Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 49971 times)

Offline draanyk

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
Re: Change Log for 6.00 discussion
« Reply #330 on: November 09, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
Quote from: Gidoran link=topic=4837. msg55680#msg55680 date=1350142025
I don't believe they do.  A design I hashed together in my initial test campaign had some engines, cryostorage, and an orbital habitat intended to be a mobile shore leave point for fleet trains, but it didn't seem to require leave itself.  Might be wrong, I didn't play around too much; too busy trying to figure out how to into missiles.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, ships with orbital habitats still require shore leave, unfortunately.  I built a 400k ship with an orbital habitat and designed it for 1 month deployments, intending it to cover jump points, but it still has morale drops in the second or third month.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #331 on: November 09, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
Well that's your problem, you can't orbit/have a colony on a jumpoint.
Orbital habs only add population capacity to colonies, they don't function as independent space stations unfortunately

Offline draanyk

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #332 on: November 09, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »
Quote from: Conscript Gary link=topic=4837. msg57200#msg57200 date=1352487760
Orbital habs only add population capacity to colonies, they don't function as independent space stations unfortunately

Ah.  So much for that idea.  Thanks for the feedback.  I have a further question on this, but it should probably be in The Academy, so I'll post it there.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
Asteroid miners seem to have a new lease on life, especially in conventional starts with the new fuel rules.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2012, 02:55:13 AM »
There needs to be some new conditional orders and move orders included for 6.00 since crew morale is in for micromanagement reasons

Condition:
If Morale below 100% return to colony for shore leave (once complete it then logs it)
If Morale below 75% return to colony for shore leave
If Morale below 50% return to colony for shore leave

Move order (like overhaul)
Go to planet for shore leave (once complete then moves onto next task)

--------------------------------------------------------------

While we are at it a Conditional order of
If Fuel is less then 50% and Supply less then 20% (etc etc as we now have once less conditional statement based on above)

Also a Refuel and Resupply move order or conditional order, to save time instead of plotting two.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #335 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26:56 AM »
You could just go one step further and make it be 'If (fuel =< 50%, supply =< 20%, morale =< 90%) {Refuel, Resupply, and wait for (months necessary) at nearest colony}', which would let some of the other conditionals be useful.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #336 on: November 12, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »

I really wish this would be changed, or that steve adds in independent space stations, so we could have trade stations in remote sectors without planets and such

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #337 on: November 12, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
I really wish this would be changed, or that steve adds in independent space stations, so we could have trade stations in remote sectors without planets and such

Just some background on one of the reasons for Steve not having changed this quickly.  My recollection is that a problem is that you can think of two types of man-made "counters" in aurora: populations (which are bound to bodies) and TG (which hold ships).  The problem is that a lot of the things that people want to do with deep space bases are functions of populations.  Because a population must have an associated body (otherwise lots of things go wrong in lots of places), it would be VERY difficult to change the code so that one could designate a deep-space ship as a population.  So the best Steve is likely to be able to do is have TG containing "base" ships that never need to land, rather than full-blown populations.

Caveat:  All of this is based on a vague recollection of something Steve said a year or two ago.

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
ON THE TOPIC OF THE NEW FIGHTER BONUS:

Boy, wouldn't that be something if the bonus also applied to missile evasion?  As in, boy, that could sure make beam fighters awfully feasible...

Offline toddrcpa

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
Will version 6. 2 require a re-start of games?

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Will version 6. 2 require a re-start of games?
Yes.  Any time the first or second digit of the version number changes, you have to re-start.  (Going from 5.55 to 5.60 does, going from 5.55 to 5.56 does not.)
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #341 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Either the main version number (left of decimal) or the first decimal to the right means that the database as well as the program .exe file are replaced.  If the new version is just a bump of the second decimal only the .exe file is replaced.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline tryrar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
Heh, liking the idea of the new recreation modules.

Uusually, in aurora, you have to find the party, but IN SOVIET AURORA the party fin-*is shot*

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
This also means you no longer have to haul a couple of habitat modules around so you can get your ships time off on the frontline even when there are no even vaguely inhabitable planets around for several jumps. It also means that black holes and nebulae aren't going to be as big a barrier either.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #344 on: November 18, 2012, 05:11:21 AM »
Doesn't this change mostly negate the entire crew morale change? Now you just take one extra ship around per sector with fleet and you don't have to worry about it.