Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 87327 times)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:10 AM »
I saw a post somewhere about this but cannot find it anymore. final fire point defence is currently not shooting anymore missiles fired point blank.

is this intentional? currently it both advantage the player and the enemy: you can't defend anymore from faster missile corvettes (well besides shooting them down), and it makes box launcher fighters exceptionally overkill.

also, another instance of slow moving targets influences freighter ciws effectiveness a lot, also makes beam weapons a bit redundant; so, is it there an official view about this?

If you talking about missiles that impact the 5sec cycle following their launch using the search would have revelled that this is a known condition based on the sequence of play.  The only point in the turn sequence for sensor detection is one of the last during movement and is well after movement intercepts (ie missiles hitting their target).  Since missile launch occurs during the weapons firing phase there is a 5 second window where missiles are invulnerable to point defense by the simple condition that they have not been detected yet.

Fighters, and any other ships for that matter, must be able to get to point blank range to take advantage of this.  Not an easy thing at all considering how active sensors function these days.  A few versions back it was actually the preferred method, by me at least, of attacking warships with fighters.   But when active sensors optimized for missile defense can see fighters at exponentially greater range (not really, it just seams that way) this is no longer the case.  It's also why combat beam fighters are a waste of resources...in my opinion. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Anarade Relle

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • A
« Reply #346 on: October 13, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
I ran a search for the error and I got a few hits but they were all in the 5.42 thread. This happens after I attempt to process some turns. I switched to the space race game and the error came up again.

"
Error in UpdateGameLog
Error 3049 was generated by DAO.Recordset
Cannot open database"/ It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.
"

Game version 5.53.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:11:15 PM by Powergirl »

Offline LizardSF

• L
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
I posted this in the wrong thread, earlier:

When I go to the galactic map, I get "Error 76.  Path not found in "flags\".  I do have the flags folder in the correct place, and there are flags in it.  If there's a way to correct this without restarting the game, I'd like to know.  This makes it hard to use the g-map, since this bug seems to prevent the game from saving my changes to the layout.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #348 on: October 13, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
I posted this in the wrong thread, earlier:

When I go to the galactic map, I get "Error 76.  Path not found in "flags\".  I do have the flags folder in the correct place, and there are flags in it.  If there's a way to correct this without restarting the game, I'd like to know.  This makes it hard to use the g-map, since this bug seems to prevent the game from saving my changes to the layout.

The error message should tell you the id of the flag gif that is not being found in the directory. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline LizardSF

• L
« Reply #349 on: October 13, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
Quote from: Charlie Beeler link=topic=3895. msg41196#msg41196 date=1318537074
The error message should tell you the id of the flag gif that is not being found in the directory.  

It just says "Path not found: Flags\".

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
My colonies keep resetting their source/destination/stable colonist settings.  This gets rather annoying when your colonies are nearly overcrowded anyway and the shipping lines just keep dumping more loads of colonists.

Offline Dutchling

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #351 on: October 14, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
Colonies are automatically set to destination if they have less than 10mil pop for some reason IIRC.

Offline Ashery

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • A
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
Colonies are automatically set to destination if they have less than 10mil pop for some reason IIRC.

25mil, but the 10mil threshold is still important as that's when colonists start demanding protection.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »
Seriously? That needs some adjustment.  Maybe a field in the Racial window where you can set when a colony is considered 'full' by percentage of maximum colonists allowed because of infrastructure requriements.

Offline Paul

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
I just got a divide by zero error in industry production (I forget the exact name of it, but it was the part where it runs the production on planets - I thought I took a screen capture of the error before I clicked OK via the print screen key, but it didn't make it to my clipboard for some reason).

The accompanying message in my message log is rather... strange.

"Fuel Shortage in Production of Construction Factory at Earth"

At the same time I had finished producing a large ship, which stripped the fuel supplies from the planet. Not quite sure why it would be checking for fuel in production of a construction factory though. No other construction using fuel is going on (not producing missiles or anything).

I recently used designer mode to fix a slow down in my game due to an NPR with a few hundred (literally, whoa) cargo ships sitting on his homeworld attempting to trade, but all I did was delete most of them by deleting the task groups ship and all. I wouldn't think that would have had any effect on production so im reporting it.

