Author Topic: Organic Technology vs. Computerized Automation (split)  (Read 12840 times)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Organic Technology vs. Computerized Automation (split)
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
>> Humans take far longer to self-repair then it takes us to repair just about anything

Handy to be able to self repair, so you can drag yourself over to your broken machinery and use external work rather than totally internalised resources to fix it, though
Yes, but if it takes your living ship twice as long to heal as it takes for my ship to repair at the yard, who wins?

I kind of liked this one:  If the technology is eventually developed certain self repair in the field in twice the time would, indeed, be superior to returning to a navel yard for mechanical repairs as long as the travel distance to and from the SY was less then the 2-fold increase in repair time.  Even if the healing system took longer there is something positive to be had in a system that would allow you to remain on post, although in a reduced capacity, and maintain your presence for defense and whatnot.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
I kind of liked this one:  If the technology is eventually developed certain self repair in the field in twice the time would, indeed, be superior to returning to a navel yard for mechanical repairs as long as the travel distance to and from the SY was less then the 2-fold increase in repair time.  Even if the healing system took longer there is something positive to be had in a system that would allow you to remain on post, although in a reduced capacity, and maintain your presence for defense and whatnot.

This neglects the other drawbacks involved in it.  I wasn't trying to put a hard number on the time difference, as I don't know those.  Also, the self-repair mechanism must be close to the hull, and thus vulnerable to radiation.  An enhanced-radiation warhead should disable it even if the other side loses.  Plus, the self-repairer has to be fed, and how good of armor does it make, anyway?  The equivalent of modern steel?  Unlikely.
Wikipedia gives the growth rate for coral reefs as at most 9.8 inches per year.  That's not very good for closing a hole, is it?  To be useful, it's likely to take at least two if not three orders of magnitude improvement on that number.   And that ignores all of the various bits inside which have to fix themselves as well.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2012, 04:58:45 AM »
>> For macro scale manufacturing, the current processes will remain in use.

Maybe. Every large scale creature uses nanoscale manufacturing techniques. Whilst the natural versions of those technique are undoubtably slower than, say, casting them in bronze, with a bit of intelligent development, we can probably learn to speed that up quite considerably, and make it work on a more suitable timescale

>> The organism does not use the temperature, which is a side effect of the cavitation bubble.
>> It's in a very small area, so the actual energy content is tiny.

The fact that it has acheived a startling high energy density with almost no energy doesn't earn it even a small salute? We need a whole plasma reactor or similar to get the effect

>> Biomecanical tricks can only take you so far.  For spaceflight, or anything approaching it, you need an engineer's solution.  How do you propose to make some sort of space vessel using these biomechanical tricks

Making a space vessel isn't that hard in theory. It needs to withstand whatever internal pressure you choose, withstand very low external temperatures, and either have an internal source of heat, or just cheat and hibernate the whole way. We have to build a (quite expensive) cryotube to do a job organic systems worked out millions of years ago. Getting into space is a different matter, 7 miles/s is currently beyond organic tech, but it's been beyond metaltech for most of history too. I wouldn't bet against it being possible to put a purely or mostly organic object in orbit

>> And another is?  Waving your hands about "biomechanical tricks"?  I'm getting annoyed with this disdain for engineering.  If you have a better idea, tell us

Engineering is generally a quite linear method. Cause >> effect, and only that effect. Biology doesn't work like that. When the structure of DNA was worked out, everyone got excited becuase we'd soon be able to "read the book" on humans, and understand everything. Only it doesn't work that way. Genes are not single function. They can do multiple jobs in a single organism. They can do different jobs in different organisms. We share 60% of our genes with fruit flies apparently http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/647139.stm, but we have an endoskeleton, no wings, spherical lensed eyes, lungs. Very different, but built using a lot of the same instructions.

There's nothing wrong with engineering, but it's not the only possible approach

>> That said, I believe the original intent (technology that is alive) was clear when the statement was made from the context.

"Alive" is a tricky concept, as I said. In the last 3,000 years or so, the finest scientific and philosophical minds humanity has produced have failed to come up with a truly satisfactory definition. The problem is coming up with a definition that includes viruses and prions but excludes fire, for example.  Being organic is a pre-requisite for all life we are aware of, but not all organic material is alive

>> And the point is?  We do maintain horses, for any number of reasons.

