Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 87293 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #465 on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »
Just tested this by SMing an empty colony with a stockpile of 10000 sorium, 0 fuel reserve, 100 fuel refineries and enough pop to work them.

In the normal situation the mining tab shows an expected usage of 1000 and the annual production on the industry tab shows 2,000,000. Advancing time 5 days gives a production of 27,800 liters as expected.

If the stop button on the industry tab is pushed(and refresh all pushed), the expected usage drops to 0 however the annual production figure remains at 2,000,000. Advancing time 5 days gives 0 fuel production.

Hitting start again resumes production as expected. Hitting shut down of fuel refineries on the civilian/ind status tab leaves an expected usage of 1000 on the mining tab and annual production of 2,000,000 on the industry tab. Advancing time 5 days gives 0 fuel production and no sorium usage.

The main bugs seems to be the displayed sorium usage not getting removed when the fuel refineries are shut down from the civilian/ind stastus tab and projected fuel doesn't seem to get zeroed regardless of the means used to shut off fuel production.

This was tested on 5.54.

The fact that projected fuel production is shown when shut off on the Civ/Ind tab but not stopped on the industry tab is working as intended. This is to allow you to look at what the projected use of Sorium would be if you reactivated fuel refineries Civ/Ind tab. Otherwise there is no way to check this without waiting six months. If you want to remove the projected sorium use from the mining tab, just press the Stop button.

The fact the projected sorium use doesn't update immediately when pressing Start/Stop (without also pressing Refresh All) is a bug and I have fixed that for the next version.

The display of annual fuel production whether fuel is on or off was intended, although now you have mentioned it I think it does make more sense for that to show zero if production is turned off.  I've changed it so that is now the case.

Steve

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #466 on: November 20, 2011, 05:20:07 AM »
Minor bug:

I (accidently) checked the option to create newly generated NPRs as player factions and not NPRs on startup. Two supposedly conventional alien races later, I notice this mistake and manually uncheck the option so that I may have NPRs from that point on.
I go into SM and give these two empty player factions some conventional industry according to their populace and prepare invasions for these 'conventional' aliens. A short battle later I'm the proud owner of an aquatic-pictured race living on a desert homeworld with conventional industry.
The problem is: I don't have any industrial option to convert this CI to TN industry. Changing the amount of CI present didn't give me that option, so I manually freighted all the CI to my own homeworld and converted it there (where after unloading a conversion project appeared) and lifted it back. Simply lifting it off the alien homeworld and putting it back in place without moving it across half the galaxy didn't work, though. The planet was apparently completly blocked from any CI conversion projects!?

Nothing game breaking, but annoying.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #467 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
 :-[

I hadn't even noticed that button was there, tbh... heh.  I was controlling it from the civ/ind screen totally. 

The behavior does seem to conform to design as per the recent posts. 

@Vynadan:

I added CI to two planets via SM mode.  It appears that the Convert CI options does not appear until you reselect "Installations" in the construction options list. Conversely, the Convert CI options remain when you select settlements without CI until you reselect Installations.

EDIT -

I had a 3000 km/s grav scout discover a Class III Black Hole. It had a displayed speed of 0 km/s. I ordered it to go back through the warp point and did a 5 second increment. The game gave an overflow error, and the scout immediately teleported to the center of the black hole, and has stayed there since. Oo

EDIT -

I was playing around with beam fighter designs when i noticed that my size 0.1 reactor had 3 times the neutronium cost of my size 0.5 reactor.  It looks like there's a price/mineral inconsistency.
If I add the series 14 Gas-Cooled (0.1 size), it adds 0.25x Duranium 0.75x boronide 3x Neutronium and 1x build points to the design. The cost reported for the series 14 is 1.  If I add the Series 52 Gas-Cooled (0.5 size), it adds 1.75x Duranium 5.25x Boronide 0.97x Neutronium and 7x build points to the design. The cost reported for the series 52 is 7.  The neutronium isnt being taken to account in cost and is inconsistent across sizes.  If I go into Design Tech the listed Neutronium use for all size of Gas-Cooled reactors is 16.2x and is similarly irrelevant to the cost.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:21:30 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline Commodore_Areyar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • I will format your cruiser!
« Reply #468 on: November 20, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
V5.5.4

Had my main scientist vanish after finishing trans-newtonian tech. Quite annoying.