I made a backup of the save just in case you need it, but since the error already happened im not sure if it would help much.

Also, something strange I noticed while looking at the NPR: It was researching technologies more than once. It had a researcher with a drive technology in the queue that another researcher had already completed, and was currently researching fuel efficiency twice at the same time on the same world. I guess the NPR research AI must have a glitch in it.  Come to think of it this is another thing I changed, but I wouldn't think this would cause a problem with production either. All I did was remove the duplicate techs from the queue and research in progress, leaving the freed labs idle (they automatically assigned them to something else in the next 5 day increment).

This may be the cause of an oddity I noticed when removing the cargo ships too - they had multiple ship classes with the exact same design, and multiple duplicate engine designs. I can only assume when they researched the same drive tech twice it registered it as an advance and redesigned the ships using the new engine even though it was actually the same as the old engine.

They were also using very poor choices for researchers, using 0% and 5% bonus guys from sensors and logistics when they had a propulsion expert with 30% bonus and 30 labs researching lasers (and a laser expert with 25% bonus sitting idle, heh). I'm not sure if they actually check for bonuses though so this may be WAD.

Offline Goron

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
I get these errors every time I advance time more than 5 days (construction cycle).  It started with maybe a dozen of them but has grown over time.

Error in ApplyMaintenanceFailure
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow
Please report to hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/viewforum. php?f=11
--
Error 3021 was generated by DAO. Recordset
No current record.
--
Error 3021 was generated by DAO. Field
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
Overflow
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
Overflow
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
Overflow
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.
--
No current record.

I am all patched up to and including the swarm colony fix.
Everything seems to still work fine, it is just annoying having to click [ok] 25 times every increment.

Also, I have an issue with towing. . .  not too sure if it is a bug, though. . .  here it is anyways!
I am trying to tug an orbital habitat to another system, I can get it hooked up to the tug easily enough, and I can get it moving, but if I increment time through a construction cycle it gives me the following event:
Ship Slowed | Sol | As Eden 001 has slowed to 1 km/s due to damage, it has been detached from TG Atlas 001.
I've checked the habitat (Eden 001) and it has no damage or any other apparent reason to detach. . .  Both the tug and the OH still show as linked, despite the fact the tug can continue on its way and put millions of kilometers between it and the OH.  For now I have been manually re-absorbing the habitat into the tug's task group and that fixes the problem. . .  but it is a pain to do every time I increment time.

Offline JimBadger

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
H, I'm a newb! Amazing game, Steve, thanks so much for giving it to us!)

I've googled for this error, but the only mention of it on the forum (or in all of Google apparently) is in one post elsewhere on this forum,where the guy said it's not a repeatable bug.     

So: I was only a year or so into my first proper game, when all of a sudden, any click on any of the time increment buttons would cause a box like the following to pop up TWICE per increment:

Error in MoveToClosestItem

Error 9 was generated by Aurora
Subscript out of range

Suddenly, some months later (in-game months, that is), the problem has increased.    Now, regardless of the time increment used, every single time I advance time, I get the above box six times.   

Unfortunately I may have to re-start, because, at the moment NPR events are limiting me to 5-second increments, and I can't auto-turn through them because I have to get rid of 6 error boxes, quite literally every five seconds.      Lol :)

I have sub-pulses set to auto, and have enver even fiddled with them.     

Edit: I know what a subscript out of range is, and I can guess at what MoveToClosestItem is doing.    .    .    so, it's basically something, somewhere trying to move to something that doesn't exist.     What can be done about it?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:16:25 PM by JimBadger »

Offline JimBadger

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:10 AM »
Would it be best to start a thread for my bug, above?

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:59 AM »
No. Steve always checks this thread, but not the other threads in this section, I think.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2011, 07:26:12 AM »
No.

Mostly likely culprit is a set of task group default orders.  With any luck it's one of your TG's and not an AI NPR.  Check all of your TG's and clear your default orders and try a new cycle.  

If that does not clear the issue you'll need to find someone with the Developer password or database password that is willing to look at this for you.  Or find out if Steve is willing to provide the passwords to you.

Your only other option is a new game.