Author Topic: Official v5.02 Bugs Thread  (Read 18354 times)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Official v5.02 Bugs Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »
I have seen the following sequential error set at least twice now in the same order.

The two error messages are I think from NPR(s), however I am adding O2 to two planets and removing it from another.

First there was an Error 94

[attachment=1:2wr3l4nx]error 94.jpg[/attachment:2wr3l4nx]

Followed by 12 x Error 3201

[attachment=0:2wr3l4nx]error 3201 B.jpg[/attachment:2wr3l4nx]

I assume this is an NPR attempting a design since I was not designing a new ship class. They have made no difference to my game play.

In addition the shipyard add task button has greyed out again for no apparent reason.
Steve do you want to see the database, I saved it so let me know if its any use to you.

Regards
IanD

Offline Untelligent

• Leading Rate
  • U
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
Quote from: "Untelligent"
Just found out about this game earlier today, playing through with the wiki tutorial.

When I open up the Colony Summary screen, I get this error message three times, then it continues to the colony summary screen:

Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of null
Please report to (forum address)

I'm running Windows Vista, if it means anything.

Update: this only happens on one of my computers. The computer the bug was encountered on was a laptop (which I ultimately decided to stop playing the game on as ResizeEnable was too much of a hassle), while the bug was not encountered on my desktop. If nobody else is finding this bug, it probably isn't worth worrying about, but I wouldn't know.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
Just found out about this game earlier today, playing through with the wiki tutorial.

When I open up the Colony Summary screen, I get this error message three times, then it continues to the colony summary screen:

Error in GetCommanderName
Error 94 was generated by Aurora
Invalid use of null
Please report to (forum address)

I'm running Windows Vista, if it means anything.

Update: this only happens on one of my computers. The computer the bug was encountered on was a laptop (which I ultimately decided to stop playing the game on as ResizeEnable was too much of a hassle), while the bug was not encountered on my desktop. If nobody else is finding this bug, it probably isn't worth worrying about, but I wouldn't know.
Wildly guessing here, but maybe you have an officer(s) somewhere that doesn't have a name?

EDIT: Found a bug: ticking the Commercial Only box when designing a ship class hides the Maintenance Storage Bay, which is a non-military component.

Offline EarthquakeDamage

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
It's possible to design a FTL ship using max tech (photonic drive + collapsium armor + "-100% efficiency +50% power" + fighter and/or GB engine).  There should probably be an upper limit on ship speed since there already is one for missile speed.  Behold this useless but demonstrative example:
Code: [Select]
TEST SHIP class Fast Attack Craft    65 tons     7 Crew     80.5 BP      TCS 1.3  TH 450  EM 0
346153 km/s     Armour 1-1     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 13%    IFR: 0.2%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 75 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years

TEST ENGINE 2 (1)    Power 450    Fuel Use 2000%    Signature 450    Armour 0    Exp 175%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 13.8 billion km   (11 hours at full power)

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes

Also, the ship design screen belches when you remove all components (excluding armor, of course).  The amount of armor on the ship doesn't matter.  The error:
Error in UpdateDesign
Error 6 was generated by Aurora
Overflow

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:22 AM »
This bug has been mentioned before, so this is just a friendly reminder/letting you know it has happened to others. :D   About 1/3 the time my salvagers pick up ship components from wrecks I get the:  
13x   salvaged from so and so.  No components are picked up and the cargo listing shows "13 (blank)", after which you have to delete them as you can't unload the nothing components.  Also the cargo capacity actually goes up 1 per item so the capacity would read 50000/50013.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2010, 02:37:50 PM »
Quote from: "Sotak246"
This bug has been mentioned before, so this is just a friendly reminder/letting you know it has happened to others. :D   About 1/3 the time my salvagers pick up ship components from wrecks I get the:  
13x   salvaged from so and so.  No components are picked up and the cargo listing shows "13 (blank)", after which you have to delete them as you can't unload the nothing components.  Also the cargo capacity actually goes up 1 per item so the capacity would read 50000/50013.

Actually, you can unload them. Use the "unload all installations" order. Once the freighter tries to uload it, you will get a message "loading problem, TG XXX unable to fullfill unload order...." but the holds will be empty afterwards.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Hi

New here and working my way through the tutorials I reached tutorial 9 and when I tried to access the system view window F9 I got the following error:

Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered
You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL.
Please report to viewforum.php?f=11

I'm running Windows 7 32 Bit.

This was really annoying as I was starting to get the hang of some of the ideas this was my third attempt at the tutorial and the furthest I had ever got.

Hope someone can help.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
Hi

New here and working my way through the tutorials I reached tutorial 9 and when I tried to access the system view window F9 I got the following error:

Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered
You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL.
Please report to viewforum.php?f=11

I'm running Windows 7 32 Bit.