In R&D tab only the empty, unused labs and the three mediocre labtechs remain.
In the officers tab / scientists she is also not mentioned, not even as a team-member.
Event log does not mention her death or desertion, just the research breakthrough.

images of planets etc

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #469 on: November 20, 2011, 04:57:37 PM »
@Vynadan:

I added CI to two planets via SM mode.  It appears that the Convert CI options does not appear until you reselect "Installations" in the construction options list. Conversely, the Convert CI options remain when you select settlements without CI until you reselect Installations.

Works. D'oh!

Offline trespoe

• Leading Rate
  • t
« Reply #470 on: November 20, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Quote from: Commodore_Areyar link=topic=3895. msg43519#msg43519 date=1321826146
V5. 5. 4

Had my main scientist vanish after finishing trans-newtonian tech.  Quite annoying.

In R&D tab only the empty, unused labs and the three mediocre labtechs remain. 
In the officers tab / scientists she is also not mentioned, not even as a team-member.
Event log does not mention her death or desertion, just the research breakthrough.

I had the exact same problem happen twice in my game before I discovered what was going on.  I had some salvage ships gain some tech on existing research projects, and when entering Sol system they "downloaded" their tech points and I gained enough for the tech.  When that happens, the scientist working on the project vanish and the tech still appeared in my tree list of stuff to be researched still.  I had to "give" myself the tech, but lost my scientist.

Now I watch what my salvage ships bring back and go over what my scientists are working on before anything is downloaded or disassembled.  I will cancel the research if it looks to be a close call so I can keep my scientist.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #471 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
I had the exact same problem happen twice in my game before I discovered what was going on.  I had some salvage ships gain some tech on existing research projects, and when entering Sol system they "downloaded" their tech points and I gained enough for the tech.  When that happens, the scientist working on the project vanish and the tech still appeared in my tree list of stuff to be researched still.  I had to "give" myself the tech, but lost my scientist.

This is a lot better than it used to be - in the old days the whole planet would disappear! Now it's just the researcher that gets sucked into an inter-dimensional vortex :)  Steve fixed that issue, but it looks like he didn't quite get it all....

STEVE:  Looks like the old "downloading research points makes things go *poof*" bug is still around in a weakened form.

John

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #472 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:25 AM »
Version: 5.54

Problems:
Guided Missile Passive detection range incorrectly drawn with the "show passive detection range" option on system view. If I had to guess I'd say the range is being drawn as if the missiles had a minimal of a strength-1 passive sensor.

Guided Missiles appear to ignore planetary Thermal/EM signatures when looking for new targets.

The Situation:
To overcome a stiff Anti-Missile shield multiple waves of drones were launched at a way point just outside of the observed AMM range, and just inside the 'reported' passive detection range for the 800 EM active scanner on one the offending PDCs. Waypoint gets deleted, Drones look for new target... and the drones keep looking, but not moving. Further investigation then showed the true passive detection power to be less than 1/3rd that drawn: but I was still expecting them to at least head toward the bright shiny hostile planetary 4000TM/20000EM signature.

The drones have 1.1 MP each of active, thermal, and EM sensors (it was a proof of concept). They work perfectly when launched at waypoints that puts target planets within their active on board sensor range.

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #473 on: November 21, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »

Now I watch what my salvage ships bring back and go over what my scientists are working on before anything is downloaded or disassembled.  I will cancel the research if it looks to be a close call so I can keep my scientist.

For the time being until it's fixed, you could roleplay it, Think Dr Okun in Independence Day. The price for getting that new technology is the loss of one of your best scientists.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #474 on: November 23, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
Guided Missiles appear to ignore planetary Thermal/EM signatures when looking for new targets.

This is working as intended. You probably don't want your missiles attacking the nearest population if they can't find a ship, especially if the nearest population happens to be yours :)

Steve

Offline LizardSF

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • L
« Reply #475 on: November 23, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
This is working as intended. You probably don't want your missiles attacking the nearest population if they can't find a ship, especially if the nearest population happens to be yours :)

Steve

No planetary IFF signals?

