Author Topic: Populations  (Read 5639 times)

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
Re: Populations
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Can you explain to me exactly what goes to the Academy and what goes to Mechanics forum? i feel a bit lost.

And there was i thinking about adding 12 factions, lol

Anyways, it must be NPR anyway, i do not have an specific story in mind, it will be the story of one of those colonial factions strugling to survive on this planet after the fall of their civilization, think of Alpha Centauri, but without all the gaia-theory story elements, just a single, geopolitical struggle that can (and almost centainly will) escalate to stellar proportions. :v

You said it was slow playing NPRs on the planet, then i will add just a few factions then, it will help me, because i will have less background to cover.

Finally, another question: there is an upper limit of population that a single planet can support?

Academy is basically the newby questions forum. Whereas mechanics is specifically for discussing the harder mechanics of the game. Although often they step on eachothers toes, and well it can be confusing. Basically the ship design ant tactic forums are specificalyl for discussing ship designs and their merits, and tactics though.

"Empires" there's no reason why you can't have 12 different empires on a single planet, all SM controlled. Ofcourse this is a bit of a clusterfrakk but gives some options for what to do. You just have to get adept at switching between the factions in menus and controlling them. Generally something you might try after you've got the basic mechanics of the game down.

As far as the "upper limit" of a planet.
If the planet has a colony cost of 0, its limitless AFAIK, just how long you want to let the pop expand.
If it has a colony cost, its limited by how much population can be supported by the infrastructure present. Now this is important in a few ways. 1 even if you don't have enough infrastructure to support it, civilian colony ships will often still bring colonists to the planet and cause "unrest" issues due to overpopulating. This can be stopped by say setting the colonists source to be destination. however that sucks if trying to build up a couple planets at a time.

Part of my personal thoughts on early colonization. In the opening stretch of the game I'll generally build a supply of infrastructure to plop on the moon supporting ~10-20million colonists. From there, a combination of terraforming and civilian infrastructure (colonies will slowly generate their own infrastructure, if its needed, and civilian transports will move it to where it is needed), by the time luna hits a colony cost in the 0.1-0.5 range, it generally has tens of thousands of infrastructure, that can now be shifted to other colonies as needed. Might take a numbe rof years to do this, but that initial nest egg of infrastructure I made early on, easily can make further expansion outside of Sol extremely easy.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 03:18:21 PM »
Academy is basically the newby questions forum. Whereas mechanics is specifically for discussing the harder mechanics of the game. Although often they step on eachothers toes, and well it can be confusing. Basically the ship design ant tactic forums are specificalyl for discussing ship designs and their merits, and tactics though.

"Empires" there's no reason why you can't have 12 different empires on a single planet, all SM controlled. Ofcourse this is a bit of a clusterfrakk but gives some options for what to do. You just have to get adept at switching between the factions in menus and controlling them. Generally something you might try after you've got the basic mechanics of the game down.

As far as the "upper limit" of a planet.
If the planet has a colony cost of 0, its limitless AFAIK, just how long you want to let the pop expand.
If it has a colony cost, its limited by how much population can be supported by the infrastructure present. Now this is important in a few ways. 1 even if you don't have enough infrastructure to support it, civilian colony ships will often still bring colonists to the planet and cause "unrest" issues due to overpopulating. This can be stopped by say setting the colonists source to be destination. however that sucks if trying to build up a couple planets at a time.

Part of my personal thoughts on early colonization. In the opening stretch of the game I'll generally build a supply of infrastructure to plop on the moon supporting ~10-20million colonists. From there, a combination of terraforming and civilian infrastructure (colonies will slowly generate their own infrastructure, if its needed, and civilian transports will move it to where it is needed), by the time luna hits a colony cost in the 0.1-0.5 range, it generally has tens of thousands of infrastructure, that can now be shifted to other colonies as needed. Might take a numbe rof years to do this, but that initial nest egg of infrastructure I made early on, easily can make further expansion outside of Sol extremely easy.

"If the planet has a colony cost of 0, its limitless AFAIK, just how long you want to let the pop expand."

Does this means there is a way to "halt" populational growth (without resorting to mass colonization?).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »
Does this means there is a way to "halt" populational growth (without resorting to mass colonization?).