You were representing shoeing and deworming as necessary for horses to be useful, which isn't the case. Doing those things makes them more useful to us, but they are not the basis of the horses utility, as you implied. Nor is domestication even an absolute requirement for utility. You can catch and kill a wild horse, and it's useful as food exactly as it is. You could never say the same for any ICE, however advanced

>> Because "never breaks down" is a legitimate design criteria

It's also an impossible one, as I'm sure you are aware. Entropy always wins, however long you stave it off. Organic systems do evolve, but only part of the population evolves. We can still find examples of what may be the earliest forms of life on Earth, right alongside more recently evolved examples, and they have survived for 4 billion years, largely unchanged today because they found a neat biomechanic trick for beating entropy : reproduction

>> To clarify: organotech refers to sci-fi type "living technology"

You're creating a false distinction. If it uses carbon as a necessary component, it's organic tech, by definition. It may also be alive, or not, but you have to be careful defining life. Consider a pencil. It has a wooden shell (organic, essentially sugar) and a graphite core (almost pure carbon, and hence organic). A pencil is clearly not alive. But if you put it into a bacterial digester which can break it down, and use those organic components to make new bacteria, you haven't changed the individual atoms, just rearranged them into a configuration we are pleased to label "life". If you extracted a carbon atom at random from the output, it would be impossible to say whether it came from the pencil or not. Life is not all that special, in that sense

>> Carbon fiber does not count

You are of course entitled to your opinion. The rest of science will hold its' own counsel

>> Yes, but if it takes your living ship twice as long to heal as it takes for my ship to repair at the yard, who wins?

Dependent on context. If I can heal in place, or in any random location I like, that's quite flexible. Going back to a yard introduces a locational constraint on your repair capabilities. If I destroy your yard, or even just deny you access to it, you have no options at all. Who wins then?

>> Because bacteria are remotely suited for structural use how?

An individual bacteria, not so much. But the trait could potentially be transferred to a more structurally useful organism. This is one of the fundamental strengths of organic tech, flexibility

>> Also, the self-repair mechanism must be close to the hull, and thus vulnerable to radiation.

That's an interesting use of the word "must" given that no organic self repair system we know of works that way. I've also already demonstrated that organic systems have the capacity (although it's not necessarily present in a given system) to be more resistant to radiation than any conceivable metaltech equivalent

>> Wikipedia gives the growth rate for coral reefs as at most 9.8 inches per year.  That's not very good for closing a hole, is it?  To be useful, it's likely to take at least two if not three orders of magnitude improvement on that number.

And certain species of bamboo grow a metre in 24 hours. Oh look, an improvement on your cherry picked number of two if not three orders of magnitude

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2012, 08:09:44 AM »
The one thing that I think was missed long ago is this:  Profit motive.  Centuries ago it was established that if a person creates a metaltech (to use byrons term) object that person gets to lay claim to that object and directly profit from it more or less.  Today we call it a patent.  This created an environment fostering metaltech design and since then objects have been improved and refined in the name of making a better object for making more money. 

Herein lies the problem.  Byron keeps going back to insufficient development on Organotech as a reason to avoid using it and he is partially right.  But it was only recently (I think 1982) when an individual plant gene was allowed to be patented.  Organic technologies, in respect to food production, were only openly commercialized 30 years ago and that opened the door to the commercialization of new organic based technologies that no one had considered before.  Our industrial and research capacities today are collectively much greater than 100's of years ago, but 30 years of applied research cannot possibly make up for the loss of hundreds of years of human ingenuity.  We won't need to wait 100's of years to see results as organotech is advancing by leaps and bounds (or orders of magnitude X) due to this increased R&D capacity. 

Bottom line: there has been a lag in commercial development of organic systems that is only recently being addressed.  Give it a little time.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
Maybe. Every large scale creature uses nanoscale manufacturing techniques. Whilst the natural versions of those technique are undoubtably slower than, say, casting them in bronze, with a bit of intelligent development, we can probably learn to speed that up quite considerably, and make it work on a more suitable timescale
We use nanoscale techniques because we are built on a nanoscale.  A piece of steel is not.

>> The organism does not use the temperature, which is a side effect of the cavitation bubble.
>> It's in a very small area, so the actual energy content is tiny.

