Author Topic: free gifts between player races, not player-controlled  (Read 1113 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
free gifts between player races, not player-controlled
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
I am playing 3 earth-based empires this campaign.. They are all friendly with each other, and have a survey sharing agreement.
However, there's no alliance, and also no technology trading agreement.

But.. WHen One of my races discovers a tech, sometimes one, or both of the other players recieve a gift of similar tech, but one level lower.
For instance, when I researched magneto missile drives, the other two races got ion-pulse missile drives as a gift.
Now, I discovered ECM-3, and 1 of the other races got ECM-1 as a free gift.

This happens automatically, no player input involved.
WHile it is all nice and friendly, to share some tech with friends, it is not the way I envisioned relations between the nations, RP-wise.
Not for nothing did I set their relations to friendly, and choose not to have a research pact.

Any way I can prevent this free flow of technology, other than maybe SM-ing the racial views the nations have of each other to be much lower?

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Re: free gifts between player races, not player-controlled
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
Nope.  Steve set this up as a realistic approach to the trickle down of technology from government/military use to general use in the public arena.  There are many examples of this over the last fifty years and once something becomes available for public use there is nothing stopping another nation from gaining that technology.  Just the price you pay for playing nice and not conquering your neighbor.  :twisted:

Adam.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
Hehe okay. Thanks for the clarification :D

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »
Quote from: "martinuzz"
Any way I can prevent this free flow of technology, other than maybe SM-ing the racial views the nations have of each other to be much lower?

Yes.  Stop sharing a planet with them.

If you want to be nice about it, move to Mars.  Otherwise, conquest or extermination are always options . . .