Actually, I think it would be interesting if you could hack enemy IFF transponders. On second thought, that's what ECM research is for. I don't do enough ECM. (I think one of my favorite scenes in the Honor Harrington novels was when a PRH officer said something like: "Hey, the Manties phony ship signal technology is getting really good. It's almost impossible to tell these readings from real dreadnoughts. But they shouldn't have had so many of them, no one's going to be fooled by a fleet that size...")

Offline Theeht

• Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #476 on: November 23, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
Version 5.54
I found four JG 150 construction modules in a ruins.  The freighter I had on hand fit only .1 of them, but I loaded it on and sent it to my capital for disassembly.  A full one disappeared from the stocks on the planet.  When it arrived at my capital and unloaded the component, it showed up in my Stockpiles screen as 0x Jump Gate Construction Module - 150.  When I disassembled it, I got -1x Jump Gate Construction Module - 150.  Doing so again got -2x Jump Gate Construction Module - 150, etc...

Also, when I scrapped them, I lost wealth and minerals.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:33:46 AM by Theeht »

Offline Marc420

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #477 on: November 24, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
Version 5.55

Does "maximum amount to load" on Task Group orders work properly with fractions of construction factories?

Here's what I was trying to do.  Its early in my game, and I've got a tg of 3x 5kt cargo ships.  I decided to move a construction factory to another world, so I gave it orders to fully load itself with construction factories, fly to the world and unload and fly back.  Then I wanted the tg to load the last 0.4 of construction factory to complete the set, and then fill up the remaining bit with infrastructure.

What happens instead when I try this is that I get a tg with 0.6 Construction factories loaded and an error event telling me that the tg couldn't execute the order to load the infrastructure.

Right now, I've got a whole set of ship's crews and space longshoremen (longspacemen?) all mad at the frackin admiral because I just made them spend two days unloading the 0.6 construction factories that they had just finished loading, and then spend another two days loading them back on the same three ships just like they were by issuing another "load construction factories x0.4 from earth" command.  They are threatening to go on strike, but they loaded the same 0.6 Construction factories on to the tg again.

And yes, I know it gets simpler when you can build 25kt cargo ships and put your 5kt cargo ships into groups of 5. But, its early game.  These are the first cargo ships I built before I figured out most of my good neighboring worlds are in a nebula.  So, I've got four of these things.  One spends its time picking up minerals from auto-mines and also shuttling stuff to the one non-nebula system I've settled.  These other three are in a tg together and are shuttling more stuff to the non-nebula system.  I'm not going to retool a shipyard to build a 5th obsolete freighter that only works in a part of my growing empire.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #478 on: November 25, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
Does "maximum amount to load" on Task Group orders work properly with fractions of construction factories?

In my personal experience, no. The "maximum amount to load" seems to work for only integer values. So if you had 3x 10k transports ordered to load 1x factory they would load 1x factory and not 1.2 factories.

Its even more annoying when a mass-driver gets lost in fractional rounding.

Edit: Speaking of fractional trouble:
Version 5.54
Fractional Research-Labs trigger 'Inactive Research Lab' Interrupts. I'm currently relocating 2 research labs discovered on an abandoned ruined city, and am rewarded with "0.3 Inactive Research Labs" etc messages every 5-day cycle. Since I haven't figured out how to assign fractional labs to a project I'm blocked from using both 30-day or 5-day auto-repeating increments until the relocation is completed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:56:44 AM by sublight »

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #479 on: November 25, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
Designing a monsterous ship in my most advanced game. Its target tonnage is a million tons and it's a command ship for my military. I actually designed an equally monsterous jump engine for it so it could jump.
However, whenever I put it into the design I immeadetly received an overflow error. The jump drive was 40kt large and the current design had roughly 280kt.
Once I had put other stuff into the design (reaching about 950kt) and inserted the exact same jump drive, I didn't receive an overflow error anymore.

Might this be related to the overflow damage allocation error with Precursor orbital habitats in the previous versions? I'm puzzled why I'd receive an error in the early design stage when the jump drive takes up a higher percentage of the overall design, but not when it's but one of many components. I'm currently retooling my shipyard and will be building the prototype over the next couple ingame years (with a jump drive) and let it get shot at ...