I find glassing the planet usually works :)

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
I find glassing the planet usually works :)

What do you mean?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 03:41:18 PM »
Steve means destroying the planets ability to sustain life :s.
Anyhow, there is no limit to the population size a perfect planet can sustain , though growth does slow down significantly when it gets high.
I have a related question, but it's somewhat of a spoiler.
What are the requirements for a planet to be habitable to an NPR? At the moment I'm just searching every low cost planet; but I'm sure there's a better way.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
Anyhow, there is no limit to the population size a perfect planet can sustain , though growth does slow down significantly when it gets high.
What are the requirements for a planet to be habitable to an NPR? At the moment I'm just searching every low cost planet; but I'm sure there's a better way.

"Steve means destroying the planets ability to sustain life :s."

That´s too extreme.

I have a question also, if i set the NPR generation to a 100%, does that means every system i create (via SM) that have a suitable planet will have a NPR? or is it limited to generation through JP exploration?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »

Do you mean habitable in terms of the chance of it being an NPR home world, or the range that an existing NPR would consider to be habitable?

Don't forget btw that NPR tolerance are different (depending on their home world and tolerance ranges) so they may colonise planets you consider uninhabitable

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
A new NPR home world may be created during system generation if a planet falls within the following ranges:

Oxygen atm from 0.07 to 0.40
Surface Temperature from -40C to 60C
Gravity from 0.4G to 2.5G
No Dangerous Gases

The environmental tolerances of the NPR will then be set with their home world as ideal and a random range either side.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
There´s any way to edit the NPR stats after they are created? or do i need to create them as player races and then transform them into NPR, is this even possible?

Oh, and how do i add construction brigades on SM Mode?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »
What about methane or ammonia breathers, I'll assume that oxygen can be swapped out for those, as long as either of the other toxic gasses aren't present?
There´s any way to edit the NPR stats after they are created? or do i need to create them as player races and then transform them into NPR, is this even possible?

Oh, and how do i add construction brigades on SM Mode?
I'm pretty sure you can't change them after you've created them, though there's 'space  master options' on the intelligence window I can't access due to my resolution which may it may not be related.
You create NPRs in one of two ways, either under the spacemaster option on the main menu there is 'add extra NPR' which adds a new system somewhere with an NPR set up on a suitable planet, you can't edit this but it'll be created in the same way as any NPRs generated during system exploration, so further along the game it'll be larger and higher tech.
OR, under the system information window(f9) you can setup a new empire on any habitable world, that means any world which meets the requirements steve just listed, use the 'create empire button' then you get a window allowing modification of their name, theme, economy, tech points, etc, you can also change their max atmosphere pressure, gravity deviation, oxygen pressure deviation and temperature deviation.
Most importantly there's an option to create them as an NPR. 
If you want to add a new empire to an unsuitable planet you'll first need to terraform that planet, create a colony there using a pre existing empire and use spacemaster options to modify the planet. Oh and you should use teh 'homeworld minerals' button to make sure they don't run out and die early.
Finally adding construction brigades first requires adding the tech for building them, then after turning on spacemaster mode, go to ground unit training, select the unit type you want then press the 'add unit' button.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:51:39 PM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 06:21:12 AM »
Can you explain to me exactly what goes to the Academy and what goes to Mechanics forum? i feel a bit lost.

No it's a bit blurry :)  I think the best criterion though is probably that "How do I do X" questions should go to The Academy while "What is the rule for how Y works" should go to Mechanics.

The main thing here is that Mechanics is where Steve posts rules changes.  More recently this has been in the change log threads, but in the past it was in new threads, so historically we've made an effort to minimize the number of new threads in Mechanics so that it was easier to find Steve's threads.  In addition, in the past it's been the case that when someone opens a new thread in Mechanics then more new players see the thread and start posting their "How do I do X" questions there (instead of The Academy), which contributes to the blurring of the line between them.

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
Except I just blurred the lines more by making steve post some mechanics here XD

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
"Steve means destroying the planets ability to sustain life :s."

That´s too extreme.

Though quite easy to organise in one of Steves games,  just put a Chinese colony there...
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Krictic (OP)

• K
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 06:53:28 PM »
Though quite easy to organise in one of Steves games,  just put a Chinese colony there...

There is already a chinese colony on my AAR. xD

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:15 PM »
Alternatively in my game china seems to be the strongest power, their greater pop seems to have allowed them to avoid a cash crunch like I have experienced and I'm sure the other powers are affected by, they seem to have the greatest tonnage in shipping too.
Actually, china may cause the death of everyone, they're upto their third gate building ship, I don't actually see them working anymore though, after gating sol I've lost track of them.