Author Topic: Any plans to open source aurora  (Read 4360 times)

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
Any plans to open source aurora
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
* Moved to correct forum due to moderator request * not so sure what grammar to american school children is down to but meh

Is there any plans to open source this game to open it up to the open source community ala sourceforge.net etc to enable a wider auidience to assist with programming this game, i guess this is aimed at the guy that programs the game and or any team. 

Would help i would guess the game along if more hands could contribute to improving the game

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
Re: Any plans to open source aurora
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
Certainly makes sense if a single developer isnt planning on profiting from it and wanting to get the game developing a bit more than they can handle themselves opening it up to other programmers to assist would certainly move development along at a better speed and result in a better game.  i would think the GNU public license would cover things and a webpage via sourceforge.net or similiar open source community would attract other c++ programmers

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
The biggest issue is the game is written in VB6, not C++ or even a current version of VB.

As for my personal opinion, I doubt Steve would release the code to the wild, since any new suggestions are taken from the standpoint of "How will this improve Steve's game?" If Steve doesn't like it or think it will, it won't get into the game.

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
slight side note is anyone aware of any open source games that are similiar to aurora and links

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »
Quote from: ollobrains link=topic=3989. msg38684#msg38684 date=1313972515
slight side note is anyone aware of any open source games that are similiar to aurora and links

Maybe someone would clone Aurora with more egalitarian approach?

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
There IS IN FACT A clone of Aurora in the works!

Its done in C# and is MUCH fancier than the current Aurora, though I don't think its open source.

The game's name is Aurora II and its developer is Steve, someone who I think sometimes happens to frequent this very forums!

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
Aurora II is interesting, done a net search and the search for an open source project similiar but not identical to aurora leads to not very much

Offline Echo35

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
There IS IN FACT A clone of Aurora in the works!

Its done in C# and is MUCH fancier than the current Aurora, though I don't think its open source.

The game's name is Aurora II and its developer is Steve, someone who I think sometimes happens to frequent this very forums!

Mmm, C#! No more disgusting VB6 ftw.
". . . and that is why Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a b*#ch in space!"

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
Aurora II is interesting, done a net search and the search for an open source project similiar but not identical to aurora leads to not very much

Steve is the designer and programmer for both Aurora and Aurora II.  Aurora is written in VB6.  Aurora II is being written in C#.

I do not think Steve has any intention of releasing Aurora or Aurora II as FLOSS projects.  My impression is that he designed and programmed them for his personal satisfaction and enjoys retaining control of their direction and functionality.  They are part programming exercise to learn or refresh his VB6 and C# skills, and part hobby based on his pursuit of war games like Starfire.  However, if I am wrong, he will correct me.

I do not recall that there is a release date in mind for Aurora II.  However, if you are really interested in seeing a FLOSS version of Aurora, you might politely ask Steve to release Aurora as a FLOSS project when he eventually releases Aurora II.

Other than Aurora and Aurora II, I am not aware of any similar projects, FLOSS or otherwise.  Conversely, if you like in-depth strategy video games in a sandbox environment, I recommend Dwarf Fortress by Bay 12 Games.  It is not a FLOSS project, nor is it science fiction, but it is incredibly fun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:34:15 AM by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Echo35

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
Other than Aurora and Aurora II, I am not aware of any similar projects, FLOSS or otherwise.  Conversely, if you like in-depth strategy video games in a sandbox environment, I recommend Dwarf Fortress by Bay 12 Games.  It is not a FLOSS project, nor is it science fiction, but it is incredibly fun.

That game brought me here ;D
". . . and that is why Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a b*#ch in space!"

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »
Of course there always is the obvious solution... Start your own :)

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
Steve is the designer and programmer for both Aurora and Aurora II.  Aurora is written in VB6.  Aurora II is being written in C#.

I do not think Steve has any intention of releasing Aurora or Aurora II as FLOSS projects.  My impression is that he designed and programmed them for his personal satisfaction and enjoys retaining control of their direction and functionality.  They are part programming exercise to learn or refresh his VB6 and C# skills, and part hobby based on his pursuit of war games like Starfire.  However, if I am wrong, he will correct me.

I do not recall that there is a release date in mind for Aurora II.  However, if you are really interested in seeing a FLOSS version of Aurora, you might politely ask Steve to release Aurora as a FLOSS project when he eventually releases Aurora II.

Yes steve not been seen since august 11 seems he might have abandoned even this website tongue in cheek there.  Well i do politley ask that he consider an open source option for aurora when he does eventually get around to aurora II.  Yeah read the bits about it being his personal project and so forth.  And like the previous guy dwarf fortress brought me here both good games

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »
Steve has a real life like all the rest of us, this is not his first nor his most extended absence.

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:52:35 AM »
Well, this talk has inspired me to restart from scratch my solar system generator project, essentially the equivalent of Aurora's F9 screen.   Doubt it would be an actual 4X game since I do not have that much time, but I hope to be able to complete the C# generator soon.   Just hope it won't join my pile of unfinished projects.

I'm not releasing any binaries or source however until I have something to release, still playing around with Entity Framework (I'm used to using nHibernate so this is different), but got the database connections and schema working.   As for the mechanics of solar system generation I'll be using a simple statistical model inspired off of GURPS Space 4th edition, though with time hopefully move to a full accretion disk simulation like StarGen.

Offline ollobrains (OP)

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:12:09 AM »
well actualy youre skills might be useful on an existing project it isnt quite 4x but they have plans for colony management and some form of influence as u go thro what is not elite but close to it.

Or anyone else for that matter that wants to assist on a open source space project

http://www.spacesimcentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35&sid=3ac1b394ad5a92a06d10dd2b68da21bf