The fact that it has acheived a startling high energy density with almost no energy doesn't earn it even a small salute? We need a whole plasma reactor or similar to get the effect
What?  No, it happens unintentionally all the time.  Cavitation is also caused by things like ship's propellers.  And I do find the ability to create and use cavitation bubbles impressive.

Making a space vessel isn't that hard in theory. It needs to withstand whatever internal pressure you choose, withstand very low external temperatures, and either have an internal source of heat, or just cheat and hibernate the whole way. We have to build a (quite expensive) cryotube to do a job organic systems worked out millions of years ago. Getting into space is a different matter, 7 miles/s is currently beyond organic tech, but it's been beyond metaltech for most of history too. I wouldn't bet against it being possible to put a purely or mostly organic object in orbit
And how does this organic vessel move?  To get anywhere with any speed requires a metaltech engine.

Engineering is generally a quite linear method. Cause >> effect, and only that effect. Biology doesn't work like that. When the structure of DNA was worked out, everyone got excited becuase we'd soon be able to "read the book" on humans, and understand everything. Only it doesn't work that way. Genes are not single function. They can do multiple jobs in a single organism. They can do different jobs in different organisms. We share 60% of our genes with fruit flies apparently http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/647139.stm, but we have an endoskeleton, no wings, spherical lensed eyes, lungs. Very different, but built using a lot of the same instructions.

There's nothing wrong with engineering, but it's not the only possible approach
Because humans designed living organisms.  You do know what they call people who work with genes?  Bioengineers.  

You were representing shoeing and deworming as necessary for horses to be useful, which isn't the case. Doing those things makes them more useful to us, but they are not the basis of the horses utility, as you implied. Nor is domestication even an absolute requirement for utility. You can catch and kill a wild horse, and it's useful as food exactly as it is. You could never say the same for any ICE, however advanced
Did you even look at the context.  I was not discussing general utility.  I was discussing utility as a source of motive power.  And in those circumstances, shoeing greatly enhances the utility of the horse.  An ICE can go without maintainence, too, and probably will last about as long.

>> Because "never breaks down" is a legitimate design criteria

It's also an impossible one, as I'm sure you are aware. Entropy always wins, however long you stave it off. Organic systems do evolve, but only part of the population evolves. We can still find examples of what may be the earliest forms of life on Earth, right alongside more recently evolved examples, and they have survived for 4 billion years, largely unchanged today because they found a neat biomechanic trick for beating entropy : reproduction
Do you not understand sarcasm?

>> To clarify: organotech refers to sci-fi type "living technology"

You're creating a false distinction. If it uses carbon as a necessary component, it's organic tech, by definition. It may also be alive, or not, but you have to be careful defining life. Consider a pencil. It has a wooden shell (organic, essentially sugar) and a graphite core (almost pure carbon, and hence organic). A pencil is clearly not alive. But if you put it into a bacterial digester which can break it down, and use those organic components to make new bacteria, you haven't changed the individual atoms, just rearranged them into a configuration we are pleased to label "life". If you extracted a carbon atom at random from the output, it would be impossible to say whether it came from the pencil or not. Life is not all that special, in that sense
Have you ever considered the fact that there might be a definition for the word "organic" besides the one taught in chemistry?  Another one is "Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms" which is the one I have been using the whole time.  I'm fairly sure everyone else figured that out after my first post.  

>> Yes, but if it takes your living ship twice as long to heal as it takes for my ship to repair at the yard, who wins?

Dependent on context. If I can heal in place, or in any random location I like, that's quite flexible. Going back to a yard introduces a locational constraint on your repair capabilities. If I destroy your yard, or even just deny you access to it, you have no options at all. Who wins then?
This assumes the entire ship can self-repair.  Any high-energy system will be (by you own last post) metaltech, so it will also need yard work.  Ship repair involves more then sealing hull breaches.

>> Because bacteria are remotely suited for structural use how?

An individual bacteria, not so much. But the trait could potentially be transferred to a more structurally useful organism. This is one of the fundamental strengths of organic tech, flexibility
Maybe.  Or maybe not.  I'm not sure about the magnitude of radiation resistance of these things.

>> Also, the self-repair mechanism must be close to the hull, and thus vulnerable to radiation.

