning to apply it. And a 1 month delay seems far too long to be a honest delay  :P

Annoying, especially when using large increments, but no bug. The ships just need one increment (5 seconds is enough) to select their survey target(s).
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline scvn2812

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #337 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
Quote from: Hawkeye link=topic=3895. msg40944#msg40944 date=1318107719
Annoying, especially when using large increments, but no bug.  The ships just need one increment (5 seconds is enough) to select their survey target(s).

For the sake of clarity, I should add that my "stuck" ships do not react at all to changes of orders regardless of how many increments they go through until they are reassigned to a new TF.  Ships with orders to move staying put for numerous lengthy increments was actually how I discovered it.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #338 on: October 09, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
I have created a small program to fix the SwarmColonyProduction bug in saved games without having to release a new database update. It is located at:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4188.0.html

Steve

Offline Lost Wookie

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #339 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
If I order a task group to transit a jump point and then immediately begin task force training on the other side, the task group will not begin flying around the system and consuming fuel as normal when training.   However, the task force training increases normally and will reach 100%.   If I order a task force to move to a jump point and begin task force training (without a JP transit) the task force moves off on a random heading and begins training as normal.   Thus I can train any size TG without fuel consumption, and it doesn't seem to be intended training behavior for TG's stationed at JP's.   This is a campaign started in 5.  5.  2 & upgraded to 5.  5.  3

Edit: My TF command is located in Sol.  The behaviour above occurs when jumping from Sol to a neighbouring system.  If I jump into Sol from a neighbouring system and order training, the fleet begins flying around and training as normal. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:47:02 PM by Lost Wookie »

Offline scvn2812

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »
When I select a ship in a task force and hit "detach" the ship at the very top of the list of ships in the task force is detached into its own TF rather than the ship I selected.

Ships that are under orders to refuel at 30% and 40% seem to be waiting too long to refuel. I will observe this more carefully, I may be underestimating how much fuel they need to get back to the tankers / Sol.

Task forces are not gaining TF experience while training. I have at least one officer in the formation and some formations have spent up to a couple months in exercises with not a fraction of a percent in TF experience gained.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:52:26 AM by scvn2812 »

Offline freakadella

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • f
« Reply #341 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »
In the Leaders window, when I change the Leader Type dropdown menu to anything else, I get the Error 3061 even though I have changed my regional settings and after clicking on "OK", I get the Error 3420.

Offline user-unknown

« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
Another thread reminded me - a few weeks/months ago, it was reported that you can manually launch homing missiles/mines etc. during the jump delay and still have them seek out their targets.  IIRC, this was mentioned as being fixed in this version, but it is still working (I tried with normal missiles with seeker heads, not sure about mines)

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »
I saw a post somewhere about this but cannot find it anymore. final fire point defence is currently not shooting anymore missiles fired point blank.

is this intentional? currently it both advantage the player and the enemy: you can't defend anymore from faster missile corvettes (well besides shooting them down), and it makes box launcher fighters exceptionally overkill.

also, another instance of slow moving targets influences freighter ciws effectiveness a lot, also makes beam weapons a bit redundant; so, is it there an official view about this?

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
v 5.52

I'm fairly certain that alien artifacts trade goods are entirely broken.  In a previous post, http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3895.msg39417.html#msg39417, I noted that under a certain circumstance the colony was not producing goods.  A second colony is also not producing these goods, and I used SM mode to generate a new ruin, rediscover it, and the colony STILL does not produce alien artifacts.

HOWEVER
there is anomalous behavior:
The shortfall and Import requirement tabs have different numbers, and the import requirement is in parentheteticals on the producing planet.  It seems like some minimal amount of demand is being met throughout the empire, but I still show zero production and my ships are not moving artifacts.

I have this same problem with game started with 5.52 and updated to 5.53

Only in Death does Duty End