Author Topic: How big and long have some of your games gone?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline theonlystd (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
How big and long have some of your games gone?
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:33:18 AM »
Just curious how far along and massive some of you guys have gotten your games before moving on?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How big and long have some of your games gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »
Think my longest was the 5.30 game, lasted for 66 years. I had knowledge of 100+ systems, and surveyed about 70% of them. I had 8 colonies, 5 at 50 million+ pop. Also had another 10 or so mining colonies.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
In the 5.14 days, someone had a game that had gone on for 150+ years I believe.  They even posted a link to its DB so others could poke around with it.  There were quite a few NPRs if I recall.

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
My longest ever lasted nearly a century, had mapped and surveyed (mostly) about 200 systems. Had perhaps two dozen colonies, but most were fledgling at best; only had three not counting Earth over 50 million.

Spoiler: My shortest lasted only a couple years. A wormhole opened in my home system and Invaders decimated me.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
Waresky had some that went on for prodigious amounts of time.

Offline laz

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:15:42 AM »
In the 5.14 days, someone had a game that had gone on for 150+ years I believe.  They even posted a link to its DB so others could poke around with it.  There were quite a few NPRs if I recall.

Aye that was my game. the DB became corrupt in the end after 200+ years

Offline theonlystd (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »
Aye that was my game. the DB became corrupt in the end after 200+ years

nice.. How big was your empire at that point? Alot of big nprs kicking around?

Offline laz

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »
There was an NPR I'd met very early on that had expanded into a massive empire. It clashed with some of the other NPR's that were present in that sector of space. My only connection to their part of the galaxy was along one jump point in a system with just an asteroid belt. I had a listening post there just to monitor the traffic. Had plenty of trade between our civies over the years. The other NPR's were too far from me to really have any involvement. I did have cloaked scout ships explore their space, got to witness a few battles too.

I expanded into other territories away from this direction. I divided my empire into three colonial sectors. New Earth, Babylon and Sian. They each had 500+ million population and Babylon and New Earth had huge material deposits in and around their systems so I transferred a lot of Earth's industries to them and eventually shipyards as well. I think I had presence in about 30+ star systems. Rather than keep Earth as the epicentre I expanded and made these sector capitals the industrial hubs. Earth still had 3-4 local systems I was using to extract minerals and feed its industry that was left but for the most part Earth became a financial hub and less important for maintaining the fleet's of my empire.

I kept a reserve "elastic defence" fleet around earth in order to reinforce any of my 3 sectors from attack.

Most of my fleet was stationed at Sian or New Earth. Babylon was located quite internally close wheres New Earth and Sian had multiple jump points into space I had little or no presence in. I did come into contact with a hostile NPR and captured one of their survey ships attempting to enter into my system. But I could never find out where this survey ship had come from their home world was elusive to me. Sadly the DB corrupted at that point.

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
I am at 110 years at the moment but on 28 systems.

Perhaps I like to push the 30 day button more then most. I could do fast exploration but trying to built up the core. I would like to go for atleast 500 years and I think it is possible.

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
my current 5.3 game is at 2068 after starting in 2020
Found 130 systems - surveyed about 80
have maybe a dozen colonies - only 2 over 10 mil but 2 more close...
I have run into 1 star swarm - 1 allied Empire and maybe 5 systems of what I think are Precursors - 1 ruin with robot soldiers that chewed my garrison battalion and Engineer brigade and the reinforcement Brigade and Transport ship - and colony vessel and colonists etc. The Legions will return in due course..... Found 2 other useful ruins and one outpost that I have got nothing from so far. -I use small 2k scout ships with 1 geo and 1 gav sensors systems and limited active sensors and don't learn much before the inevitable complete destruction when they run into something...
I like to base colonies 2-3 jumps out and then get 2k maintenance on them so the survey ships don't have to go right back to Earth - have 4 such now and started on 2 more but am going through a Duranium shortage so Maintenance facilities have been put on the 1% backburners while more mines and automines are built empire wide..

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »
A lot of give and take, especially as the game progresses and colonies start running out of minerals.