Author Topic: making wealth more meaningfull  (Read 2390 times)

Offline rato (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • r
making wealth more meaningfull
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:41 AM »
now that we can't even subsidize the private sector wealth has become extremely redundant, and due to the fact that this feature only focuses on the negatives it doesn't matter if you have 1 wealth or 100,000 wealth as long as you keep it in the positives.
i suggest adding more interactions of wealth, for example a crunch time option on the research screen that speeds up your research by 5% or something if you spend wealth.  you could also use wealth to speed up construction times.

Offline YABG

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Y
Re: making wealth more meaningfull
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:08:48 AM »
I think it might be more a balancing thing - when doing a conventional start if a bit of extra industry and labs I've had to throttle my production to prevent the empire going into debt.  In VB6 I found that I had to curtail ship production after rushing mangeto plasma tech because the new ships cost so much and I wanted a lot of them, "now"!

Perhaps early game ship components are a little too cheap or early game wealth production is still a little high? Personally I'd like to see wealth production tied more to the civilian economy and the player having a greater ability to impact that but that stuff's probably a pipe dream :) .

Another simple idea would be introducing a tax rate and a tariff rate.  A higher than optimal tax rate could give production and population growth penalties and a lower than optimal tax rate give production and population growth bonuses.  The tariff rate could increase the amount of wealth you get from civilian shipping but reduce the amount the shipping lines get, so it hurts/aids your civilian economy in the long run depending on how high/low you set it.  The wealth creation tech would get replaced with a higher optimal tax rate tech in this case.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
In every test campaign, Steve had wealth issues so I think you're being a bit too hasty here.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »
imo just needs an inflation mechanic that drains 10% of your stored wealth per year, that way you can't unrealistically save wealth.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
Steve already changed it so that you can only store twice your annual income so the old massive stockpiles are gone.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
Steve already changed it so that you can only store twice your annual income so the old massive stockpiles are gone.

Yes, and very sad that is, too.  My empires will be crashing even harder when they attempt to make the transition from Conventional to Trans-Newtonian.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:05:35 PM by Father Tim »

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Doesn't a larger stockpile influence civvie mining colonies? Maybe I am wrong.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
So one thing I've been wondering about this is, is there a window or screen I've missed that details where all your wealth is going? Cuz ya know, money is all about income - expenses and sometimes you gotta increase the former or decrease the latter.  :)

The following users thanked this post: L0ckAndL0ad

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
So one thing I've been wondering about this is, is there a window or screen I've missed that details where all your wealth is going? Cuz ya know, money is all about income - expenses and sometimes you gotta increase the former or decrease the latter.  :)
Wealth/Trade tab, right side. Expenditures are shown there.

Offline SevenOfCarina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »
Actually I think he removed that restriction after he changed wealth to scale with the number of workers in TN industries.

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »
Ah ok thanks. I looked at that tab right after start, but not in the years since then.  :)

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
I would suggest making conventional industries construct-able and cost only wealth, though a large amount (say 500?)
Basically you have an option to spend wealth and time to reduce the cost of structures (via the upgrade route), or get some benefit out of a population without having to spend TN resources.

It would still be much better to build TN structures directly, mainly because a 500 wealth cost would translate to taking long to build (especially since you needs to build many CI to get a decent effect. )
Also TN structures are much better at being specialized anyway.
(Sidenote: I would also increase the cargo size of CI to be much larger, say 125000 or such, to keep TN structures a more appealing prospect, even for moving about. )

It should only entail a single SQL command / change, so little effort.