That's an interesting use of the word "must" given that no organic self repair system we know of works that way. I've also already demonstrated that organic systems have the capacity (although it's not necessarily present in a given system) to be more resistant to radiation than any conceivable metaltech equivalent
What do you mean?  If it has to fix the hull, I'm going to assume that it's going to be part of it.  Unless it's actually a biological damage control team, which we already have.

>> Wikipedia gives the growth rate for coral reefs as at most 9.8 inches per year.  That's not very good for closing a hole, is it?  To be useful, it's likely to take at least two if not three orders of magnitude improvement on that number.

And certain species of bamboo grow a metre in 24 hours. Oh look, an improvement on your cherry picked number of two if not three orders of magnitude
Coral was mentioned upthread by someone else.  Also, it strikes me as being more suitable for starship hulls then bamboo.

As a warning, I'm very close to terminating this debate.  You persist in misinterpreting my statements even after I've clarified them several times.  I'm not sure if you're a troll or an idiot, but I'm going to give you one last chance.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 08:17:34 AM »
The one thing that I think was missed long ago is this:  Profit motive.  Centuries ago it was established that if a person creates a metaltech (to use byrons term) object that person gets to lay claim to that object and directly profit from it more or less.  Today we call it a patent.  This created an environment fostering metaltech design and since then objects have been improved and refined in the name of making a better object for making more money. 

Herein lies the problem.  Byron keeps going back to insufficient development on Organotech as a reason to avoid using it and he is partially right.  But it was only recently (I think 1982) when an individual plant gene was allowed to be patented.  Organic technologies, in respect to food production, were only openly commercialized 30 years ago and that opened the door to the commercialization of new organic based technologies that no one had considered before.  Our industrial and research capacities today are collectively much greater than 100's of years ago, but 30 years of applied research cannot possibly make up for the loss of hundreds of years of human ingenuity.  We won't need to wait 100's of years to see results as organotech is advancing by leaps and bounds (or orders of magnitude X) due to this increased R&D capacity. 

Bottom line: there has been a lag in commercial development of organic systems that is only recently being addressed.  Give it a little time.
That's not the case, though it is an excellent point.  When I say organotech, I mean living equivalents of metaltech.  I do not mean biotech as the phrase is used today.  The problem with organotech is that it is so far behind, and so much money will have to be poured into it to make a profit, no investor will touch it.  Again, this is the living equivalent of an ICE, not a new drug.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
Gentlemen:  Please remember the rules - no flames!

Thank you,
John

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
Yes, lots of money will need to be spent and is being spent.  Right now select few companies are spending ridiculous amounts of money on such endeavors.  Monsanto, horns and all, is spending ludicrous amounts of money in bio-tech areas as we speak.   Most of the R&D is being performed in University Labs under the guise of education and non-profit organizations to reduce expenses.  Like metaltech we have to get a firm grasp on the core technologies to advance development.  Baby-steps if you will.  Bio-tech, GMOs, and the like are the precursors to perfecting living technologies for our own use.  If we can engineer a plant gene to be 100% impervious to the effects of a specific herbicide on damaging it's ability to replicate how much of a stretch is it to engineer that same plant to be impervious to radiation damaging it's ability to replicate?  and the now not so great of a leap to a applying that ability to non-plant species?  

The thought makes me smile.  One of the major drawbacks to space exploration is bringing along enough food, water and air for travel or bases.  The size of the craft at current technologies is a limiting factor.  If plants can be grown without need for radiation shielding that is a huge step in the right direction and also provides a renewable source of life support without the need for infrastructure to protect from radiation from that portion of the ship/base.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 08:58:39 AM »
Gentlemen:  Please remember the rules - no flames!

Thank you,
John

So far this is the most civil forum discussion I have ever participated in.  ;)

Although, I really wish people would stop the multi-quote posts and just post a continuous thought instead of numerous line-by-line rebuttals. 

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Yes, lots of money will need to be spent and is being spent.  Right now select few companies are spending ridiculous amounts of money on such endeavors.  Monsanto, horns and all, is spending ludicrous amounts of money in bio-tech areas as we speak.   Most of the R&D is being performed in University Labs under the guise of education and non-profit organizations to reduce expenses.  Like metaltech we have to get a firm grasp on the core technologies to advance development.  Baby-steps if you will.  Bio-tech, GMOs, and the like are the precursors to perfecting living technologies for our own use.  If we can engineer a plant gene to be 100% impervious to the effects of a specific herbicide on damaging it's ability to replicate how much of a stretch is it to engineer that same plant to be impervious to radiation damaging it's ability to replicate?  and the now not so great of a leap to a applying that ability to non-plant species?  

