Author Topic: Terraforming to Ministry of Technology?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Terraforming to Ministry of Technology?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:50:01 PM »
Because what really matter, policy-wise is what something is DOING, not what it is.

Right now, Infrastructures is the only minister that doesn't need anything from another minister for it to work. Military and Survey (and Commerce) need ships. Technology needs labs. What does Infrastructures need? Survey? Well, yes but it's not like a Survey minister can refuse to survey in the same way that an Infrastructues minister can refuse to produce a kind of ship.

No, Infrastructure got too much power right now.

[ooc]More seriously, I'm just pissed off because I choose this minister under the assumption that I'd be directing colonization, sorium harvester etc, and now I realize it is in fact useless.[/ooc]

Offline areyoua (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • a
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
The difference between, for example, terraforming complexes and terraforming components, to which I assume you are referring to isn't only what they are and where they are listed in accounting, its that complexes require workers and components require nothing but a few crew and some ship space those are workers that could be better used to produce installations. In the area of Automated mines, however, I am willing to compromise. Commerce will get to put them wherever it likes, but it will be Infrastructure that decides where the minerals that are produced are sent, and what they will be used for.

Infrastructure does need something. It needs the security provided by the Military, the minerals discovered by Survey, and the Transport capability of Commerce. The first two are obvious, but Commerce, I believe, is slightly more complex. When all the minerals on Earth are expended, where will we go for minerals? Wherever Survey finds minerals, but how will we get the mines necessary and perhaps the colonists there? Freighters. Freighters that are either directly controlled by Commerce or civilian controlled but can be contracted to work for Commerce. For an Infrastructure Minister to not build ships is to deliberately damage the Federation.

I do sense some concern over the uselessness of the Ministry of Commerce, but that concern is simply not to be, well, concerning. the power to designate new colonies for human colonization is something over which I have no sway. While the responsibility to build infrastructure is of the Ministry of Infrastructure, it has and will have no say on where infrastructure should go if I remain in Minister. Therefore, new colonies will be directly under the control of he who moves people and infrastructure, Commerce. Additionally, anything that is built on a ship, such as a Sorium Harvester or Asteroid Miner, is under the power of Commerce and anything produced in that case is the responsibility and privilege of Commerce to utilize.

George Payne
Infrastructure Minister

[ooc]When I say "infrastructure" without a capital "I" I mean infrastructure used to support colonists on hostile planets, not factories, mines, labs, etc.[/ooc]

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
Senator Pha Duc Tho, I believe the previous bill for terraforming was ill formed and a such I would be happy to request terraforming being moved away from technology, it made no sense to have it located with them, this is why I believe the multi vote system is flawed, I don't even believe the Technology minister believe it should lie with him.

Cannot rightful support your resolution of all colonised worlds under 10 million, but I could support a bill which state all mining colonies, the minister of commerce has a great amount of power as it controls the transfer of mineral offworld to the home world.

I think patience is in order, there is always a presidential election in 5 years, and dependant who is voted in you may find yourself in a new position.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:34 AM »
Actually, Terroforming now lies under Infrastructure. The passage in the Charter stating it was under Technology was due to a clerk miscopying it.

Anyway, I think this debate has gone on for long enough. It is no time to fight for power and influence, but time to tame the stars and I'm confident Minister Payne will do his job perfectly, no matter what it might be.

Phan Duc Tho