This was really annoying as I was starting to get the hang of some of the ideas this was my third attempt at the tutorial and the furthest I had ever got.

Hope someone can help.
The solution for that problem is part of this FAQ.

Quote from: "sloanjh"
"I just installed Aurora, and am getting the following error:

ErrorinLaunchSystemWindow
error 713 was generatedby Aurora
Class not registered
You need the following file installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DL

What do I do?":

You're missing a MicroSoft library that's needed by Aurora.  If you search the forums for MSSTDFMT.DLL you should see several posts on how to fix this (basically find it on the web from a trusted source and either register it on your machine or put it into the Aurora directory).  I'm linking in two of these threads here that should work for most people:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1812&p=17194&hilit=install+copy#p17194
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1091&p=11693&hilit=msstdfmt+dll#p11693

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »
Actually, you can unload them. Use the "unload all installations" order. Once the freighter tries to uload it, you will get a message "loading problem, TG XXX unable to fullfill unload order...." but the holds will be empty afterwards.

Tried that, got the message, but the 0 items were still there.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »
Quote from: "EarthquakeDamage"
It's possible to design a FTL ship using max tech (photonic drive + collapsium armor + "-100% efficiency +50% power" + fighter and/or GB engine).  There should probably be an upper limit on ship speed since there already is one for missile speed.  
I've set 90% light speed as the maximum in v5.1

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:24 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Starting NPR have system ID numbers adjacent to player race.

I did a conventional start, and the moment I left my home system I started running into NPR jump gates from the initial NPR, plus his homeworld was only two jumps from mine.  This seemed a bit odd for a 1000 system start, but I chalked it up to the luck of the draw.  I finally peeked at the system numbers on the Galactic (F11) map, and discovered that mine was system 0 and his is system 1.  Now that I've looked, I think I remember the same thing happenning some time last year in another game.

I assume that this is because Aurora has a system ID counter when setting up races at game start; the player tets system 0, the first NPR gets system 1, the second NPR 2 etc.  Please change this so that both the NPR and the player are located randomly in the range of possible system IDs - besides landing me right next to the NPR, I also think it affected the "nearby systems" probability because I'm right at the edge of system-ID space.  (Hmmmm - I wonder if I jumped to a negative system ID if I'd go through a glowing band of energy and come out with weird eyes and godlike powers.)

Thanks,
John

PS - If this is intentional behavior, please turn this into a request :-)
I've changed the starting NPRs to a random system number. The player race may as well stay as 1 because with a random NPR number there is no difference probability-wise between 1 and any other random number in terms of being close to the NPR.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:58 AM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Something seems off with the planet numbering... I just saw a system that had "Des Moines-A I" and "Des Moines-A IV" with nothing else.
This has been around a long time. When a system is generated, some of the planets are converted into asteroid belts and some are removed for other reasons, such as being too close to the orbit of a second star, being within the roche limit or having too high a temperature. The database retains the original orbital shell numbers and uses them to display the planetary number. I haven't tried to fix it because it is referenced in a few places and I was concerned about missing something and ending up with different planetary names in different places. I will fix it eventually :). In the meantime, you can rename the planets to the correct numbers where required.

Steve

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2010, 03:15:36 AM »
I have to say that on the whole, your system modeling seems pretty good, given what we know at the moment.  (Extrasolar planets are a hobby of mine.  I've read a lot of the literature.)  I've yet to see any hot Jupiters, but we don't really know how common they are yet;  Kepler should tell us in a few years.

I have a few issues with the treatment of habitable (and inhabited!) planets, but this probably isn't the thread for it.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I've changed the starting NPRs to a random system number. The player race may as well stay as 1 because with a random NPR number there is no difference probability-wise between 1 and any other random number in terms of being close to the NPR.

As long as you don't allow (at some time in the future) multiple player races to be generated at startup, or use the sequential numbering when generating player races in-game (which I don't think you do).  I suggested doing them all randomly so that this wouldn't pop up again at some time in the future.

Another way that putting the player race at 1 is a bit odd: galaxy growth.  If you start with 1000 systems, then you'll probably have a cluster near your home system that's sitting at 999.  If you later bump the galaxy size up to 10000 (due to things getting crowded), then you'll wind up with a big set of fresh territory that's right next to your core systems.  This will be a very subtle effect, though, since the new systems will probably only be able to come back to the old through undiscovered JP.

John

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Damage Per Shot (4): 9     Rate of Fire: 5 seconds     Range Modifier: 7
Max Range 630,000 km     Railgun Size: 10 HS    Railgun HTK: 5
Power Requirement: 27    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 25

Got a Railgun (max techlevel, still testing) that requires 27 energy, gets only 25, still fires every 5 seconds.

Comming from here:
http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=23714#p23714