The thought makes me smile.  One of the major drawbacks to space exploration is bringing along enough food, water and air for travel or bases.  The size of the craft at current technologies is a limiting factor.  If plants can be grown without need for radiation shielding that is a huge step in the right direction and also provides a renewable source of life support without the need for infrastructure to protect from radiation from that portion of the ship/base.

Again, there's a world of difference between biotech and organotech.  However, that's not the main point.  I have the perfect example of alternate technologies not being developed.  The steam engine.  At one point, steam powered automobiles were available.  With sufficient money (considerably less then is required for organotech) it could be competitive with the ICE.  However, nobody has been willing to spend that much.  What makes you think that organotech will be different, particularly given how much more work there is to do, and how much less certain we are that it's even possible.
Also, I've stated that biotech is not useless, and a contender for things like life support.  The radiation-resistant plants are a really good idea.  The only possible problem is neutron activation, which would make them difficult to eat.  Also, I believe that plants are significantly more radiation-resistant then humans, so I'm not sure it's needed.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
Reading this discussion in a British accent is highly entertaining, especially the quasi-insults ("And another is?  Waving your hands about "biomechanical tricks"?")

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
British accent.  lol  This whole time I have been reading the forums I do that.  From my initial exposure to Aurora I knew Steve to be a citizen of the UK and have always read it with that dialect.

Vast resources were spent on steam engine R&D.  It is still being developed on a massive scale even today.  I think the major drawback on steam at the time you are thinking was efficiency at the sized needed for a auto.  So much of the energy produced in a steam engine of a scale small enough for personal transportation was lost to heat that had to be vented that it rendered it impractical.  It is a technology that scales well though.  Larger containment systems that were able to capture and retain that heat and effectively "reuse" it were impressively efficient.  Much to my chagrin it made it so efficient that we continue to use the modern day equivalent for a huge portion of our power world-wide.  Millions (Billions?) of dollars have been spent on clean-coal research and methods to scrub emissions from coal plants.  One of my favorite techs being actively developed right now in my home city has been algae CO2 farms.  The emissions from coal burning plants are pumped through algae vats and the extremely CO2 rich air causes explosive algae growth.  The algae is then refined for ethanol and the air being vented from the algae farms is vastly cleaner, neigh comparable to the air that was being fed into the combustion chambers initially.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
So far this is the most civil forum discussion I have ever participated in.  ;)

Although, I really wish people would stop the multi-quote posts and just post a continuous thought instead of numerous line-by-line rebuttals. 

Unfortunately, this is starting to get quite vitriolic for these forums ;)

As John said, no flames. Or I break out the trout and start fish-slapping people.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Vast resources were spent on steam engine R&D.  It is still being developed on a massive scale even today.  I think the major drawback on steam at the time you are thinking was efficiency at the sized needed for a auto.  So much of the energy produced in a steam engine of a scale small enough for personal transportation was lost to heat that had to be vented that it rendered it impractical.  It is a technology that scales well though.  Larger containment systems that were able to capture and retain that heat and effectively "reuse" it were impressively efficient.  Much to my chagrin it made it so efficient that we continue to use the modern day equivalent for a huge portion of our power world-wide.  Millions (Billions?) of dollars have been spent on clean-coal research and methods to scrub emissions from coal plants.  One of my favorite techs being actively developed right now in my home city has been algae CO2 farms.  The emissions from coal burning plants are pumped through algae vats and the extremely CO2 rich air causes explosive algae growth.  The algae is then refined for ethanol and the air being vented from the algae farms is vastly cleaner, neigh comparable to the air that was being fed into the combustion chambers initially.
I am aware of industrial steam power (which is technically steam turbines instead of steam engines). I was speaking particularly of steam cars, for which my point stands.

And I apologize for any vitriol.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
No apologies needed for me specifically.  I have a fire-retardant internet suit.

So, how exactly would steam power work in zero G?  The combustion of the fuel would be the same and heat created is no different.  Without the stratifying effect of warmer air rising over cooler air could it even function?  An ICE literally wouldn't work without a radical redesign in the fuel delivery system but a steam turbine might.